How to transfer Puppy 2.17 to new hd?

Using applications, configuring, problems
puppyLUVER1234

How to transfer Puppy 2.17 to new hd?

#1 Post by puppyLUVER1234 »

Ok, i am going to transfer my current installation of Puppy from my old 1GB Western Digital Caviar hard drive (which is failing) to a 5GB ext2 partition on another hd. Would this kill my puppy or would it still be the same? On the other partition i am running Ubuntu.
raffy

frugal

#2 Post by raffy »

If it is a frugal install, just the pup_save.2fs will matter. Of course you have to also copy the other Puppy files: vmlinuz, initrd.gz, pup_217.sfs, zdrv_217.sfs.

For full install, I guess copy all.

You have to update grub (ie, /boot/menu.lst), wherever that is in your PC.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].
Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

When 2.17 came out the install script wouldn't see hda1, so I installed it (full install) on another partition then copied to hda1.

Made a minor edit to top line of /etc/fstab and its been working since.

I think you should not copy files from an 'active' OS, but rather from another OS. Example: boot Puppy with the pfix=ram option and do your copying from it, this way you know the files are not being changed in any way during the copy process.

Depending on how GRUB is installed, you may need to reinstall it.
benign

#4 Post by benign »

I did a fresh install to the external hard drive, and then made a copy of the save file I was using for the liveCD (while it was running), mounted the copy, and copied the entire contents over to / on the ext3 filesystem of the external hard drive.
alienjeff

Re: How to transfer Puppy 2.17 to new hd?

#5 Post by alienjeff »

There are several ways to do this transfer: via either GUI apps or the command line - the choice of which depends on your experience/comfort level. To provide accurately targeted help, we'll need more information.

As BruceB queried, is your current installation a full for frugal installation?

What version of Puppy do you want to move?

What is the partition layout of the "new" HD?

What else is on that "new" HD?

Are you familiar with "cp" or "dd" ?

Rhetorical question: Do you have a recent back-up of your existing installation?

Friendly editorial: If you did have a recent back-up, this thread would be in large part unnecessary. :roll:
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]