2.17 puppy not booting if in "higher" partition ?

Please post any bugs you have found
Whelp

2.17 puppy not booting if in "higher" partition ?

#1 Post by Whelp »

Greetings all,

first of all thanks to everybody who helps making Puppy Linux and all its derivatives and additional packages such a good piece of OS and software. Great work and fun to use !

Having played around with Puppy 2.16 and 2.17.1 recently, I noticed some weird booting behavior of my frugal installation. In the forum I read about several reasons, but none that explained what happened on my PC, so I post my experience to see if anybody can confirm / explain this.

This is what happens:
(Puppy files always in / of partition, not in a directory)
Step 1: 2.16 installed on separate partition (hda12, since it shares the drive with Win and openSuse) boots fine via Grub.
Step 2: I insert CD with 2.17.1, booting from CD just fine, update to 2.17.1 performed.
Step 3: Booting 2.17.1 from HD fails.
Step 4: I copy the Puppy files to a lower partition (e.g. hda7) and change the menu.lst entry to reflect this: Puppy 2.17.1 boots.

(Step 5: Trying to copy and boot from hdb6 after copying the files and changing menu.lst fails.)

I noticed that during boot Puppy writes what partitions it searches files in - 2.17.1 seems to stop at hda8 (or was it 9 ?) while 2.16 found hda12 just fine.

Explanation I can think of:
1. Puppy requires its files to be on the primary HD.
2. Puppy 2.17.1 checks only the first few partitions on this drive and gives up too early. ;-)

Is there any mention of partition / drive limits that I have missed ?

Happy puppying

Whelp
;-)

eugeniak1

#2 Post by eugeniak1 »

Hi, I have the same problem. My Puppy 2.17.1 is on sda10, cose I have winxp, suse and ubuntu. Puppy boots fine from cd, but frugal... it attemps abd tells "kernel panic"! Does it need alower partition for living?
happy pupping
eugeniak1

eugeniak1

#3 Post by eugeniak1 »

Hi, I can`t instal Puppy in > 6, I become this "error" like you. recently I have tried with 3.0 - everything is folded, but only with 3.0 - former versionen cannot be installed. however, ma Puppy can see all partitions . I have except Puppy still windows, suse and kubuntu. may be lies problem here ... by