#1 Post by Nevermore »

Hi
i tried to upgrade my puppy 2.14 with this new release
unfortunately the xorg probe doesn't work, it hangs, like in 2.14
and xvesa doesn't even start
on 2.14 i was able to make it work simply by doing ctrl-c at xorg probing
then xorgconfig
and filling the details on my card that works only with 800x600
on this one if i do that, when i send xwin, it goes again to the probing window..
how can i prevent it to go to probe again?
I want to configure manually my xorg.conf that is the only way to make it work..
--
/sbin/Nevermore
bookman761

Need details on your modifications to xorg file

#2 Post by bookman761 »

Can you please give details for your xorg file to make it work?

Thanks
FG
cherriepuppy

#3 Post by cherriepuppy »

Nevermore

#4 Post by Nevermore »

unfortunately not..
i tried to comment out the part
and now i don't get back to the xorg-vesa choosing window.
however xorg doesn't start, i get only a crumpled screen and everything hangs..
--
/sbin/Nevermore
Nevermore

#5 Post by Nevermore »

i am trying to get the 3.01 retro version
might be some kernel related issues.
anyway its a pity, everything worked so well, why i can't get a working X!
--
/sbin/Nevermore
ICPUG

#6 Post by ICPUG »

Please forgive me for entering your thread when I do not have a Toshiba and know nothing about the problem.

It seems from this and other threads that the Toshiba is a problem with Puppy. Cherriepuppy seems to be the only person who has got the combo to work. In the thread he brought the problem up originally there appears to be something missing that nobody has brought up (except perhaps bookman761 above).

If I understand the other thread then cherriepuppy used xorgconfig to manually alter the X-org configuration file. He then commented out some lines in the xwin script to stop Puppy ignoring all his changes!

Everybody else who has followed this route seems to simply modify the xwin file and then report that there is still a problem. Not surprising since the xorg config file has not been changed.

It seems to me the key question to cherriepuppy is:

What changes did you make to the X-org config file? Spell them out for newbies.

With that knowledge other Toshiba users can try the same changes as well as modifying the xwin file.

Once again, sorry if I am just being stupid in this query in an area I know nothing about. I am hoping I am not stupid and can help to push this serious issue towards an answer.

ICPUG
Nevermore

#7 Post by Nevermore »

hi everyone
after a whole morning of trials i was finally able to make puppy work on my toshiba
NO UPDATE POSSIBLE, ONLY CLEAN INSTALL pupsave version won't work no matter how hard i tried, i don't know why.
what i did was this:
boot up normal 3.0 cd
choose xorg at the xorgwizard
it hangs, ctrl-c and get to bash
edit xwin and remove the whole autoprobe part till the next section!

have to comment out till the last fi after HAVEX= blabla.

xorgconfig
vesa doesn't work, don't bother with that, before i always used vesa because this pc has a trident, and the trident mode gives me a slightly crunched screen at the bottom. unfortunately u have to cope with that if u want it to work.

choose trident generic or your card chipset.
select only 800x600 modes
save it

start x with xwin
it should start, if it doesn't, do again the xorgconfig and choose another module.

once in x do your config then save your pupsave.

from then , your puppy will work, however my screen has a crunched band on the bottom part, i don't have an idea why is that, and i don't know how to remove it, but seems not to disturb too much.

that's all.
[/list]
--
/sbin/Nevermore
cherriepuppy

#8 Post by cherriepuppy »

hi

ICPUG when you run xorgconfig it runs through a series of questions regarding mouse type,keyboard,country,monitor resolution and graphics chip. after inputting in these details it will then create the xorg.conf for you, in my case the monitor is 800x600, 50hz, 2MB video ram, 16bit colour. neomagic graphics chip. other laptops will be different.

hope this helps

cherriepuppy
ICPUG

#9 Post by ICPUG »

Thanks cherriepuppy.

It seems from yours and Nevermore's experience that the key thing, apart from identifying the correct hardware, is that the resolution must be set to 800x600 and no more.

I hope this helps other Toshiba Users.

ICPUG
SJPUP

#10 Post by SJPUP »

Hi, i have an asus as8300 with a siliconmotion lynxem graphics, and with puppy217, Xorg worked well (although i had to set xorg.conf manually). now in puppy301 the console window is scrambled and unreadable every time i leave X (either Xvesa or Xorg). also in Xorg the cursor is scrambled into 3 cursors. in xorg.0.log i've noticed some problems (silicon motionvesa bios undetected, and also the synaptics mouse is unrecognized). is this a problem with puppy3 or the new xorg7.2 ?
SJPUP

#11 Post by SJPUP »

Update ... weird cursor fixed by setting siliconmotion setting option swcursor "true" in xorg.conf
synaptics mouse fixed by loading evdev module

still have scrambled console window after using X ... any ideas?