How do you upgrade?

Booting, installing, newbie
cruzin

How do you upgrade?

#1 Post by cruzin »

Hi, I introduced a frend to puppy with the 2.14 and they want to upgrade. They have a desktop pc with 2 hard drives in it. the larger c drive has windows xp on it. The smaller 3 gig hdd is what puppy uses. they have 128 meg ram.
They have been running 2.14 since it came out. I loaded it on for them. I encouraged the to go to 2.17 because of cups included. They run from cd and it is not installed to hard drive.
I started up with the new 2.17 in the pc. It had problems durning start up. Got to the line detecting keyboard and mouse which said it was done. and hung there. I did the big 3 and then seen the other screens, I booted again using pfix=ram. Loaded up fine this time in ram. I set up there modem and internet, printer and started the shut down. Saved it to the linux ext drive ( the xp drive is ntfs) restarted the puppy with cd and it hung at the same place. did the big 3 ctrl, alt, del. again started in pfix=ram, this time I formated the porton of the hdd puppy files were on. Same thing on start up. So I tried the old 2.14 version. Booted and ran fne.
My question in...is there a detailed post on forum explaining how to upgrade.
Also would have puppy 2.14 wrote a file to the ntfs windows drive the is giving me the start up problems with 2.17, if so what would that file be and where is it located. any help appreciated.

HaroldHallikainen

Upgrade procedure?

#2 Post by HaroldHallikainen »

I currently have 2.71 installed on the hard drive and now see that 3.00 is available. Before I download it, is there documentation somewhere on how to do the upgrade? Can it be done over the network with a pup install? Or, is there an upgrade option (as opposed to install) on the CD from ISO? I'd like to avoid losing the user data on the drive.

THANKS!

Harold

cruzin

#3 Post by cruzin »

when upgrading do you do somthing like puppy pfix=ram or pfix=clean or is there a file that is stored on the c:\ (windows) drive that needs to be deleted in order to upgrade when all goes wrong?

HaroldHallikainen

#4 Post by HaroldHallikainen »

I haven't tried the upgrade yet, so I don't know. The entire drive is devoted to Puppy Linux (no windoze). It'd be nice if the puppy installer on the desktop could just download and install the upgrade like it does with other puppy packages, but I haven't seen anything about that. I'll go ahead and download, burn a CD, and then see if the installer will do an upgrade instead of overwriting user data.

Any more comments on upgrades?

THANKS!

Harold

ddtd

#5 Post by ddtd »

I'm wondering what is the point of upgrading if all my settings are gone?
I setup firefox as a default browser, email, chat, keyboard layout using program choose-keyboard-layout, and save puppy program (icon on a desktop), internet connection. After upgrade only thing that remaines the same is internet connection settings.
From 2.10 to 3.00, booting from cd-rom, loading pup_save.3fs from hard disk.

rarsa

#6 Post by rarsa »

I really, really recommend:

- Never put your data files on the pup_save file (create an additional 2fs file or save directly to the HDD)
- Instead of upgrading, create a new 2fs version and configure it again. Then copy the configurations from the old 2fs to the new one.
Alternativelly, after upgrading, puppy creates a /root/tmp folder with the old configurations. Make sure that you rename that folder so it is not erased after shut down. you can then start moving back the configuration files to where they belong. Just be careful that the old configuration files are compatible with the newer versions of the system and applications.

Copying files or reconfiguring sounds like a drag but it really takes a few minutes and help you keep your system cleaner.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

cruzin

#7 Post by cruzin »

I upgraded for 2.17.1 to the 3.0.0 and I dont know how it happened but alot of my items came with me. My script files are on the desktop and everything. thanks for the help

ddtd

#8 Post by ddtd »

I tested this for usb upgrade and its working:

2.10 > 2.12
2.10 > 2.17.1
2.17.1 > 3.00

I just do little corrections: 2 icons of drives on desktop, so i remove 1, and adjust browse icon to open firefox