3.00 drops me out of the GUI screen

Booting, installing, newbie
designengineer

3.00 drops me out of the GUI screen

#1 Post by designengineer »

3.00 drops me out of the GUI screen as soon as my cursor shows. I get no message saying xwin failed or anything. I have used every version of Puppy from 2.14, so i am reasonably proficient at getting it to run on my laptop, but with 3.00, as soon as my cursor shows, I get dropped back to the text screen.
I can type "xwin" till doomsday and it happens each time. i tried xorgconfig and re-defined my video settings, but no dice.
I did try booting the same CD on another computer just to make sure the CD was ok, and it worked fine.
Any thoughts?

designengineer

#2 Post by designengineer »

No one has any ideas?

nicatron

#3 Post by nicatron »

I have the exact same problem.
I wonder why :?
Ill check...
[color=blue]
RuneOS Devolepment has started!!!!!!!!!!!
[/color]
[color=cyan]||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||[/color][color=red]||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||[/color] Until RuneOS Alpha 1!

alienjeff

#4 Post by alienjeff »

I suspect the kernel, modules and/or Xorg.

Though I don't experience your "dropping to X" problem, v3.00 is the only version that doesn't support anything higher than 800x600 resolution on this HP Pavilion XE-736 desktop's mobo video.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

When Xorg starts, it logs to /var/log/Xorg.0.log
-- look in this file to see if anything unusual, particularly toward the end.

If you can only do it without X running, use mp console text editor:
# mp /var/log/Xorg.0.log

designengineer

#6 Post by designengineer »

BarryK wrote:When Xorg starts, it logs to /var/log/Xorg.0.log
-- look in this file to see if anything unusual, particularly toward the end.

If you can only do it without X running, use mp console text editor:
# mp /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Nothing at all was in the log when viewed from the commandline. I was not able to view it from within the desktop.

BUT, I tried downloading IceWM under 2.17 and then loading 3.00 and I did get a desktop, but a weird one. All I had was a taskbar and the right mouseclick menus. The desktop itself was totally black. I was not able to make any changes to anything, since almost no program would run. None of the setup programs would run at all. Only a few programs ran (Xgalaga, rxut, GTKsee), most did nothing. If I tried to change the windowsmanager backto JWM, it would not go. Also, the window manager Fvwm95 works, but again, black destop and no program runs.

OK gurus, what now?

alienjeff

#7 Post by alienjeff »

Non-guru advisory: retrograde to 2.17.1
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

designengineer

#8 Post by designengineer »

alienjeff wrote:Non-guru advisory: retrograde to 2.17.1
But that spoils the fun. Using Puppy and bending it to my will is a ball. I will not be defeated! NEVER! Well, maybe some day. But not yet. Someone out there in Puppyville has the answer.
As it is, Puppy has allowed my to take a snail slow laptop and make it usable. THAT is worth pursuing.

cb88

#9 Post by cb88 »

sounds to me like his .xinitrc got messed up that is the script that starts the window manager and rox if jwm wasn't started then it would likely just exit back to the commandline

I mess around the otherday in the .xinitrc to get rid of rox(just commented it out) and that got rid of the background that was provided by rox

what ever it was sounds to em like it is just that his window manager is not starting

to select your window manager you must type it after you type xwin

like this xwin jwm or xwin starticewm

edit I was just rereading your post sounds like you know how to do the above but have you tried the fixmenus command or booting with puppy pfix=ram?
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

Bruce B

#10 Post by Bruce B »

designengineer wrote:
alienjeff wrote:Non-guru advisory: retrograde to 2.17.1
But that spoils the fun. Using Puppy and bending it to my will is a ball. I will not be defeated! NEVER! Well, maybe some day. But not yet. Someone out there in Puppyville has the answer.
As it is, Puppy has allowed my to take a snail slow laptop and make it usable. THAT is worth pursuing.
That's funny! Okay, here's another non-guru advisory:

If you won't go back, keep playing until version 3.01 is released.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#11 Post by BarryK »

3.01 does not have any fixes for video problems. The main "problem" for me is that 3.00 and 3.01 run fine on all my test machines, no video problems at all -- which makes it hard for me to debug any problem that others report.

Sage

#12 Post by Sage »

Oh, yes - it's a real feature. I have seen it. However, things have moved along so fast both with BK's updates and my HW projects that I can't remember whether it was last week or the week before and on which machine. What I can tell you is that it was on a standard desktop, definitely not a laptop. Not seeing it with 3.01beta on any present projects. But that's not necessarily a guide.

muggins

#13 Post by muggins »

it must be the new xorg. with my HP pavilion mx70 monitor, pup3.0 is the first pupversion I've ever had problems with getting the monitor to work. my lazy solution was to just install pup2.16 to the partition, in frugal mode, then straight away install pup3.0, and get pup3.0 to use the pup_save.2fs file, and that worked. (it was actually ttuuxxx's fire hydrant, based on pup3.0).

Bruce B

#14 Post by Bruce B »

muggins wrote:it must be the new xorg. with my HP pavilion mx70 monitor, pup3.0 is the first pupversion I've ever had problems with getting the monitor to work. my lazy solution was to just install pup2.16 to the partition, in frugal mode, then straight away install pup3.0, and get pup3.0 to use the pup_save.2fs file, and that worked. (it was actually ttuuxxx's fire hydrant, based on pup3.0).
Muggins,

I have zero video problems to report with the testing I've done on 3.00.

On the other hand, it seems to me I've read where people who could run X with earlier versions can't with 3.00 - not a lot of posts or data to work with yet.

Is that your opinion also? That X used to work on some computers but now doesn't?

Off the subject: I wonder who was Sage was addressing to in his post?

Bruce

Sage

#15 Post by Sage »

designengineer ! The other parties in the present discussion are well aware of the ongoing battle. Yes, I think you are correct (again) Bruce. I had rarely seen any video issue with old or new kit, Xorg or VESA, discrete cards, onboard video (inc. laptops) until recently.

designengineer

#16 Post by designengineer »

So as it is, there is no fix, right? I can wait until later releases if i need too, so it is no big deal. I was just hoping that since different window managers had partial success, someone would be able to offer a concrete fix.

Just for grins, I tried the "retro" version of 3.00 and it was no different.

muggins

#17 Post by muggins »

as an experiment why not try installing a pup2xx version that works with your graphics, then booting pup3.0 & getting it to load the pup_save.2fs file & see if you can "graft" your graphics over.

designengineer

#18 Post by designengineer »

muggins wrote:as an experiment why not try installing a pup2xx version that works with your graphics, then booting pup3.0 & getting it to load the pup_save.2fs file & see if you can "graft" your graphics over.
That is exactly how I did it. Otherwise I have to use xorgconfig and go through the highly entertaining process of re-configuring xorg since the xorg wizard never works on my laptop. Thanks for the thought though.