Which versions of Puppy can go on 1GB USB Flash stick?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Marcel

Which versions of Puppy can go on 1GB USB Flash stick?

#1 Post by Marcel »

I would like to install Puppy on a 1GB USB stick and boot from it. It would be useful to know which versions would fit on it, so I could decide which one to choose. Also, to install thereon, should the stick be formatted as NTFS?
Any info gratefully received!
Thanks
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." - Voltaire
PaulBx1

#2 Post by PaulBx1 »

All Puppies fit on a 1GB stick with lots of room to spare. It's usually formatted FAT16 by default (I think); use it that way, not NTFS.
Marcel

#3 Post by Marcel »

Puppy 3.01 installed on my USB flash dongle beautifully. :D
Alas, I then discovered that my BIOS boot menu doesn't allow booting from the USB :oops:
Is there a trick that would boot into Windoze Vista and then boot up from the USB drive?
Vista is @#%& - but my laptop was stolen and my new machine forced Vista on me :evil:
Thanks
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." - Voltaire
John Lewis

#4 Post by John Lewis »

Hi Marcel,

I had a similar problem.

there is a small program called wake2pup. I have this on a business card size cd. You can google for the iso or search this site as I can't remember where I found it now.

plug in the usb card and run the cd. That works for me.

One thing. I found on my computer I have to wait until the first bit of the program runs before plugging in the dongle or the computer freezes sometimes.

John Lewis
happyhippo

#5 Post by happyhippo »

iused 1 off the puppy nop distro's, and i put portable apps on it.
so if i have a pc tat does not support booting from usb i use PA and otherwise puppy
Marcel

wake2pup

#6 Post by Marcel »

Can wake2pup be installed on a CD? My new VISTA machine doesn't have a floppy.

It seems they don't make them with floppies these days, which is a pity - I have loads of stuff on floppies - old docs from way back that I'd like to access. I suppose I'll have to buy a floppy drive. :roll:
Marcel

Found a post that tells how to do it from CD

#7 Post by Marcel »

Sorry folks! I just noticed this thread in Howto:
"How to make a multi-purpose boot CD for Puppy"
I'll try it.
muggins

#8 Post by muggins »

Hi Marcel,

If you have a look at this thread, jcoder24 outlines how to have multiple pups boot, on one CD, using grub. As you can use grub & memdisk.bin to boot any bootable floppy .img file of a hard disk, you should be able to apply this to a wakepup.img on a CD. Something along the lines of:

Code: Select all

title wakepup
kernel /boot/grub/memdisk.bin
initrd /boot/grub/wakepup2.img
John Lewis

#9 Post by John Lewis »

Hi Marcel,

Yes Wake2Pup goes on a CD

There is Wakepup. That goes on a floppy.

It is included in puppy distro in the setup menu.

Wake2Pup is not in the distro. You need to download it.

It is burned to a CD. I used a businesscard size CD.

Hope this helps,

John Lewis
John Lewis

#10 Post by John Lewis »

Me again Marcel,

Made a mistake. It should be Wakepup2.

The link is to the post by pakt and has download for the cd version that I use.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=7979

John Lewis
Marcel

Booting from USB stick

#11 Post by Marcel »

Thanks everyone - you've been very helpful.
Now I have an embarassing confession to make: :oops: just yesterday I discovered that pressing ESC when booting up my computer produces a boot menu where there is a choice to boot from USB stick :oops:
My only excuse is that it's a new machine - just 2 weeks in my possession, and it has no useful documentation (it was a demo model, and I guess the dealer didn't include all the docs).
Hopefully all your useful suggestions will be of help to others.
So: apologies and thanks again for your trouble.
crabbypup

#12 Post by crabbypup »

on the other hand, my computer supports booting from a usb stick, i have an 8gb stick. :) i tried to install TEENpup2.14 on it, but with some difficulty. then i finally try to boot from it an it says that it cant find linux :? and asks for the boot image. :( can anyone help?

i have been trying to get a usb puppy working for a while, but to no avail.

some assistance would be great, thanks.

(the storage file mentioned below is from my main HDD, not my usb drive)
my avatar is what happens when you run windoze.
John Lewis

#13 Post by John Lewis »

Glad you got it working Marcel.

Crabbypup,

Did you use the universal installer to make the USB Puppy ?

That is how I made mine. Booted a disk Puppy and then used the installer by following the prompts. (Frugal Install)

I do remember reading that Puppy might be unhappy with a usb card greater than two gigabytes. My biggest is 2gig so I have no experience with a larger size. Perhaps this only referred to the size of the save file. I'm not sure now.

Perhaps you need to partition the stick.

Have you looked at what is on the stick to see if all the needed files are there ? Mine has:

initrd.gz, idlinux.sys, pup-301.sfs, syslinux.cfg, usbflash, vmlinuz and zdrv_301.sfs . After your first save you also get the pupsave file.

I recall it is important to have the file usbflash which is empty and is a marker for the usb loading I think.

Hope this helps,
John Lewis
aliG

#14 Post by aliG »

Marcel - You say your laptop has Vista, so I am guessing it's quite a new one, yet it won't easily boot from USB. - What make . model is it?
PaulBx1

#15 Post by PaulBx1 »

crabbypup, your 8GB stick makes me wonder what filesystem it is formatted with. FAT16 obviously can't support that size. But from what I've read, FAT16 seems to be the least trouble-prone format to work with.
crabbypup

#16 Post by crabbypup »

it is a fat32 formatted drive, and johnlewis, could you post copies of the files for download? i think that by copying the files onto the stick i have that i can get it to boot. (also, after the frugal install to the usbcard, there are no files on it at all) also, my stick seems to not like to be repartitioned with more than one partition. or any, it seems. i tried it yesterday and it gave me error messages. but i finally got it partitioned to fat32 (the original filesystem).
Last edited by crabbypup on Mon 11 Feb 2008, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.
John Lewis

#17 Post by John Lewis »

crabbypup,

Ok, I have just tried this and it worked ok.

1) I booted up puppy from cd. I used the neww 301eee version as I wanted to try it. I assume the files will have the same names from version to version or nearly so.

2) I used Gparted to format the stick to fat32 and I checked the box for the boot sector.

3) I copied the following files to the stick from the disk using drop and drag from ROX

initrd.gz
vmlinuz
zdrv_301.sfs
isolinux.bin or similar. in one of my pups it is idlinux.sys
isolinux.cfg may be syslinux.cfg or similar
pup301-eee.sfs (or whatever yours is.

4) open leafpad and save a blank file named usbflash. copy it to the stick then change the properties to executable. Now it looks like a cog wheel.

That was all I did. when I tried the stick it booted straight up.

Hope this helps.

Oh I have one usb stick here that I can save files to and from but there is no way that I can get it to boot up puppy. It seems to have some special windows hardware or something to do with security and it just won't work. Hope you don't have one like that. Can't recall the brand.

John Lewis
crabbypup

#18 Post by crabbypup »

okay, thanks. i'll try it tonight. i don't think mine has any 'security' crap on it. but i'll see if it works. bottoms up!
crabbypup

#19 Post by crabbypup »

BTW, where can i get the EEE version of puppylinux? i haven't seen it around lately. linky?

nevermind, i found it. google is a great place!
John Lewis

#20 Post by John Lewis »

Yes,
Try this link to pupeee for the eeepc but works fine on all my boxes.

There is also another eeepc version too . This link is to the board.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=25896

Oh, in my last post: Typo Item 4 should read
open leafpad and save a blank file named usbflash. copy it to the stick then change the permissions to make it to executable. Now it looks like a cog wheel. ( or maybe a box with a tv like screen depending on your puppy version.)

John Lewis