Odd CPU/System configuration

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
KF6SNJ

Odd CPU/System configuration

#1 Post by KF6SNJ »

I tend to collect scrap computer components. No surprise I suppose. Any rate, here is what I am thinking once I finish the "RoboPup" (man its hard to cut sheet aluminum with wire cutters) project. I happen to have two TI-99/4A computer systems. One of them actually works, the other doesn't. I am just wondering how cool it would be if I could somehow modify the broken one into fully functional modern PC inside an other "antique" case (I grew up using one of these systems (probably the one that is broken), so I must carefully guard my words). I suppose the only sticking points that I see thus far:

1) I may loose some keyboard functions (doubt I can fit a modern keyboard in place of the existing unit, or I may need to find a way to attach an external keyboard).

2) I may need to cut a small portion of the back of the case to accomodate a modern computer board and I/O ports (what is the smallest/cheapest available motherboard? Built-in Ethernet?).

3) Where on earth would I be able to fit the hard drive? (Internal USB stick?)

4) Same issue, but with CD/DVD drive/burner (cut the side by the video modulator port, using a single CD/DVD R+W?).

5) Would it be possible/practical to somehow adapt the TI power supply for use with a modern mother board?

Of course I'd have to set this up to run Puppy, but I am certain that there may be a barrage of other practicallity issues that will come up before I even begin to tackle this idea. Still, if it can be done, I think it could be an interesting set up. Especially since it could effectively reduce the amount of equipment I have around my desk. Of course I am still thinking about that Zonbu, but still, its fun to think of other ideas that could possibly look cool..... 8)
darkerror05

#2 Post by darkerror05 »

You you pleas give some pictures of the devices? That would be cool. Also I doubt that trying to use the old PSU is worth it... If you know you cant get a new PSU to fit in the case then use an external one(some mini/micro itx boards support this). Also a micro itx mobo is probebly your best bet for a nice, small, full featured mobo at a reasonable price.
-darkerror
KF6SNJ

#3 Post by KF6SNJ »

I was just looking at my old laptop, a winbook xp, which is only about a 100Mhz processor with about 32Mb of ram, but it may be able to run puppy. However I would need to find a new hard drive for it and then temporarily swap out the drive from one of my other two laptops to program it, as the winbook does not have nor does it support a CD drive. Still, both its motherboard and keyboard should be small enough that it may fit in the case. Still, I won't begin to test this until after the robot project is finished and that could take a few months as classes begin again on monday.
The only windows I have are those on my home.
Sage

#4 Post by Sage »

All this sort of thing has been done many times - search the web.
Some of the most innovative structures have used ITX boards - see, for eg., http://mini-itx.com/projects.asp , list down r.h.s. I like the one built into a model airoplane. The beauty of the ITX units is that you can resurrect small PSU ~45W & up, even AT units with addition of an external 3V regulator circuit.
To some extent it also depends on your metal-bashing skills, experience and workshop facilities. Remember: use the correct tool for the job (possible exception is the screwdriver, and, of course, hammer!). Some tools aren't easily accessible for home projects, like a sheet metal nibbler and ditto guillotine/bender, so you will need friends in industry for occasional 'homers'.
It will also help to have friends working in chem labs for infrequent access to 'banned' solvents, like the ketones, chlorocarbons, etc. which can dissolve/reshape plastics, make up special paints, clean ditto, etc.
Sage

#5 Post by Sage »

Expected loadsa responses from this thread????
Got plenty of scrap k/b's here for any GB project builders, including a nice new Toshiba laptop unit, still boxed.
KF6SNJ

#6 Post by KF6SNJ »

I honestly didn't expect any responses. Also, I'm not too concerned with metal when it comes to converting my TI 99/4A into a "modern" computer with an "antique" case. The reason for this is quite simple, unlike its in house rival the 99/4 (which did have an aluminum case), the 99/4A is housed in plastic. Most basic woodworking tools will suffice (though I would sooner use a hack saw to cut the plastic versus using a rip saw). As for the robot, I should just go and buy a decent pair of tin snips and be done with it.
Sage

#7 Post by Sage »

Thought the BBC B project would have appealed?!
KF6SNJ

#8 Post by KF6SNJ »

If I wasn't building a clone of the K-9 robot from Doctor Who, I'd be build a 3/4 scale (yes, when transformed, it would 3/4 the size of an actual VW bug) replica of Bumble Bee from the original Transformers animated series. However, that would be more involved project which I may attempt at a point some years into the future, and it too would be installed with Puppy.
Pizzasgood

#9 Post by Pizzasgood »

....a car that's a robot that's an alien that's a bumblebee that's a penguin that's a puppy. :shock:

Sweetness!!!! :D
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]
KF6SNJ

#10 Post by KF6SNJ »

Pizzasgood wrote:....a car that's a robot that's an alien that's a bumblebee that's a penguin that's a puppy. :shock:

Sweetness!!!! :D
It wouldn't be that hard to start drafting the blueprints and circuitry. I have a couple of books on robotics next to my desk at the moment. My biggest issue is with the CPU for any robotics project. I am having an awful time trying to find a circuit to provide continuous +12, -12, -5, +5 VDC from a 12VDC motor cycle battery without frying the motherboard. I may have to look into PIC or BasicStamp controllers.

Edit:

Maybe I can work on the K-9000 project and the modified TI-99/4A at the same time. It is obvious that the robot will take longer and maybe I will consider just using the laptop in the robot, which would solve my power dilemma. The ITX boards do look pretty sweet. I may just consider that route instead. Thanks Sage.
Sage

#11 Post by Sage »

One of those ITX boards runs off a single voltage rail.

PS. I think some of the new generation of picoITX, nanoITX and other C7s also have this feature? [But the older C3's are becoming more affordable.]
KF6SNJ

#12 Post by KF6SNJ »

Ok, let me ask for a quick opinion with this project. I am looking into maybe, if for the sake of saving space, using an ide flash drive. Any thoughts on the idea?
Sage

#13 Post by Sage »

Are you aware that Robot Wars is a well-established branch of the technology on both our continents? The HW has become very sophisticated. Much of the development has been conducted by academics (although father-son teams working in garden sheds also feature heavily). My guess would be that some funding has been obtained from the military? Your country has already tested aggressive drones on the battlefield and has robotic tanks under assessment. All the answer to questions you have yet to ask are likely to be available on the Web?
Incidentally, I first raised the imminent viability of electric, robotic tanks thirty years ago, but at that time there were no generals with any knowledge of the march of this technology. However, mine was not an original suggestion by a long chalk - cf. HG Wells, for example.
KF6SNJ

#14 Post by KF6SNJ »

HG Wells is a good author. So again was Jules Verne and Conan Doyle.
Sage

#15 Post by Sage »

Wells attend my college.....
KF6SNJ

#16 Post by KF6SNJ »

I'm going to test the TI-99/4A computers today to see which one actually works. That one I will save. The one that fails to work will become my micro-mod puppy pc. I don't yet know which version of puppy I will run on it. However, I think this will be pretty cool once it is done.
KF6SNJ

#17 Post by KF6SNJ »

it was suggested at another forum I frequent to adapt the TI-99/4A keyboard for use with the ITX board. The individual making the suggestion even provided the link which I share here. Special thanks to RadMan of Theologia Crucis for this link:

http://www.technick.net/public/code/cp_ ... y_ti_99_4a
Sage

#18 Post by Sage »

That's why I sent you those ITX links. It's all been done before. But great fun and a metal-bashers' delight.
swarm32

#19 Post by swarm32 »

Could I perchance suggest a Kontron Jrex board. It seems to meet the apparent no space available problem. Just an idea. :)