Modprobe?

Please post any bugs you have found
Paul-B

Modprobe?

#1 Post by Paul-B »

Hi again guys & girls.

I just finished installing everything onto my new Puppy machine, and seem to have hit a snag.

After many hours of swearing at my laptop a few months back, I got Conky working perfectly.

I insalled it on here for CPU thermal monitoring, added lines to the conky.conf file where needed...then wondered why it wasn't working.

I remembered I had to modprobe for thermal, so I load up rxvt and type "modprobe thermal", to which I got...

Code: Select all

# modprobe thermal
WARNING: Error inserting processor (/lib/modules/2.6.21.5/kernel/drivers/acpi/processor.ko): No such device
FATAL: Error inserting thermal (/lib/modules/2.6.21.5/kernel/drivers/acpi/thermal.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
# 
What's going on? I'm using Puppy 2.17.1, didn't seem to have this problem in 2.17...

Paul-B
[color=red]Puppy Rig:[/color] 2ghz Pentium 4 Skt423 CPU - Intel D850GB Motherboard - 1gb (4x256MB) Samsung PC800 RAM - WinFast GeForce 4 Ti4600 128MB GPU - Creative SB Live! Soundcard - Samsung 730MW 17" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 350w Antec SmartPower PSU
HairyWill

#2 Post by HairyWill »

it says look at dmesg
what do you get at the console for
dmesg
also
ls -l /proc/acpi
Paul-B

#3 Post by Paul-B »

I've had a look at the dmesg, all looks like garble to me mind... The last line says "thermal: Unknown symbol acpi_processor_set_thermal_limit".

However, doing a ls on /proc/acpi was interesting...it doesn't exist. :shock:

Paul-B
[color=red]Puppy Rig:[/color] 2ghz Pentium 4 Skt423 CPU - Intel D850GB Motherboard - 1gb (4x256MB) Samsung PC800 RAM - WinFast GeForce 4 Ti4600 128MB GPU - Creative SB Live! Soundcard - Samsung 730MW 17" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 350w Antec SmartPower PSU
HairyWill

#4 Post by HairyWill »

Paul-B wrote:However, doing a ls on /proc/acpi was interesting...it doesn't exist.
looks like you are not using acpi
using the kernel boot parameter
acpi=on
or
acpi=force
may help if you hardware supports it

Am I right in thinking that you managed to temperature readings using 2.17 on the same hardware but using 2.17.1 you can't?
Paul-B

#5 Post by Paul-B »

How do I add the boot parameter? I'm using a full HD install.

I got the thermal readings to work with my Dell C400 laptop using 2.17, the machine I'm having problems with is my new desktop running 2.17.1.

--UPDATE--

Well, I've got ACPI working by adding acpi=force to the grub boot thingie (woo, look at me and my techie speak!), modprobe for thermal, processor and fan work fine, but Conky still isn't displaying temperatures. :(

Paul-B
HairyWill

#6 Post by HairyWill »

Have a poke around in /proc/acpi/ temperature stuff is normally in thermal_zone/THM0/temperature it is a plain text file.

If this doesn't exist then my guess (with not much experience) is that your hardware doesn't support temperature monitoring or that the kernel doesn't recognise your particular hardware.

My old desktop will allow me to modprobe thermal but doesn't actually report any temperatures.

If you do have /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM0/temperature with a temperature in it then the problem lies with your conkyrc file. You might want to edit the subject line of your first post to attract the right sort of people.

<edit>updated after PGs comments below to show correct file for temperature</edit>
Last edited by HairyWill on Tue 02 Oct 2007, 08:22, edited 1 time in total.
Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

For me, this gives me my temp:
cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature
Using state just gives "ok". Yours might differ. Just check which files are there, and check them all. You might find other interesting things too (checking your processor load, batteries, and fan speeds are very similar processes)

I don't know if going to /proc with Rox still causes issues in 2.17.1 (I'm still running Pizzapup 3.0.1, based on 2.14), so you might want to be careful about that. The safe way is to run rox /proc/acpi to bypass /proc. I tend to not even do that, and just use ls and cat, especially since they're such short files.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]
HairyWill

#8 Post by HairyWill »

thanks PG you are correct I've fixed my post