Puppy ease of use - "choosing distro" site says its hard?

Using applications, configuring, problems
jonyo

#21 Post by jonyo »

Well..I found pup very easy to get started with but it then became quite difficult & remains so. I don't fiddle with it much (used to..) but rock solid for my needs.

Any problem that may come up with an install of stuff & i'm usually lost in the mumbo jumbo of how to fix unless I run across someone patient enuff for a step by step.

But I also found this with other distros (& I've tried many and still have some) when problems arose & they did, so I just stick with pup & take it one step at a time. It's working out great.

Got a link for that site?
hillside

#22 Post by hillside »

there are people who can be bothered with newbie questions
Yes indeed. Thank God for all those wonderful, patient people.

Windows self destructed on my wife's machine again tonight. Puppy had her up and going again in a few minutes. After I got her most important stuff backed up, I rebooted back into Windows again and it seems to be running OK. She's lucky she has me.
oblivious

#23 Post by oblivious »

Got a link for that site?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distribution
It was one of the sites footnoted to this page (not the zegenie.. one, I can remember that much)
hillside

#24 Post by hillside »

This seems to be the site.

http://desktoplinuxathome.com/distro.html

When I answer their quiz and tell them I'm not experienced with computers, their recommendation says I won't be happy with Puppy and lists it as best for experienced users. They don't say why.
hillside

#25 Post by hillside »

Ah. When I get hunting around at this site I come up with this page.

http://desktoplinuxathome.com/make_the_move.html

He's apparently pushing his own package for 25 bucks. Puppy isn't part of his package. Imagine that. No wonder he wants to steer people away from it.
cb88

#26 Post by cb88 »

We computer/linux users have little concept of how hard computers can be for some regular people to use perhaps use is the wrong word however... the apropriate term would be "setup"

i have one friend in particular that is probably smarter than I am but as soon as you say the words o/s install or mention some new software .... the eyes sorta glaze over.... my friend can use XP but remember that is preinstalled.... most distros now have have hardware detection that is as good as puppy time to innovate again....
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30
ol_smokey

#27 Post by ol_smokey »

How can installing and using Puppy be more difficult than installing say UBUNTU. I tried to install Ubuntu and almost got myself into an awful muddle with partitioning drives and installing bootloaders.

I could probably manage it quite easily now I've been a Puppyist for a few months as I've built up a bit of knowledge and confidence.

ol_smokey
Pizzasgood

#28 Post by Pizzasgood »

I do get the feeling that people who are experienced with more normal distros would find Puppy difficult. Unlike the newbies, they have expectations about which apps will be there and how they'll work, expectations that Puppy often doesn't fulfill.

Examples:
*No vi, nor emacs
*Compiler isn't included (only a problem when they aren't aware of devx_xxx.sfs)
*No runlevels
*Non-standard man system (Puppy does have man2html, so why not mod Puppy's man system to look for standard man files if html versions can't be found, then automatically create and display the html version?)
*The default file manager isn't dual paned (oh noes! end of world! 'cuz it's not like I can just middle/right click the refresh button or the up button or a directory (middle only) to open a second window when I need one)
*Many standard utilities have been omitted or replaced by stripped down versions.
*Not conducive to true multi-user, though it has improved somewhat over the years.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]
puppyLUVER1234

#29 Post by puppyLUVER1234 »

hillside wrote:Windows self destructed on my wife's machine again tonight. Puppy had her up and going again in a few minutes. After I got her most important stuff backed up, I rebooted back into Windows again and it seems to be running OK. She's lucky she has me.
Self destruct in 5,4,3,2,1,BOOM! Puppy to the rescue! Yea Puppy is a very good recovery or backup os, or it can be your primary os if you fiddle a little with it.
oblivious

#30 Post by oblivious »

Pizzasgood wrote:I do get the feeling that people who are experienced with more normal distros would find Puppy difficult. .
If Puppy has non-standard features, the designation as recommended for "knowledgeable" people is even odder - they'd be the ones who'd notice this.

I looked at Ubuntu and couldn't figure out how to put my internet connection information in :lol:
jonyo

#31 Post by jonyo »

oblivious wrote:I looked at Ubuntu and couldn't figure out how to put my internet connection information in :lol:
I found that with alot of linux OSs. Some are certainly easier than others. Pup's I found most intuitive & was my first linux wifi connection. Never forget that day.. when the twin tv icon started blinking green.. :)

Easiest way to get wifi on any linux OS is to (try to..) find out which wifi gear is known to be plug & play* with a particular linux OS and also version. Often works on one vers then doesn't on the next (plug & play.. that is)..

That* can be a problem too though..lotsa (old &) misinformation out there.
PaulBx1

#32 Post by PaulBx1 »

Puppy has been THE distro for me to escape Windows. It's got a feature that makes this step easy: it's a Live-CD. That one fact makes it easy to try out and get comfortable with, while leaving the Windows install alone as a security blanket and a back-up OS. No need to install anything. For me this puts Puppy WAY ahead of any except a few other Live-CDs.

The other great feature of Puppy is an excellent forum.

These two items make Puppy the premier path away from Windows.