Freezes checking serial communications during bootup

Booting, installing, newbie
geneven

Freezes checking serial communications during bootup

#1 Post by geneven »

On one computer that I tried to load Puppy, it froze during the long line about checking serial communications or whatever. This happened when I use a USB Flash drive, and when I used a CD and Puppy 3.0 or 3.1 it froze at exactly the same point.

It froze even before it got to the numbers 1 or 2 on the line.

If this isn't clear, let me know. The bios is an AMI/Award (they are the same now, aren't they?)

Any theories about what it might be?

Puppy works great on the two laptops I have access to; this is the desktop where I have Mint Linux and now Windows XP installed on.
Q

#2 Post by Q »

by any chance you have lucent modem in that desktop?
geneven

#3 Post by geneven »

I don't think so. It has an integrated modem, which I have never used and which I told the bios to disable.

I have a wireless (usb) keyboard and plug-in logitech mouse, if either of those are relevant.

I don't really need to run Puppy from this computer anyway.
purple_ghost

More Information please.

#4 Post by purple_ghost »

If you have a moment. On the offending desktop, please run one of the utilities which gives a snapshot of the hardware and assignments. I am not sure if there is an easy way to get that info from XP Device Managment. Please post that information here.

Maybe, give a go of using the Puppy Live-CD instead of the USB key. Give it a long time at the point where the hang is. Then please tell us what you see.
GeorgR

#5 Post by GeorgR »

Same was with me.
Seems to be an interrupt problem.

MoBo BIOS Settings: PET disabled, no PnP OS, AMD Cool+Quite disabled
Puppy boot option: acpi=noirq

Now this PC is running without further problems and all components are recognized.

ASUS M2A-VM, AMD 690G, ATI SB600, ATI Radeon X1250, Audio: ALC883, LAN: RTL8168/8111
purple_ghost

Might this be of any interest?

#6 Post by purple_ghost »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22162

In truth I would hypothesize that a hard hang might occur because of a hardware conflict. I would also guess that there are some different things that occur with a flash drive boot as opposed to a Live CD. Which is why I said, if it was not too hard. To try a boot with a Live CD. Possibly that during the boot it tried to assign something relating to the Serial stuff to the same thing as the USB key. Maybe something special needs to be done to get the computer to recognize a wireless keyboard, or another piece of hardware. ??? I frankly admit I do not know. I just meant to suggest things to isolate the problem. Reduce the number of variables. Then someone very knowledgeable could come along and suggest a fix.
John Doe

#7 Post by John Doe »

i see this behavior when i have my belkin usb bluetooth thing plugged in.

i can simply yank it out and puppy continues on with the boot.

obviously one can't do this with a usb drive one is trying to load from. just wanted to mention it.

barry jump in and tell us what to report.
geneven

Delay

#8 Post by geneven »

Unfortunately, I am leaving for Mexico for about ten days, so I can't try the suggestions right now. I would have to re-download Puppy to try it on CD, and that can be time-consuming, though I have already done it quite a few times in the last week or so since I started using Puppy.

I can note that I have had problems with other Distros on this computer. Some say that a controller probably is using the wrong IRQ. Could be! It's a computer I bought a few years ago from Fry's, and it is not totally trustworthy, in my experience.

When I installed Suse 10.3, it came up blank at the end and I never found out why. I didn't have problems with earlier versions of Suse.