How to edit the Xfce Menu? - Solved

Using applications, configuring, problems
lj51

How to edit the Xfce Menu? - Solved

#1 Post by lj51 »

Just upgraded my Puplet using Fat Free 3.0 and added Xfce 4.4.2a as the desktop environment. Everything works great. Need to redo the menu to make it make more sense.
How do i go about this? The menu editor only shows the categories and not what is inside of them. Also did a puppy google search. but I did not turn up anything that appeared to be useful. The default window manager is JWM btw. Any help would be greatly welcomed.
Last edited by lj51 on Sun 10 Feb 2008, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.

trapster

#2 Post by trapster »

Try:
/etc/xdg/xfce4/desktop/
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

Not sure if this still applies but in 4.2 xfce4-menueditor from a console brings up a menu editor, or /root/.config/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml.

mike

JB4x4

#4 Post by JB4x4 »

lj51,

Unfortunately, menu editing in XFCE is tedious, but possible. You will want to find the file "/etc/xdg/sfce4/desktop/xfce-registered-categories.xml" There is an example of how the file works at the top, I commented out the original menu, and at the bottom are the changes I made to support the Puppy/JWM layout.

Keep in mind XFCE is based off the XDG menu system and programs are added to menu via their respected ".desktop" file at /usr/share/applications. The menu files are just a way of organizing what XFCE finds in "applications".

JB

lj51

#5 Post by lj51 »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies and all the help. :lol:

When JB4x4 said "Keep in mind XFCE is based off the XDG menu system and programs are added to menu via their respected ".desktop" file at /usr/share/applications. The menu files are just a way of organizing what XFCE finds in "applications". "

It got me to thinking and I came up with an idea. I created a folder in my home directory, user-share-apps, and went into /user/share/applications and 'cut' the apps that I wanted out of the menu and 'pasted' them into my newly created folder. They are kept in the folder in case I ever need to restore them again,This may be a "dirty" hack, but it worked like a charm. So now the menu is neat and tidy with much less confusion.

Thanks again for all your help guys.
P750, 512 megs Ram, 30 g Hdd - Dingo 4 Barebones