FaunOS

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
darrelljon

FaunOS

#1 Post by darrelljon »

SirDuncan

#2 Post by SirDuncan »

Sounds like someone has been trying to clone Puppy.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath
Trobin

#3 Post by Trobin »

So why is it that whenever someone else comes up with a distro, somebody here seems to think they are cloning Puppy?
SirDuncan

#4 Post by SirDuncan »

If you had read their page you would think it sound like Puppy, too.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath
BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

The iso file is 870MB.
Eyes-Only

#6 Post by Eyes-Only »

SirDuncan wrote:
"If you had read their page you would think it sound like Puppy, too."
I highly agree with your statement---right down to the "...you can even save the session back to DVD-R,RW..." and I had to highly disagree with their statement, "As far as we know we're the only distro known to do this." Of course, to their credit they DID say, "As far as we know..."

No doubt though it does sound like a good and admirable project. I don't disagree with that! And anything that opens a person's eyes to Linux is a plus in my book. But as for me? Why download something that's nearly 900megs when Puppy at under 100megs (that smarts and makes me flinch a little!) does just about the same?

But as we say in French: "Chacun a son gout!" (To each his own!) ;) After all, I don't use just Puppy either...

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*
KF6SNJ

#7 Post by KF6SNJ »

Looking over the website, it looks to me like they tried to marry puppy to pclinuxos on the same hard drive. I agree, I'd rather download something that is generally less than 100Mb than something that is over 800Mb. Once that ISO is burnt to the disc, that doesn't really leave a lot of space left to save personal files and settings, especially if you are a power user. Thanks, but no thanks. I will stay with puppy. Simplicity is best.
Q

#8 Post by Q »

SirDuncan wrote:Sounds like someone has been trying to clone Puppy.
here is another one the looks mighty familiar :twisted:

http://tinyme.mypclinuxos.com/forums/in ... pic=1210.0

yes I know its totaly based on another distro but that network setup at boot script looks like a hack from Barry's modem setup @ boot.....or i might be wrong and its totally diffrent.
hey,Graphburn is getting around a lot lately :roll:

why do i get the feeling that am using M$ when i tested that tinyme...EEEEKKKKK.
if linux developers keeps on doing what they are doing now like someone posted here making linux fancy and everything gui linux will end up being like windowz :?

another thing i would like to ask......I might be a little paranoid from using M$ for more than 25 years but to me using a linux distro is all about trust.
I trust BarryK ,but what about all them remasters and other distros that pops up by the dozen everyday? can the developer stick tools in them to collect data like passwords and CC numbers and other personal stuff?

you can try and try all them fancy distros but they all will be back to puppy. :D

You da man Barry .
Pizzasgood

#9 Post by Pizzasgood »

hey,Graphburn is getting around a lot lately
For good reason, based on what little I've used of it. It's small, clean, and simple. Most CD burner programs I've used (with any OS) have a huge screen hog window, are slow, and make you dig to find the features you want.
another thing i would like to ask......I might be a little paranoid from using M$ for more than 25 years but to me using a linux distro is all about trust.
I trust BarryK ,but what about all them remasters and other distros that pops up by the dozen everyday? can the developer stick tools in them to collect data like passwords and CC numbers and other personal stuff?
Of course they can. If they know what they're doing, anyways. Most people who make remasters probably wouldn't have the know-how to code that kind of stuff themselves though, so they'd have to find Linux software already made for the purpose, and hope they can get it working with Puppy. I'd fall into that category myself, though it wouldn't take long to learn my way out of it (of course, I could be exaggerating my ignorance in hopes that you won't perceive me as a threat and realize that I've already had your system in my zombie net since last Thursday...)

Theoretically, such things could already be in Puppy without Barry's knowledge, since there are several "third party" apps included and I doubt he's had time to analyze all of their sources.

But I'd bet money that they're all clean (the remasters too). At last so far. 'Course, maybe that money I'm betting used to be your's back on Wednesday....
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]
Q

#10 Post by Q »

Pizzasgood wrote:
.........I'd fall into that category myself , though it wouldn't take long to learn my way out of it (of course, I could be exaggerating my ignorance in hopes that you won't perceive me as a threat and realize that I've already had your system in my zombie net since last Thursday...)...........

Theoretically, such things could already be in Puppy without Barry's knowledge, since there are several "third party" apps included and I doubt he's had time to analyze all of their sources.

But I'd bet money that they're all clean (the remasters too). At last so far. 'Course, maybe that money I'm betting used to be your's back on Wednesday....
LOL, I said I might be a little paranoid not a fool ...........wouldn't worry bout you but rarsa is another story....besides a little tip for nuts like me............use some else's puter to go online.... or put Pizzasgood's mac address & ip when going Warwalking ....hey Pizzasgood whats with that bottle of cheap liquor doing on your window and for for goodness sake man put on some cloth ...peeps on the other side of the campus posting your pix on youtube..... lol

muggins

#11 Post by muggins »

whenever i use firefox, something is accessing the net without my doing any surfing, but i haven't ascertained what. if i use the browser that came with pup2.16, seamonkey, no suspicious activity occurs.
Trobin

#12 Post by Trobin »

SirDuncan wrote:If you had read their page you would think it sound like Puppy, too.
I have read their page, and still don't see the furor over "cloning puppy" that seems to pop whenever some one else puts together a mini-distro. After all, even in the Linux world, how many different ways are there to skin a cat?
Pizzasgood

#13 Post by Pizzasgood »

Arggg, now listen here you yeller bellied land lubber! This pirate only drinks the worlds finest rum*, and he don't worry 'bout no peeping Toms nor Tinas neither. If'n a feller happens ta see me glory, th' sheer awe t'would burn 'is mind straight outta his poor skull.

Now get back ta yer oars b'fore I toss ya overboard! Yarggh!

(*Actually, the only beverages I drink are milk, water, and occasionally apple juice. And milkshakes, of course :) No caffeine, alcohol, or cool-aid addictions for me, thank you very much!)
Last edited by Pizzasgood on Thu 20 Sep 2007, 03:38, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
cthisbear

#14 Post by cthisbear »

I would like to try it but ...here's my secret dread....
Will I be guilty of Faunication?

Chris
SirDuncan

#15 Post by SirDuncan »

"Furor"? I just said it looked like a Puppy clone. I didn't day that was a bad thing.

Honestly though, you could just change a few words and the logo and turn it into a Puppy website instead of a Faun one.
Trobin

#16 Post by Trobin »

Not just you. Faunos appears to be the second, or third, distro that's been put together, and someone here has said something about cloning, copying, or recreating Puppy.
Everitt

#17 Post by Everitt »

I wouldn't say that they were 'clones' or 'copies'. Just different people trying to do the same thing. Personally I think that's great. Three or four people working seperately on the same question will probably find at least two different solutions. Then everyone can take pointers from how others do things.

Barry's work is simply fantastic, but perhaps somebody else might spot something he's missed, or chance upon a better way to do something. This isn't a compertition or anything, we can share!
Pizzasgood

#18 Post by Pizzasgood »

Yup. If I told you only a brief overview of what I'm planning under the codename "CheesyRamHog Linux", that would probably sound a lot like Puppy. But in reality, it's like the difference between a car and a motorcycle. They share half the philosophy and similar mechanics, but have different target audiences, uses, appearances, and feels.

Aside from which, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, eh? When people start modeling themselves after you, either you're doing something right, or you need to high-tail it outta there before the cult you inspired "helps" you to ascend to godhood by eating the prison called your body....
Q

#19 Post by Q »

Pizzasgood wrote:Yup. If I told you only a brief overview of what I'm planning under the codename "CheesyRamHog Linux", that would probably sound a lot like Puppy. But in reality, it's like the difference between a car and a motorcycle. They share half the philosophy and similar mechanics, but have different target audiences, uses, appearances, and feels.

Aside from which, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, eh? When people start modeling themselves after you, either you're doing something right, or you need to high-tail it outta there before the cult you inspired "helps" you to ascend to godhood by eating the prison called your body....
and he is a philosopher too .Image...and they say geeks don't have a good sense of humor....

U R 1 cool dude ....keep up the good work
kdulcimer

#20 Post by kdulcimer »

Q wrote: here is another one the looks mighty familiar :twisted:

http://tinyme.mypclinuxos.com/forums/in ... pic=1210.0
Familiar? Well, yes, sort of! I'm a huge fan of PCLinuxOS. I'm also a long-time big fan of Puppy Linux. That's why I created TinyMe. There are some things about Puppy Linux I really wish were in PCLinuxOS, like small size and speed (just to name two things). I'm far from competing with Puppy in either of those regards, but I hope I'm providing an experience to PCLinuxOS users which is a little Puppy-esque. We still have a long way to go, though.

If by "familiar", you mean we look a lot like Grafpup, I'll let you know that was not intentional. TinyMe and Grafpup use the same panel and window manager. However, we each came to our conclusions independently about which panel and WM to use.
yes I know its totaly based on another distro but that network setup at boot script looks like a hack from Barry's modem setup @ boot.....or i might be wrong and its totally diffrent.
My advice? Boot up PCLinuxOS. Look similar to TinyMe? It is. Boot up Mandriva One 2007. Look similar? It is.

For the most part, Puppy tools don't work well on PCLinuxOS or derivatives. That's because Puppy uses its own filesystem. That boot-up sequence is from Mandriva.
hey,Graphburn is getting around a lot lately :roll:
I love Grafburn! Grafburn is the best small cd burner! :) I packaged it up and now you can install it in PCLinuxOS via Synaptic.
why do i get the feeling that am using M$ when i tested that tinyme...EEEEKKKKK.
Ouch! We don't intend to look or feel like MS. And I don't think we do. However, I'm always open to improvements in TinyMe. Do you think you could specify how you believe we look/feel like Wonders?
if linux developers keeps on doing what they are doing now like someone posted here making linux fancy and everything gui linux will end up being like windowz :?
I just had a guy today post on the MyPCLinuxOS forums that he was interested in making a CL-only remaster of PCLinuxOS. If he proceeds, he has the TinyMe forums at his disposal.
Well, I suppose I could. In fact, I suppose I could make Linux Genuine Advantage avaliable via the TinyMe repo. :D I wouldn't put it on the CD by default, though.

On a serious note, it is possible, especially in a distro which contains closed-source stuff -which is the majority of distros- to put something bad in the file system. However, let's hope any such effort would be outed very quickly.
you can try and try all them fancy distros but they all will be back to puppy. :D

You da man Barry .
Barry is da man.

Getting back on topic, I always wonder why people produce distributions which are between 700MB and 1GB. It's just too big to fit on a CD, almost not big enough to bother with using a DVD...