Has anybody gotten TORCS working in Puppy?

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
stargazer

#21 Post by stargazer »

edit
Last edited by stargazer on Fri 07 Dec 2007, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.

stargazer

#22 Post by stargazer »

edit
Last edited by stargazer on Fri 07 Dec 2007, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

sketchman

#23 Post by sketchman »

Oh, no, that's not what I meant.

I have control of the car with the arrow keys, but it's impossible for me to really have control of what the car does. The physics are downright weird. I bump a car in the rear and the back of my car quite unpredictably whips to either side. The computer drivers are completely retarded on a dirt course, and on pavement, I look like I'm retarded. Instead of having a gradual shift between the car gripping the asphalt and flying off it, like there should be, the car looks fine through some of a curve then in half a second it's gone. You don't ever start to lose the back end; it violently whips around all at once.

What I thought was that, maybe, with a joystick I could better regulate the controls. I've played lots of driving and racing games. They're really the only kind of game I like. With a keyboard, unless I'm doing something very wrong, TORCS is one of the worst racing sims I've ever played.

I realize I'm complaining about something that is available for free, but here's what I think, as if anyone cared. TORCS stands for "The Open Racing Car Simulator", right? So, I didn't expect wonderful graphics, or beautiful scenery, or even perfect sounds. If TORCS consisted of different colored boxes with wheels, one horizon, and one set of engine noises to give at least a hint of what the motor was doing, it could still be a good RCS. The physics just aren't doing it for me. Again, that is with a keyboard, I'm gonna try it with a joystick.

But, my point is, there is no racing car that behaves the way this RCS portrays it.
"In a world that exists without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

stargazer

#24 Post by stargazer »

edit
Last edited by stargazer on Fri 07 Dec 2007, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.

sketchman

#25 Post by sketchman »

Did you try this thing.

It runs so slow, it's not playable on my machine, and I've got an OK rig.

AMD 64 2.4ghz
2gb DDR400
NVIDIA GF8600GTS 512mb

Am I doing something wrong?

stargazer

#26 Post by stargazer »

edit
Last edited by stargazer on Fri 07 Dec 2007, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

stargazer

#27 Post by stargazer »

edit
Last edited by stargazer on Fri 07 Dec 2007, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.

sketchman

#28 Post by sketchman »

Fixed the problem. My GFX drivers weren't installed right. This game is great.
It's hard to see in the shot, but I'm getting 106.570FPS :shock: . That's with all settings at default and running at 1480x1050. Simply amazing.
Attachments
screenshot001.jpg
(113.39 KiB) Downloaded 836 times

ecomoney

Instant Gratification

#29 Post by ecomoney »

For those requiring instant gratification (documentation for 3.xx series is hard to come by at the moment) - what are the simple steps for setting up 3d accelleration in puppy 3.xx series?
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

sketchman

#30 Post by sketchman »

What's your card?

If it's NVIDIA, see the following link. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 07&t=22272
Then do this.
Click and install the file you download.
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace
Type "install_nvidia", Enter.
Answer OK and Enter through any options.
When the installer finishes, type "xwin".
That should do it.
If it's something else, I have no idea. Although, I can tell you from experience; the only ATI card I've ever had, was a pain, and I'll never buy another one. It NEVER got to working properly, and I tried for weeks.

sketchman

#31 Post by sketchman »

Found another racing sim today. VDrift, it's called. Looks, good. I'm trying to get it to work at the moment. Bad checksums every time I dl. 3 times now at 200MB a pop, I think.

Got the latest linux beta of Racer to work, sorta, in 3.01. There are some texturing probs, but the game WILL run and you CAN drive some cool cars. I've been told it's a missing texture problem, so I'll see about it.

EDIT:

Fixed it. It seems as though people forget linux is case sensitive when they convert things from a windoze project. Oh well. Still can't get VDrift to work.

ecomoney

c libraries

#32 Post by ecomoney »

Hi just a note, to get racer to run I had to use MU's c libraries here
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

cb88

#33 Post by cb88 »

about vdrift as far as i can tell you have to install the physics engine too...

if you didn't get all the deps I imangine it will not work right it does look worth the effort though...

also I prefer offine games...so no racer inless there is a practice mode or they add some AI
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

sketchman

#34 Post by sketchman »

Actually the newest beta available for linux does have AI. I've got it working in 3.01 now. Trying to upload a torrent now.

sketchman

#35 Post by sketchman »

EDIT: File removed to avoid confusion.
-------------------------------------------------
Here you go. Racer0.5.3Beta5. Complete with a few extra cars and one or two extra tracks. I don't remember now. If someone has time to fix all the texturing problems, have at it, but I fixed some of them. The default track should be all fixed and most of the cars are fine too. I don't have hosting so, I'm seeding for the next 48 hours.

Hopefully that'll be long enough.
Last edited by sketchman on Tue 06 Nov 2007, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.

cb88

#36 Post by cb88 »

ack....I'm on dialup ... could you upload to filefront they offer free hosting for stuff
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.

sketchman

#37 Post by sketchman »

Uhm. Well. It says it's gonna take 2 hours. Is it more time you need or a faster dl speed? If the first is the case, when the 48 are up, I'll seed it for a week if you need. I won't be able to start it until tonight, around 8:00, so don't count on it till then. I got a weird schedule, I know.

I feel for you. I remember the dial-up days. I have to overpay $43.00 a month just to get a sad 768 connection through my idiot cable company. No DSL in my neck of the woods.

When you do get the file, unpack it wherever, and copy "libfmodex.so" to /usr/lib, or the game won't work. Then, just click the "runracer" script.

sketchman

#38 Post by sketchman »

Someone made the comment that the file is just zeroes. Checked it, and yup, it's empty. Don't know why that happened, but I'll just make a torrent of the dir instead of packing it first. Maybe that'll fix it.

sketchman

#39 Post by sketchman »

Well, I don't know what to do. When I package all the files in one with pupzip, it makes a 68mb file full of zeroes. When I try to make a torrent of the dir that has all the files, TPB says the torrent is broken.

I'm open to suggestions.

cb88

#40 Post by cb88 »

does the game need to be executed from a certain place? or can it just run from its own directory?

you could make it into an sfs

to do so make a folder and inside that folder

put /usr/local/apps/Games/name_of_game

for example you have a file that should appear in /usr/bin

in the folder (given that the path to the folder is /root/sfs-folder ) you are making the package in it should appear as /root/sfs-folder/usr/bin/file

now to make the sfs of that folder you do this

mksquashfs /root/sfs-folder /root/game.sfs that will make an sfs of the game and place it in root you may need to put it somwhere else if it is too big...

BTW sfs compression is pretty good

also as an added enhancment you can make the directory that the game resides in into an AppDir
by including a script insside the directory Called AppRun when you click on that script it should run the game

if you want to give the AppDir an icon symlink the icon for the game with a link named .DirIcon (notice the . at the beginnint of the link) the dot makes the link hidden and is required for it to work

there are some examples of appdirs in /usr/local/apps you need to right click and choose look inside to open them

FretsOnFire compiled by wow is a game that is an sfs and is also an appdir so it might be worth looking at just download the sfs and click on it in puppy 2.17 or 3.00 and up and it will open if you open the sfs like that it will appear as it should before you package it

well that is my 2 cents... ask if you didn't quite get any of that....
cb88