HOW-do I upgrade Opera?

Booting, installing, newbie
castalla2007

HOW-do I upgrade Opera?

#1 Post by castalla2007 »

Opera tells me there is a new version. When I go to the upgrade site it asks what Linux am I using - what should I choose?

If I upgrade will the process be automatic (as it is in Windows)?

Very reluctant to do anything not knowing what to expect!

Advice please.
klu9

#2 Post by klu9 »

I think it's best to wait until someone creates a dot pup file to install in Puppy.
mdisaster2

#3 Post by mdisaster2 »

First, Opera's install process is not that automated, you still have to download an installer and run it (even in Windows afaik). The good news is that Opera can be updated just by installing the new version over the old one - the installer is smart enough to figure it out. However you MUST do a clean install when installing a test version (alpha/beta/weekly/snapshot/whatever).

As for the install itself, it is simpler to stick to the install method you used the first time, ie if you installed Opera from a puppy package it is better to stick to pups and pets, and if you installed with the Opera installer keep using that one. If you decide to change the install method you should make sure that the new files overwrite the old ones. This is easy when changing from pup to standard installer (just make it put its stuff where the old stuff is).

Me, I always use the most current Slackware installer from the Opera site. Basically as soon Opera 9.50 final is out I'll just go to opera.com, download the slackware 12.0 version, unpack it into a empty folder, and run the install shell accepting all the defaults.

Note that most installers on the Opera site also require QT. However there are static versions that have QT linked in. This may be a concern if you change from a static build to a dynamic one and there is no QT in your system, if that is the case Opera won't start (and you'll see some QT related error messages) until you install QT from petget.

Hope it helps....
castalla2007

#4 Post by castalla2007 »

Thanks for the detailed explanation - think I'll wait for a pet or dotpup because that's what I used initially.
Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

castalla2007 wrote:Thanks for the detailed explanation - think I'll wait for a pet or dotpup because that's what I used initially.
I wouldn't wait, because you don't know when and if the next package will be made. Release cycles on browsers are typically a little faster than release cycles on Puppy.

I recommend learning how to install Opera. It's not hard or I wouldn't recommend it.

A brother and I got in a big argument about there being so many Opera versions. There aren't, there's just a big drop down list or something at Opera's site, I guess.

I have a habit of perusing ftp sites and if you do that, you should find that there are not all that many Operas to choose from for Linux. I take the tar.gz one of two and it doesn't matter which one of the two you choose, either will work.

<ftp.opera.com> use an ftp client, not the browser

PS mdisaster2's advice was good and accurate. A main difference here is the interface used to get the file.
castalla2007

HELP! What next

#6 Post by castalla2007 »

Against my better judgement (!) I dloaded the slackware Opera. Unzipped it and now I'm totally lost about what to do next! I can't see anything remotely resembling an install file. Even then I still haven't a clue what to do if it exists.

Help me!

(I installed a pup called Gslapt (but that doesn't work either despite the fact it sems to have installed properly). Using 301.
mdisaster2

#7 Post by mdisaster2 »

Ok, you did most of the work already. :)

INSTALLING OPERA

The opera installer is a file named install.sh in the folder you created. You should open a terminal window, navigate to the directory where you have unzipped opera, and execute the command:

./install.sh

The installer will ask you a number of questions. Go ahead and accept all the default answers, you'll be up and running in a few seconds. Opera will reuse your setting folders and pick up all your settings from the previous installation.
(usually the settings folder is /root/.opera. If this is not the case you may need to give the correct location to the installer when it asks for it)

LAUNCHING OPERA

After installation you can launch opera from the terminal window, just to make sure it works fine (ignore any java errors if you don't have java installed).

OPTIONAL TASKS

To create a Opera icon on the desktop first find the script that starts opera (should be in some bin or sbin folder, possibly usr/bin or usr/sbin or usr/local/bin or usr/local/sbin), Drag it on the desktop and you'll get a script icon. Change the properties of the icon from the right click menu of Rox and you'll be able to substitute the proper Opera icon, which should be somewhere in /usr/share or /usr/local/share (use the find utils from the puppy menu).

You may want to tweak the fonts to make Opera look better. I install the Microsoft Webcore Fonts and/or the Liberation fonts, restart X so the fonts are visible by the programs, then I go in the Opera advanced preferences and substitute the ugly default fonts that Opera is using with the nicer fonts I just installed.

I also add the command export QT_XFT=1 to the opera startup script (or even to my .bash.rc). Don't know if it is still required, but it surely did make a lot of difference with the older versions.

Hope it helps... :)
waldo

uninstall

#8 Post by waldo »

1st I would suggest to uninstall Opera with the puppy package manager. If it was Opera9.02.pup I'm not sure wether all files will be replaced.

Downloading Opera from this side

http://www.slacky.eu/

you can execute "tgz2pet *tgz" in a tmp folder.

On the Opera downloadsite you find "Language files" for different Opera versions.

Opera installs in /usr/lib. You will find a link in /usr/bin which you can drag to the desktop.

In newer versions this link has it's icon, if not you'll find them in /usr/share/opera. The language file has to be copied there in "locale".

HTH
castalla2007

#9 Post by castalla2007 »

Why do you suggest running tgz2pet?

Someone said use ftp not a browser. Why?