Cable internet connection fails at DHCP

Booting, installing, newbie
Jerminator

Cable internet connection fails at DHCP

#1 Post by Jerminator »

Puppy booted up great on my Acer laptop (3003WCi).

But it will not connect to the internet. It sees my LAN card just fine (integrated), but fails when requesting a DHCP connection. I don't think I can get a static IP address from my cable internet modem.

What should I do? I really like everything I've seen from Puppy so far, but if I can't access the internet....
Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

What you describe is very common the first boots.

(1) Your NIC is recoginzed

(2) No Network

-------------------------------------

This is because YOU have to run the 'network wizard' from the menu or the icon on the desktop but I forgot that that icon is named 'connect ?'.

Then you should be able to configure and save the settings. Subsequent reboots should look more like this

(1) Your NIC is recoginzed

(2) Network works also
Jerminator

#3 Post by Jerminator »

Nope it doesn't work after reboot.

When it first boots up there is an icon that says "Connect". When I click it it gives me the option of connecting via modem or NIC. I chose NIC and it detects my ethernet card. Next it gives the button to detect interface. I click that and it says that an active network is detected. Then I click on "Connect with DHCP" and it says that detection was unsuccessful. Incidentally, unplugging the network cable does not change anything. I don't know what else to do.
Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

Jerminator wrote:I don't know what else to do.
If Puppy sees and active interface click on it. See pic below, in this case the active interface is eth0, so I click on it.
Attachments
netsetup-01.png
(27.56 KiB) Downloaded 498 times
Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

Usually I select the auto dhcp then after it reports success I save the changes.

If you are getting this far and it's not working and want help, I guess the best thing is to describe your connection type and any previous successes and failures with other OSes. Especially want to know did it ever work and in what environment.
Attachments
netsetup-02.png
(34.01 KiB) Downloaded 490 times
Jerminator

#6 Post by Jerminator »

My screen looks a little bit different but that is essentially the same thing I did. But it returned the message of UNSUCCSESSFUL. I am using version 3.01. Should I maybe try the previous version of Puppy?

On Ubuntu it just picked it right up and grabbed the DHCP address right off the bat. In Windows XP I had to go in and tell it to detect the DCHP address. But it always worked after I did that.
Bruce B

#7 Post by Bruce B »

Here are a couple of long shot thoughts for you. I'm assuming you are using a router - maybe a cable modem router.

A router of this kind is setup to provide DHCP to its guests or NOT.

If you decide to give one computer a static IP address the router is not going to like it. It really won't like it if you gave it the same IP address as another running guest.

Also some routers store the MAC address of its guests so it can provide the same address regardless of booting order.

In summary - if it were me I'd reset the router by holding the reset switch for 30 seconds 3x

----------------------

Another thing to try is Puppy live cd with the puppy pfix=ram argument and see if it connects right. This would help isolate if the problem is in your pup_save file.

If you have other Puppy versions on CD you can try different versions using the same boot argument and see if results vary.

And I'm about out of thoughts except for defective hardware like the NIC or the RJ45 cable or bad connections.
aliG

#8 Post by aliG »

Jerminator,

This may or may not help, from the posts above I can't determine if you are connecting to the Cable company via a modem or via a router.

In the UK most of the cable companies require the MAC address of the card in the PC or router to be registered with them. if you have an ethernet cable modem and plug it direct into the PC, the cable company sees the MAC of the NIC in the PC.

In my case I signed up from one PC, but I then used another - No DHCP and no service! I had to go on the web and register the second NIC (we are allowed three). When I installed a wireless router It has a nifty feature to clone the MAC address to the "external" side of the router so the cable company never knew...

Has the PC you are using EVER connected to the cable service, e.g. under windows or do you use a different windows PC?

Just a thought
Alison