Upgraded to 3.00, some files went missing

Booting, installing, newbie
tarambuka

Upgraded to 3.00, some files went missing

#1 Post by tarambuka »

Several monts ago, I found how to install Puppy as second OS on my PC.
Good. Everything I had to do is to modify boot.ini, and menu.lst. I started with 2.14. Everytime as new version was appeared I just overwrote files and modified menu.lst. Now I did the same but unfortunately some "tty", or "tte"
(sorry, but Im tired to restart my machine over and over) is missing. What did I do wrong?

I renamed all files in small letters, because last time this was the reason (Linux is small/capital letters sensitive I was told.)
trapster

#2 Post by trapster »

I had the same issues and then I tried the retro-seamonkey version and it worked like a charm.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog
tarambuka

Puppy Linux

#3 Post by tarambuka »

Now I tried to delete zdrv_217 and pup_217 ana I couldn't. When I rebooted the machine, chkdsk appeared sayng to me that are some errors on my hard drive C: (pointing these two files).
I realise that Puppy Linux is just a toy, it's not a real OS. An apologet of Puppy said to me that the aim of Puppy major developers is to gain some government support and then money will fall like rain. But unfortunately to bring PL to Vietnam or Taiwan, or Philippines in this state in my opinion is not possible. An OS must be friendly to the user. I see the efforts, but as I see in my country (I am Bulgarian and we don't live on the trees, we are just developing software) all of the Linux fans are some capsulated community. If you ask him for some help they are speaking to you in a completely ununderstendable language
giving you to know that you better start to read thick books. I was asking in a Linux forum how do I mount drives under UBUNTU and answer was that they are tired of stupid questions and all I have to do is type somewhere (God only knows where) something.
At the end of this long post I announce that I apologize to apologets. I didn' mean to offence anyone. I Just tried to explain what happens to a regular user who tries to switch to a new OS. Frankly I fell in love in PL at first sight, but difficulties using it can discourage anyone.
It's not about the machine. My machine is strong enough. The beauty, the speed - that is why I fell in love in PL. Nesting the whole OS in the RAM is both looking back and going forward faraway.
Good luck!
raffy

subdirectory

#4 Post by raffy »

Make sure to do backup by placing your save file somewhere and/or renaming it, before you plunge into a new system.

Also, new puppy versions are able to boot from subdirectories, so this should make the first point easier.

Try to reboot with your old Puppy CD and "puppy pfix=ram" typed in console then try fixing your system.

As to your story about "apologets" and "money will fall like rain", please keep in mind that informal discourse (such as what you find in a chat room) have elements of joke in them, or ironic twists, which the observer should be wary of.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Thanks, Raffy. :)

I'm reminded of an old hymn I haven't heard since I was a kid, "Showers Of Blessings." The fragment I remember goes:
  • "..Showers of blessings we need
    Mercy drops 'round us are falling
    But for the showers we plead..."
If anyone deserves blessings showered on him, it's Barry for developing Puppy.

I can't help wondering why tarambuka chose to use Puppy for an OS if he considers it a "toy"? :?

As for Linux forums not being friendly or helpful to beginners, I hope this one changes his mind.
furryfriend

#6 Post by furryfriend »

I'm reminded of an old old old ancient, you get the idea... saying

Only when you have to learn to walk again, do you realise how difficult it is to run.

who say this ?
alienjeff

#7 Post by alienjeff »

Stephen Hawking? No, wait - his machine said that ...
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]
jonyo

Re: Upgraded to 3.00, some files went missing

#8 Post by jonyo »

tarambuka wrote:Several monts ago, I found how to install Puppy as second OS on my PC.
Good. Everything I had to do is to modify boot.ini, and menu.lst. I started with 2.14. Everytime as new version was appeared I just overwrote files and modified menu.lst. Now I did the same but unfortunately some "tty", or "tte"
(sorry, but Im tired to restart my machine over and over) is missing. What did I do wrong?

I renamed all files in small letters, because last time this was the reason (Linux is small/capital letters sensitive I was told.)
may be relevant http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 255#146255
Bruce B

Re: Upgraded to 3.00, some files went missing

#9 Post by Bruce B »

tarambuka wrote:Several monts ago, I found how to install Puppy as second OS on my PC.

{cut}
What did you do wrong? Maybe nothing, maybe its not you at all. I think you hit the version right on the head. The problem which occurs to some users started (I'm pretty sure) after 2.14

If you want to hang around a while and try and resolve it, I'm good for it. From all I've read on this, I think rcrsrn51 may have the best ideas how to boot these Frugal installs that trouble some users' machines.

Maybe he'll show up and give some input. In the meantime, if you would post your menu.lst, this would be a good place to start.
tarambuka

#10 Post by tarambuka »

Gentlemen, guys,
The first ting I want to say is that I apologize to every Puppy Fan for the next things I'll write.
I don't mean to say something disrespectful about this OS. The only thing is - Windows exists almost 20 years. My grandson is feeling quite comfortable with it (I am 54 an he is 5). He is playing games online and he has not any idea what the fuck "kernel" is.
I shall say it once again - I fell in love with Puppy at fist sight. But (always there is a "BUT"). Fast as lightning, but how to put a shortcut on the desktop - please read instructions. Instead making an OS more friendly to the user, now the user is staying on the edge between these two OS. In one hand I've never been so happy seeing my new machine working like a hurricane, recognizing all my hardware (of course I have two sound cards and Puppy recognizes them both and asks me which of them I'll use in the future and assures me that at next starting everything will be all right. It's not (a bug?).
I see the efforts of everyone of Puppy apologets to make things better, but I'm just an user, I don't understand your explonations.
As a User (like my grandson) I understand only - right/left click here, or drag and drop. I do not agree with arguments that is a different OS. It is something like -"I invented a new car (although frankly, Barry Kauler didn't invent Linux) - she is fast, powerful, but is on three wheels and you have to have skills to drive it.
Open Office has the same interface as Windows' Office. The same shortcuts, the same hotkeys.
Why do we try to invent the wheel?
At the last Genlemen, when 512 MB RAM is usual, remember the days when Win95 was less then 100 MB and was working perfectly on 486 processors with 8 MB RAM.
I know the efforts of Microsoft, forcing you to buy more and more expensive machines. As a clever philosopher said - "It doesn't matter what we are talking about - everyting is about money".
tarambuka

hjsfghjhj

#11 Post by tarambuka »

Now my daughter just came to visit me an saw my literature creature and gave me another example for the cars.
I drive a car and I want this car to go as fast and as smooth like previous one, and I want my pedals, and wheeldrive, and handbreaks to be at the same place and I don't care what engine is powering it. I am a driver, not Michael Schumacher. May be he changes the gears just toucing a knob,
but I don't and (unfortunately) she is right. Imagine that you have the fastest car but you have to drive it by joystick! Inertia is a very powerful and common thing.
I apologize again. I don't want to offend anyone. It is just un opinion.
Sorry if my English is bad.
English is not my birthlanguage. I am Bulgarian, and I live in Bulgaria.
Bruce B

#12 Post by Bruce B »

I understand your frustration FIRST HAND. I hope you are still on the forum.

Can you not understand there is a bug that's not your fault? I've followed every one of these tty drops user at the e3 editor, and there are no success reports to my knowledge, except for one maybe, but I can't tell.

The bug doesn't affect most computers, that's why it got released. It does affect my computer. That's why I understand your frustration and make the recommendation I make: Avoid all versions that drop you at that tty error message.