EZpup-3.01 Now Available!

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
WhoDo

#41 Post by WhoDo »

wingruntled wrote:It might but I'm afraid to try it at this point. LOL...[snip]... -booted with 3.01 and JWM config WORKS!!!! :) and everything is still intact.
Good news. 8)
wingruntled wrote:Thanks for all the help WhoDo. I do a hell of a lot of poking around with things I don't really understand so who knows what I may have done to cause the problem that occured. For many years I use to "try" to break windows just so I could see if I could fix it. Well that got real boring hence, Linux.
The poor little puppy is being victomized. LOL
And you're "afraid to try" icewm? :? Aww, c'mon, now! :lol:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com
wingruntled

#42 Post by wingruntled »

And you're "afraid to try" icewm? ... Aww, c'mon, now!
LOL
No I'm not afraid of icewm, it's the changing back to jwm that has me a little spooked at this point. I installed EZPUP for all of the other things that are in it. Like the eye candy and all those libs, but not the ice. :)
Eyes-Only

#43 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi wingruntled!

Awww! You'd really love IceWM I think. JWM is nice but it hasn't nearly the features of IceWM in my opinion. I came to know about that window manager from this distro and I loved its simplicity so much, the fact that it kept just enough out of my way, yet at the same time had so much power in just a few little text files that I could control, tweak, and fine-tune my system to just about any way possible that I wanted---that now even in the bigger distros that I run (Linux Mint 4/Mepis 7/TinyFlux) I make sure I have IceWM installed and I often use that over the preferred default desktop of KDE or Gnome. :)

You really want to see some of these larger distros fly? Try them with IceWM. I'm surprised this little gem isn't more widely known.

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*
wingruntled

#44 Post by wingruntled »

Eyes_Only
I have used icewm for awhile. I installed EZpup when I was running puppy 2.17 but kept finding myself switching back to jwm for some reason ???
I guess you can't teach old dogs new tricks. LOL
Eyes-Only

#45 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi again Wingruntled!

Oh sure you can teach an old dog new tricks! Hey, I'm living proof of that one myself. ;)

Ah! But there is another thing my friend and it's called "personal preference". And apparently your personal preference just seems to be for JWM---and that I hadn't realised until now. :)

We who speak French as our first language have a saying and it goes like this: "Chacun a son gout!" Those who speak English would say: "To each his own!"

In all actuality Wingruntled, since JWM has passed the 2.0 mark I do have to agree that it's become quite a window manager in its own right. The 1.x versions I myself never cared much for. But the professional look of 2.x, when done right, can be simply breath-taking to say the least. This is why I was rather "disgruntled" when VectorLinux 5.9 Gold wouldn't work on my computer recently. Have you seen what they've done with JWM 2.0? I would've used that for my default VL 5.9 desktop and been very happy.

If you haven't seen it stop by their page and try to find some screenies of that desktop (sorry I don't have the URL on me) as you'll be blown away. Now if it looked like that in Puppy...

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*
Kezo

EZpup missing console

#46 Post by Kezo »

Dear all,

I'm a newbe on Puppy Linux 3.01 (BTW Linux in general...), but I really like EZpup how it looks like. I installed it, and I recognised that the icon for the console does not work anymore. I got the message:
"File doesn't exist, or I can't access it: /usr/bin/mrxvt."
Any idea how to repair?

And I have an idea: it would be nice if one EZpup version would be optimized for laptops. I mean it should contain battery monitoring, handling the folded laptop and/or standby... It is just an idea, but it would be useful to people like me who fed up with XP, and want to change to a really good system.
[color=indigo]Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic...[/color]
wingruntled

#47 Post by wingruntled »

Kezo
Welcome to Puppy Linux. The console can be fixed by right clicking on the icon and "edit item". Change the /usr/bin/mrxvt. to /usr/bin/rxvt
Thats it..
Search the forums for battery monitor and you will fine all kinds of them.
Kezo

#48 Post by Kezo »

Hi Wingruntled,

thanx for the solution, it worked!
Another strange phenomena, today I started Puppy, and I got the mysterious window someone mentioned before, and I don't know what to do with it...

Any help would be appreciated!

Kezo
[color=indigo]Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic...[/color]
Eyes-Only

#49 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Kezo! Welcome to the "Puppy Kennels"! :)

By "I got the mysterious window" when you booted up did you mean that the window that came up was filled with text, the end text saying something in red about your "...window manager seems to have crashed..." or something like that?

If this is indeed the case then type the following:

Code: Select all

xwin icewm-session
and your IceWM desktop *should* come right back up again. Let us know if that helped mate, okie?

Sorry you had to wait for the answer as I was busy today...

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*
Kezo

#50 Post by Kezo »

Hi Eyes-Only,

the "mysterious window" is the same that Wolf pup found already.
As a good puppy I played with it and I found that is really Blinky which does not want to sit to its place. I #-ed all of the blinky rows in the startup, and this window disappeared.
BTW, I have no Blinky now :D

Thanx for the help!
Eyes-Only

#51 Post by Eyes-Only »

Glad you got it solved Kezo! Great! :D I'm glad it was something as simple as that. My first thought is always that one I gave you because... well... I guess it's because I'm a good one for "bringing down the desktop". LOL!

Once again: Welcome to the Puppy kennels and I hope that you continue enjoying Puppy and that it's a very positive experience for you my friend! Hope to see you posting again soon. :)

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*
puppyLUVER1234

#52 Post by puppyLUVER1234 »

Welcome to the forums! I normally run Ubuntu now, before i got my memory upgrade i was running Puppy cause ubuntu was slow as heck lol. I still have Puppy Linux installed on my hard drive just in case i need to test some weird program or Ubuntu dies, or if i just need speed. But back on topic: I use this app in Ubuntu called gDesklets, they are like Google Desktop for windows. It has a battery monitor in it. Idk if someone could make this usable for puppy cause the way it came from the Ubuntu archives it was a .deb file.
Eyes-Only

#53 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi PuppyLover! Try taking a look at this post: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=25822 Now while it says it's for 3.0.x perhaps it might work in 2.17? You can always ask the person who did it as they might know for sure.

While Barry has said most apps aren't backward compatible but only forward compatible I haven't experienced many problems in doing "mix'n'match" myself.

Another thing too: There's a .pup I think, maybe a .pet, which may be installed called "undeb" (another for "unrpm" as well), a very simple programme which I really enjoy. Simply take your file to an empty directory, call up a terminal and type (without quotes) "undeb <filename>.deb" and it's opened to a "usr" directory in said folder. Then all you need do is take a programme like XFE, a dual-pane file manager, and go down through the directory structure keeping left/right panes in sync and manually install the file.

I've had excellent luck all the way around here. Maybe you would as well?

Bonne Chance!/Good Luck!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*
puppyLUVER1234

#54 Post by puppyLUVER1234 »

I dont think that undeb would work, i think this program relies on some parts of Gnome wm that puppy does not have. Like transparency, a real taskbar like windowz has that has the running processes in it, etc. Havent checked out the link yet.
Wolf Pup

#55 Post by Wolf Pup »

mysterious window doesn't appear now after this change:

sleep 3 && /root/my-applications/blinky-0.8-icewm/start-blinky &
to

sleep 5 && /root/my-applications/blinky-0.8-icewm/start-blinky &
now blinky stays in the taskbar.
[img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8595/ubd6467dp2.png[/img]
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/54tu74]Visit The Repository[/url] - Helpful and hard-to-find treats for Puppy 3.
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/c5a68f]Click Here for Puppy Support Chat, + Helpful Links.[/url]
moijdikssekool

#56 Post by moijdikssekool »

hi
i want to translate ezpup. I've found the main menu (and i had to translate the same thing several times, is-it not possible to have only one main menu among the files?)
I don't find any files containing 'Copy' like in the right-click mouse menu. Where can we find this one?
WhoDo

#57 Post by WhoDo »

moijdikssekool wrote:i want to translate ezpup. I've found the main menu (and i had to translate the same thing several times, is-it not possible to have only one main menu among the files?) I don't find any files containing 'Copy' like in the right-click mouse menu. Where can we find this one?
The menu for EZpup is in /etc/xdg/templates and it's called _root_icewm_menu. It is the main template from which the menus are constructed. The xdg menu system takes the template + /usr/share/applications/*.desktop files and combines them to create /root/.icewm/menu.

The rest of the menus are controlled by /menu/desktop/chooselocale, which supports various localisation files for Puppy, and ROX-filer language settings (right click desktop icon, choose ROX-Filer>Options>Language).

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
moijdikssekool

#58 Post by moijdikssekool »

okay! and how to set default language? so, the user wouldn't be to set the language after installation
WhoDo

#59 Post by WhoDo »

moijdikssekool wrote:okay! and how to set default language? so, the user wouldn't be to set the language after installation
For Puppy: Remaster with the desired settings in place. Menu>Setup>Remaster Puppy LiveCD

For EZpup: Unpack the EZpup dotpet file using pet2tgz, change the enclosed templates, etc and repack the EZpup dotpet file using dir2pet.
charnisingh

EZpup-3.01

#60 Post by charnisingh »

Who Do,

Thanks for your new EZpup -3.01 which can work in puppy-4-dingo-
3.96-k2.6.24. see the screen shot posted in the forum today by me
. the other one is attached here.