Phoenix CE and Lassie CE

News, happenings
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#61 Post by Lobster »

BTW, I started a new full time job, moved to a new home and got my 28 year old son married all in the last few weeks. That is why I haven't been around much. I'm still keeping EZpup updated ready for the 2.18 release and would be happy to have it included in Talking Stick by default, with some obvious omissions like a more limited number of themes, etc.
All good news. Congratulations Warren.
I thought you were on holiday ;)

I am using IceVista IV now (In Linux Tmxxine Prism) The two XP themes are probaly of most interest to the way Robert (ecomoney) is going with Talking Stick. They are the ones I use the most if not using IceVistaIV

Look forward to Ezpup 2.18 :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

cb88

#62 Post by cb88 »

unless i have missunderstood xorg 7.3 will switch resolutions with out exiting X and may be in 2.20 since is scedule for release this month.

@lobster tinysid plays .sid files they were written for the comodore64 personal computer in the 80's early 90's and many are around 4kb the quality is not great(it is 8-bit audio after all) but they play a couple minutes and it is not like mp3s can do that in a small size that i know of.

i uploaded a dotpup of it already in this thread should have put it in dotpups

the syntax is very simple it is also only 10Kb there is also xtinysid that the .pet also installs in the mutimedia menu
#tinysid /root/.sids/nameoffile or #tinysid /root/music/sids/nameofmusic

here are some .sid files http://www.transbyte.org/SID/HVSC_Top_100.zip

2byte

#63 Post by 2byte »

2byte wrote:
4) Furnish a menu editor to make it easy to add or remove items and categories in the xdg menus.

This is quite feasible, too, but won't be usable anywhere else i.e. in mainstream Puppy or derivatives not based on the CE menu structure.
I don't see why it wouldn't. It would still be the xdg menu system subject to all of it's requirements. Fixmenus might need to be revamped? XDG, JWM, and IceWM all support a multi-tier layout and I'll bet that if we did manage to pull it off it would find it's way into the main distribution. :)

richard.a

#64 Post by richard.a »

keithcleaver wrote:OK, I have uploaded a "beta" version of the 2.19CE offline web page at :

http://www.geocities.com/martyrs_forever/index.html

Any suggestions, let me know.

Thanks.
Well done :)

Just a thought for those of us whose eyesight isn't as good as it "used-to-was" :) - Please... No black on dark blue (top left image) on account of inadequate contrast.

And I wonder if this is why more and more younger people are wearing specs these days? Eye strain going with the modern trend of dark on dark poor contrast screens? Maybe, eh??

Anyway I like the Youtube bit very much, and need to mention the forum url on it needs fixing. John changed servers to murga-linux.com and many links from older forum posts don't actually translate properly either as a result.

Lobster,

Re a thought I discussed with you maybe 6 months ago; I have an old Aptiva 2158-267 with an AMD K6-2 380 and 2 SD slots running 2 free 64Mb sticks (nobody here sells them anymore, they are giveaway/chuckaway items). USB isn't working on this box anymore :(, but that isn't a must-have either.

On its 20Gb HDD (no, that wasn't oem; oem was 6.8Gb) there is an installed Lycoris about to be replaced with something else, 2 installed Puppies (215ce and GrafPup 2.0) and several live CD pup_save files from different live configurations. Thinking of making it into a demo box I can cart around in the boot/trunk of the car, to show off how well it runs.
Last edited by richard.a on Wed 29 Aug 2007, 03:40, edited 1 time in total.

WhoDo

#65 Post by WhoDo »

2byte wrote:I don't see why it wouldn't. It would still be the xdg menu system subject to all of it's requirements. Fixmenus might need to be revamped? XDG, JWM, and IceWM all support a multi-tier layout and I'll bet that if we did manage to pull it off it would find it's way into the main distribution. :)
We already had an example of this with the variant of xdg menus that was available with earlier 2.xx series of Puppy not being compatible with rarsa's original port. Only when Barry and rarsa standardized their xdg category schema with one another were they able to work homogeneously with fixmenus, petget, pupget and other inter-related scripts. Even now there are dotpets created for one or other of them that don't show up in the current version until you amend their xdg category by hand. Even xdg-alien doesn't help because it is category schema dependent.

It's not that it won't work ... of course it will. It's just that any move away from the standard schema makes it more or less incompatible with what has gone before. It even effected versions of EZpup in that Open Office refused to show up in xdg unless I included my own schema's version of the xdg dotpet files. If I didn't do that then the categories were wrong and the menu entries disappeared. If I did include those dotpets, then some versions of Open Office that installed in a different location went missing. :roll:

I'm not trying to talk you out of it ... only warn of potential consequences that may impact on overall usability when upgrading, for example.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

richard.a

#66 Post by richard.a »

WhoDo wrote:It even effected versions of EZpup in that Open Office refused to show up in xdg
Mine is like that mate :)

Richard
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

richard.a

#67 Post by richard.a »

cb88 wrote:It is here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=21206

too bad about VLC how does it compare on a Pentium 2?
do you have any other sugestions? and what are you capable of doing with a pentium 1?
Here in Australia, Pentiums - Pentia if you want to be pedantic lol - aka Pentium 1's (incorrectly named) are literally given away. That makes them a good thing to be able to run puppy on.

64Mb strips of RAM are also give-aways quite often, so another good reason.

From personal experience, I'd suggest Pentium 100s with 64 will run puppy very nicely and do most of the things a free computer should be required to do. Pentium IIs will do the same job but just slightly faster, and as a bonus, the PentiumII includes the MMX facilities which is one reason why they called it a PentiumII Pro :)

For a kiosk you could consider using an also likely to be free extra CD (not DVD) drive for the live CD. That way the tray can perhaps be less likely to be played with. Or even mounted internally to prevent access in a cafe, bus station, airport, whatever.

Richard in Oz
Not a wizard :)
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

keithcleaver

#68 Post by keithcleaver »

Lobster wrote:
keithcleaver wrote:OK, I have uploaded a "beta" version of the 2.19CE offline web page at :

http://www.geocities.com/martyrs_forever/index.html

Any suggestions, let me know.

Thanks.
thanks for updating :)
will you be doing more?
Will someone else carry on with your code

the box on the left make the text white so it shows up at low brightness
move the talking stick logo into the same box
make sure all the 'mores' in the table are on a line
I'll make these changes and re-post it. The Talking Stick Logo IS in the same box in my browser (Seamonkey). What are you using?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#69 Post by Lobster »

What are you using?
Just say no to drugs (unless someone offers them for free) :oops:

Oh! I see what you mean . . .
What I mean is move the logo from the top box to the second box on the left (where there is room)

Great job. The page is now up to date (when these changes are made) The css file has not changed? So you can just cut and update to the wiki.

Barry has announced an Alpha of Puppy 2.20 for 4th Sept.(aprox)
We can start to base Talking Stick around that or see if 2.18 emerges - that decision will be up to Robert.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#70 Post by Lobster »

Richard in Oz
Not a wizard
:D I always enjoy seeing your smiling avatar
So that is a kind of magic

I wonder if you can start to see a pattern emerge? A plan of action and priorities for Talking Stick?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

richard.a

#71 Post by richard.a »

And I enjoy your cheerful banter mate :)

Thanks for the nice things said. Just been spending the whole evening following all the links to the Cybercafe articles and finally ended up back on these forums where 10 mins ago I sent an email of encouragement to Jean to try and forestall any anti-productive reversion to 'doze.

Will have a look again tomorrow, it's past bedtime here now... enjoy your day, just think here in the antipodes we are 10 hours give or take ahead of you guys!

That means, of course, we are even further ahead of our cousins the other side of the Atlantic from you. Ummm.... better not pursue that <grin>

Night mate, see you "further down the log" as we used to say in my days as an Amateur Radio Operator. I held the callsign of VK5DQ for many years :) :D

Richard.
No wizards, no yellow brick roads :)

cb88

#72 Post by cb88 »

sorry about calling The Pentium a pentium 1 would you prefer that i call it an 80586 LOL? the particular model in my laptop is a 80523!

could the CE edtion be released as a .pet like EZpup EZpup is 15mb shouldn't we be able to get everything in another 15mb .pet plus EZpup if we want to remaster into a ready to go live cd then that will be great too if we don't then 2.20 will come out and people will use it. just like with EZpup only a few modifications are made and you have 2.15CE all over again it is just great! what we would see is that we can see ehancements build up and not just be forgotten over time

also icewm is now 1.2.32 would it be worth while to upgrade it perhaps this more of an EZpup issue?

Pizzasgood

#73 Post by Pizzasgood »

Also, blue screens with non graphical text on them make them very nervous!!!! How much work would it take to change the initial colour to something more friendly?
That would be reassuring, more like "Oh, it's supposed to do that" rather than "Uh oh, is that an error?"

Skimming through the dialog manpages, it doesn't look like you can change the colors (other than the text itself). You might have to port them to a different dialog program to change the colorscheme, or maybe just recompile dialog with different defaults (or have it load them from a file in /etc or something). But maybe it's already possible, I didn't look too hard.

You can do some tweaking to XDG without actually changing the categories themselves, just moving them around. I don't know how much that would amount to though.

I can't say for 2.17, but in 2.14 the menu isn't all that bad. Sometimes you wonder if something's in the "Destop", "System", "Setup", or "Utility" menus, but it really isn't that hard to just look (one advantage of not cascading too much is that it's easier to skim through everything). I'm not against cascading it some more or improving it, but I'd like to know what it is that's wrong first. As far as I see, the only real issue is that some categories are too similar, namely those above. And that's not a terribly bad issue.

But I'm also somewhat calloused to stuff like this, generally just accepting what I'm given. So if someone points out the issues I'd appreciate it. (And before you say it, no, "It doesn't look like the Start menu!" doesn't count. It eats "Start menus" for breakfast.)
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

richard.a

#74 Post by richard.a »

Pizzasgood I also hear you and agree with you over the menuing as a personal preference. However the point I was making is that the product isn't being developed for you, or for me, for that matter :)

Please don't take offence mate, because the point of it is aimed at those who don't see things the way you and I do :D

If you are used to a cascading menu with things in their immutable locations, then you will be totally lost if you've been painted into that dark corner called "The Redmond Way" :(

Once they are converted to a better system, then they can be converted to a different MO to get you to the same spot, faster :)

Been there, done that, on a personal note, and also in one-on-one interfacing with newbies.

It is my opinion that the "different" menu system is the sort of thing that will cause someone in charge - who is unconvinced - to make a decision to reverse what has been painstakingly set up.

Just a thought though :)

Richard

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#75 Post by Lobster »

cb88 wrote: @lobster tinysid plays .sid files they were written for the comodore64 personal computer in the 80's early 90's and many are around 4kb the quality is not great
Many thanks for bringing this to our awareness. Great for 'RetroPup' (not yet conceived), not sure that it would work for Talking Stick. I had an email from Rudy and I hope he will be providing TS sounds / music

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Bert

#76 Post by Bert »

Tronkel started an interesting discussion. Something worth thinking about for the community edition?

here's the link:
two+two=four
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]

Rudy

ideas

#77 Post by Rudy »

Talking ideas:

Window Manager:
I think the fvwm-crystal window manager is a nice prog. Uses ROX, etc., so not so unfamiliar + has some nice optics + very light weight & fast. For a change. Has somebody got some experience with this WM?

Music score:
My professional life kept me away from my favorite hobby, but this will change hopefully. I will soon post the first sound-bits - but where: here, or in the TS 'artwork' section ? We are talking 300kb zip packages. Thanks for advice.

Eyes-Only

#78 Post by Eyes-Only »

I have it installed on my Debian-Sid Rudy and I don't feel that it's all that "special". It looks absolutely spectacular, true. But I found it to be rather unintuitive and somewhat confusing myself with a "learning curve" involved. So I never used it that much. This is why I ended up sticking mainly with KDE and IceWM, and occasionally Fluxbox, on my PCLOS/Debian-Sid installs, and IceWM/Fluxbox on my Puppy HDD install.

When I set up a Puppy I immediately load a dotpup of IceWM and Fluxbox that I have saved to one side as I simply don't care for JWM, even if it is lite-weight and gets the job done. I need something that looks good, can be changed (and frequently) in the meantime, and is easy to use.

Well, that's my 2 pieces of wampum anyway.

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

LOF

#79 Post by LOF »

Hi all

We seem to be slowing down a bit from the original momentum so I thought I'd suggest something.

I can't really help out with the technical/programming/testing side of things (stuck on Window$ currently) but would really like to help with something else. Thus I'm offering to help out with the artwork side of things. I've already made the prototype logo (which we seem to have adopted) and would be open to any suggestions for other artwork, backgrounds, icons, themes, etc...

So if that's OK with our team leaders, I'm happy to contribute and semi-organise the artwork side of things.
Cheers,

[b]LOF[/b]
:D

cb88

#80 Post by cb88 »

I just added cvoicecontrol to the wiki page it is only 120kb and adds speech recognition (sort of ) to puppy just say a command an it runs it does require trianing though
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30