Lm-sensors - anyone actually using or got it to work? SOLVED

Using applications, configuring, problems
craftybytes

Lm-sensors - anyone actually using or got it to work? SOLVED

#1 Post by craftybytes »

Hi,

Just wondering if any Puppy users have actually got the 'lm-sensors' package to work successfully in Puppy..?

If so - how, please..?

Would like to see if I can configure it's output results into "conky" - so I can monitor my motherboard temps, etc...!!

TIA...

crafty.
Last edited by craftybytes on Tue 18 Sep 2007, 09:21, edited 1 time in total.
3 x boot:- ASROCK VIA 'all-in-one' m/b; AMD Duron 1.8Ghz+; 1.0GB RAM; 20GB hdd (WinXP Pro); 80GB hdd (MEPIS 3.4-3/Puppy v2.15CE Frugal); 1GB USB pendrive (Puppy 2.15CE Frugal); CD/DVDRW; 17" LCD monitor; HSF 56k modem... MEPIS is great.. Puppy ROCKS..

craftybytes

#2 Post by craftybytes »

OK - went ahead and did it all myself..!!

So I now have 'lm-sensors' installed and set up for my motherboard - and also have edited the -'/root/.conkyrc' - config file to now report the system temperatures & fan speeds - as well as the more generic things most people want..

As I only successfully completed this install & setup - this morning (Sunday 16 Sept. 2007) - I now plan to prepare an '.pet' (or '.pup' - whichever easiest) package and an "How-to" write-up AND then post both to the Puppy forums - this hopefully will be completed within the next 3-4 days..!!

If anybody is looking for such - please wait till I finish and post..

HTH..

crafty.
3 x boot:- ASROCK VIA 'all-in-one' m/b; AMD Duron 1.8Ghz+; 1.0GB RAM; 20GB hdd (WinXP Pro); 80GB hdd (MEPIS 3.4-3/Puppy v2.15CE Frugal); 1GB USB pendrive (Puppy 2.15CE Frugal); CD/DVDRW; 17" LCD monitor; HSF 56k modem... MEPIS is great.. Puppy ROCKS..

SimonW

#3 Post by SimonW »

Hope it's not bad form to link to the Grafpup forum which is now at another place.... my thread describes how I got lm-sensors working on Grafpup. Probably very similar to what you've been through!

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 0&t=561817

There I offer .pet packages too but have not had any reports of success or failure with them.

Cheers,
Simon.

craftybytes

#4 Post by craftybytes »

Hi SimonW,

Yep - did see your posts when I was doing web searches for info on 'lm-sensors' - and even used your .pet packages initially - but for some reason I had trouble getting your .pet 'lm-sensors' to work..!!

So decided to "do it" myself - used debian packages for 'lm-sensors v2.10.4' - and installed from them (so already compiled, etc..) - and also installed all required dependencies..!!

Note - I am running Puppy v2.15CE - with the 2.6.18.1 kernel..

Now the installed 'lm-sensors' works fine - but for my particular M/B which uses the Winbond w83697hf chip had to tweak the voltage computation formulas in the '/etc/sensors.conf' file to get them to report more sensible figures in the 'sensors' command output report in rxvt terminal screen..

Also now have tweaked the 'conky.conf' file to show my M/B's temperatures & fan speeds as I like..!!

Anyway - have now made the PET for it - (lm_sensors-2.10.4.pet) - and am currently preparing the "How-to" for it all - so I can then post them in the next day or so..

Thanks for your interest in this..

Cheers.

crafty.

SimonW

#5 Post by SimonW »

Hi crafty,

Good to have some feedback anyway. I compiled it on the EPIA M10000 so perhaps there was some CPU optimization in the binary after all.

Ah, just spotted you were using 2.6.18.1 kernel. Grafpup 2.00, which I am using, has 2.6.20... that might be it.

Glad it's all working now. Tweaking the sensors.conf seems to be par for the course :-)

Simon.

craftybytes

#6 Post by craftybytes »

Yep - the 2.6.18.1 kernel - haven't yet got around to getting the latest v3.00 Puppy Unleashed CD from BarryK - as I'm on 56k dialup, I usually order an "Unleashed CD" from Barry for each new version that I'm interested in..

Anyway - have now prepared a '.pet' for the "lm-sensors" - just have to work out where to upload it - size is around 4.2MB - so might be a bit big for posting to the forum..

Thanks for your response though..

Cheers.

crafty.