seamonkey hangs after steaming video

Booting, installing, newbie
brkndad

seamonkey hangs after steaming video

#1 Post by brkndad »

New Guy here

Love this so far. I want to build a hobby machine (minimalist) just for Puppy. Any good hardware links or ideas would be helpful.

For some reason, My pc freezes after watching a streaming video on the net. I am running puppy 2.17

Compaq presario (wal-mart cheepo)
Celeron D 351
512 MB pc2-3200 DDR2 sdram
ATI radeon express 200 onboard grafics
ATI onboard sound
cd-rw
80 GB seagate HD with XP preloaded (I created a 512MB ext2 for PUPPY)

I also am having trouble rendering web pages properly (a lot of the text overlaps and I have to refresh the page a lot.)

Thanks and good day

gray

Steaming Video

#2 Post by gray »

Im not suprised - it probably overheated :oops: . Stop watching THOSE types of videos :twisted:

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

Welcome!

I suppose the best thing to do is post the URL of a site where this happens so others can investigate, duplicate the problem and offer feedback.

DavidMaas

#4 Post by DavidMaas »

Install Opera Browser + Flash 7

Read this post about installing OPERA and FLASH 7
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 76&t=18570

(You can install the newest opera just by going to OPERA.COM >> DOWNLOAD >> Select: OTHER/STATIC DEB >> DOWNLOAD AS TAG.GZ
Then extract it to ie. usr/share/ and run opera. You then just need to put the flash7 libflashplayer.so and flashplayer.xpt into /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.0.8/plugins/)

Opera will not hang

brkndad

#5 Post by brkndad »

Bruce B wrote:Welcome!

I suppose the best thing to do is post the URL of a site where this happens so others can investigate, duplicate the problem and offer feedback.

Hey Bruce

It happens on any site I go to. I tend to get my news clips and learning videos from the web. Perhaps I should install a full firefox browser. Never had a problem with it. But I was trying to keep my Puppy on the light side.

Thanks for the feedback
brkndad

brkndad

Re: Steaming Video

#6 Post by brkndad »

gray wrote:Im not suprised - it probably overheated :oops: . Stop watching THOSE types of videos :twisted:

Hey Gray

Don't watch "those" types of videos. Got more than I can handle right here at home :)

brkndad

#7 Post by brkndad »

DavidMaas wrote:Install Opera Browser + Flash 7

Read this post about installing OPERA and FLASH 7
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 76&t=18570

(You can install the newest opera just by going to OPERA.COM >> DOWNLOAD >> Select: OTHER/STATIC DEB >> DOWNLOAD AS TAG.GZ
Then extract it to ie. usr/share/ and run opera. You then just need to put the flash7 libflashplayer.so and flashplayer.xpt into /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.0.8/plugins/)

Opera will not hang
Thanks David

I will check it out.....but I thought Opera was not open source? I'll let you know

Bruce B

#8 Post by Bruce B »

Sorry for not replying sooner.

1) I don't have any specific problems viewing streaming video

2) More importantly, I don't know that streaming video is 'flash' format per se, and tend to think not so.

3) I've installed extra codecs, which I think is why I don't have problems to report, and may be not able to find a URL that it troublesome.

Also Opera is not open source, nevertheless it's trusted by most Linux users, at least by me.