Gxine playing DVD freezes when full screen chosen

Booting, installing, newbie
vinoman

Gxine playing DVD freezes when full screen chosen

#1 Post by vinoman »

I was playing a DVD in gxine and when I resized the window while the dvd was playing, it freezes up. How do I kill the process to start over without having to reboot the computer?
PlancksCnst

#2 Post by PlancksCnst »

Three ways:
1)You can try right-clicking on the title bar and selecting Kill

Sometimes that doesn't actually work, and when you try to restart gxine, it doesn't come up. So you can try...

2)There is an app in Puppy for viewing running processes (forgot what it's called or where it is in the menu, but you'll know it when you see it), and it will let you kill a process.

Sometimes that doesn't work well enough, either. In that case, this has always worked for me...

3) Open the console (rxvt) and run:

Code: Select all

ps -aux | grep xine
. It will list all processes with "xine" in the name. There should be at least two: the frozen gxine app, and the grep that you just ran. The number all the way to the left is the process id. Next run

Code: Select all

kill processid
, replacing "processid" with the actual process id.
memeyou

#3 Post by memeyou »

i get this all the time while watching videos. i'm using xorg - (xvesa uses too much cpu on my p3). I have to killall gxine.

what causes this? is there a fix or workaround?
Kosh

#4 Post by Kosh »

This should work too - open a terminal, type xkill, hit enter and then use the mouse to kill the window that's crashed. Be careful - the first click you make will kill whatever's under the cursor.
Ian
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Ian »

Vinoman, how much RAM do you have in your machine.
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#6 Post by Béèm »

There have been at least three threads about this.
The problem is known, also by BarryK I think.
The advice was to use mplayer.

It appears to be independent of available storage.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
Bruce B

#7 Post by Bruce B »

I think if you maximize the gxine 'window' before going fullscreen it won't misbehave the way it does by simply going fullscreen.

According to what I've read. I'm still using an earlier version that doesn't do this.
vinoman

#8 Post by vinoman »

Thanks for the advice. I just won't resize while the video is playing and it works fine. :)