How to install Flightgear flight simulator in 3.01?

Booting, installing, newbie
castalla2007

How to install Flightgear flight simulator in 3.01?

#1 Post by castalla2007 »

Can anyone help me - I would like to install Flightgear in 3.01.

Here's the advice from the Flightgear page:

If you have X working on your system, and your hardware supports OpenGL then installing these 2 packages should be all that's required to get you flying - just start fgrun under X.

FG is a slackware 10.x package.

I'm a absolute newbie so I need very clear instructions on what I have to do! First, I suppose I have to get X working? So how do I do that?

regards

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

If you've got a puppy installation, with a working display, then you have "X". But to use openGL, you need an Xorg based X, not xvesa.

If you're not sure, you can "kill" the display by typing "Control+Alt+Backspace", then type xorgwizard on the commandline. You will be offered 2 choices, Xorg or Xvesa. Choose Xorg, and select the optimum graphics for your setup. Then restart the window manager by typing xwin

If you're not happy with the graphics, repeat the above process & choose a different setting.

Then download & install Mu's 3DCC program to install openGL:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 00&t=14463

castalla2007

thanks

#3 Post by castalla2007 »

okay ... I'll follow your advice. Thanks. I'll report back tomorrow (as I've had too many tinnies to continue at the moment!). Please stay tuned because I'm certain I'm going to need more help! I have Xorg installed. Do I install Mu's 3DCC via pup management utilty (can't remember the correct name)?

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

Mu's 3DCC is a .pup, so you should be able to just download, click & install.

castalla2007

#5 Post by castalla2007 »

Okay - managed to install 3DCC. What now - do I run all the various components (except nvidia which I don't have)?

muggins

#6 Post by muggins »

Going on memory here, but I think if you start 3DCC, (from it's menu entry, or typing 3DCC on commandline), there's a button to install openGL, which if you click it, will download & install openGL for you.

For some reason, that I'm sure Mu mentioned but I can't recall, there's an openGL-A & openGL-B, so if A doesn't work, try B.

And where is the flightgear package you want to install?

castalla2007

#7 Post by castalla2007 »

Right! I tried the install OpenGL - screen feedback said such and such OpenGL files already existed and did I want to replace. I assumed that meant OpenGL is already installed. So I tried the test 3D graphics option. Nothing happened! So, essentially I'm lost about what to do.

The flightgear package is at:

http://www.flightgear.org/Downloads/binary.shtml

It's slackware, so I've got to scale that mountain next! After I'm sure OpenGL is working!