How to do full install of 3.01 on USB external hard drive?

Using applications, configuring, problems
stevenbinion

How to do full install of 3.01 on USB external hard drive?

#1 Post by stevenbinion »

From reading over the forums I am not finding any help for a full install of Puppy 3.01 to a USB External Hard Drive this is something that would really help me out a lot, as I am using Cedega and I'm confined to the free space of the puppy save file. I hope someone can help me with this, It certainly is something that I can not do from the Puppy Universal Installer. I think this would be a great addition to the Installer.
Bikerbob

#2 Post by Bikerbob »

Yep, it is just a normal install of puppy on the mounted HD..

NOW to reboot that HD if you dont have an option in the bios to boot to USB.. if you do.. then no issue.

If you dont then you will need to use WAKE PUP to get it up and running again.

THis is a downloadable boot DISK or you can put it on CD and you can boot your USB HD that way as WAKE PUP will install DOS drivers and allow you to continue booting your kernel image from there.

GOOD LUCK.

James
(PS. been there done that.. so I know it works)
stevenbinion

#3 Post by stevenbinion »

I mounted the drive to give it a shot. and I still can only get the choice of my Internal HD. I'll have no problem booting it as the bios allows for a USB boot device. Are you using the Puppy Universal Installer that is native to Puppy 3.01? or did you use another?

I've tried all of the Install options that were given.
stevenbinion

#4 Post by stevenbinion »

All right this does not work. I do not get the option to do a FULL INSTALL on a USB External HD. If I try and do the FULL INSTALL the only drive that shows up is my Internal HD. the only Option I can use to put Puppy on my USB External HD is the one for the USB External HD. and there is no option for a FULL INSTALL when you make this choice. This is not a case that you just throw in an IDE or SATA drive or I would just toss it in a box, install puppy and just throw it back in the External Case. I hope someone can help.
Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

When 2.17 came out there was a problem with the install script. The problem was that on some computers all the available Linux partitions didn't display. In my case hda1 didn't display so that was not an installer option.

So, I installed it on another partition and then copied it over to hda1. I changed the top line of fstab and it was ready to go. (GRUB was already pointing to hda1 from a previous Puppy install)

Will this information help you? I don't know.
stevenbinion

#6 Post by stevenbinion »

Bruce B wrote:When 2.17 came out there was a problem with the install script. The problem was that on some computers all the available Linux partitions didn't display. In my case hda1 didn't display so that was not an installer option.

So, I installed it on another partition and then copied it over to hda1. I changed the top line of fstab and it was ready to go. (GRUB was already pointing to hda1 from a previous Puppy install)

Will this information help you? I don't know.
Your onto an Option I would take here. I have a box I could install 3.01 onto. then copy puppy over. but I do think I would need more info on copying correctly, as I don't want to miss important hidden systems files.. also what is the FStab? and what is It I would need to edit? and the portable drive I use I think it's /mnt/sdb1/