Remastered EDUPUP CD lost desktop font settings

Booting, installing, newbie
Tui

Remastered EDUPUP CD lost desktop font settings

#1 Post by Tui »

I have just setup a desktop icons font type, size and colour.
and also installed more progs, but the font size and font colour
was not retained in the remastered live CD. Other changes of script
code in progs was retained. The puppy version is EDUPUP.

Please help solve if possible.

Thanks - Tui
WhoDo

Re: Remaster Puppy Live CD

#2 Post by WhoDo »

Tui wrote:I have just setup a desktop icons font type, size and colour.
and also installed more progs, but the font size and font colour
was not retained in the remastered live CD. Other changes of script
code in progs was retained. The puppy version is EDUPUP.
When using the remaster script, all "personal" settings - those in /root and its subdirectories - will be ignored UNLESS you manually copy those files to the remastered image when prompted. Desktop settings are kept in two files - /root/Choices/PuppyPin and /root/Choices/globicons - for most versions of Puppy. Some versions also had a copy of globicons in /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-filer directory.

Then there are the settings for your window manager. If it's IceWM, there are configuration files in /root/.icewm and if it's JWM then there are hidden files in /root - .jwmrc and .jwmrc-tray - as well as in /root/.jwm directory. What's more, many of your applications store settings under /root, such as /root/.mozilla for browser settings in Seamonkey and Firefox.

All of these files must be copied into the remastered image when prompted IF you want to retain those settings.

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com
Sit Heel Speak

#3 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

(deleted by SHS, see below post)
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Tue 26 Feb 2008, 03:39, edited 1 time in total.
richard.a

#4 Post by richard.a »

I've got a different problem. I thought I would try making a couple of remasters of two of my experimental "updates" for earlier hardware as described elsewhere.

I'm puzzled, because in both cases I appear to have all the correct files in the puppylivecdbuild directory, and did whatever edits were needed including substituting different (and correct) .jwmrc and .jwmrc-tray files.

In both cases it went through to burning, that phase took perhaps a second (and obviously was wrong) and the unburt CD popped out with the presumably correct popups following advising what to do next.

An examination of the CD showed there had been no burning performed on either occasion.

So where do I go from here?

This was on a computer with a DVD burner drive and a CD player drive. I put the booting CD into the DVD drive in both cases, as per the instructions.

I then tried booting it with just the pup_2xx.sfs from the backup directory it created. The startup stalled with a message:

Code: Select all

Bummer, could not run '/etc/init.d/rcS': No such file or directory
I wonder if that gives a clue?

The motherboard is an MSI with an Athlon processor, perhaps 2 years old, and two 512Mb sticks of RAM.
I might try again with a single CD drive computer and see if the same problem persists. I did have difficulties with this configuration attempting to boot the Sun OpenSolaris multiple choice live and install DVD as it kept looking at the CD drive instead of the DVD drive in that.

Any ideas would be welcomed, please.
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]
Sit Heel Speak

#5 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

richard.a wrote:...in both cases it went through to burning, that phase took perhaps a second (and obviously was wrong) and the unburnt CD popped out with the presumably correct popups following advising what to do next...An examination of the CD showed there had been no burning performed on either occasion...
Just push the CD burner's front-panel button to pull the tray back in and keep going. Sometimes the next prompt takes 30 seconds or so to appear. Yeah, that's another glitch in the remaster program.
Sit Heel Speak

#6 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

At least, that is how remaster CD works on my computer, with just a single DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW burner...not really a bug, since presumably one has the original live-CD in it to start with...the tray popping out, gives one the opportunity to insert the blank CD to be burned...

...Or, am I completely missing the point?
richard.a

#7 Post by richard.a »

Sit Heel Speak wrote:---snip-- popping out, gives one the opportunity to insert the blank CD to be burned...
...Or, am I completely missing the point?
lol, perhaps :D

In my case when it pops out it does so at the moment you would assume that burning has taken place.

The popping out to remove the original with the files needed to add to the /tmp/root (or whatever) directory structure and replace it with a burnable blank has already taken place for me, several steps earlier.

So I'm still mystified. I'll have another look, maybe today, maybe another day.

This is the first time I've thought to try this operation, not having needed to do so before. Like with the install routine, it needs a step-by-step page of instructions, replete with screencaptures and hints, like the one which I produced for ecomoney late last year. Seems that I need that ahead of producing the set of instructions, lol.

Those instructions are at http://micro-hard.homelinux.net/puppy/installing-puppy/

I'm wondering if there is a more recent version of the utility that one can download and use, but I can't find any reference to one.

I think I'll go back to my previous MO (that can only be employed with LiveCD running) and create multiple pup_save.3fs files. I was attempting to get a way to install to HDD (type 2) the various modifications needed to bring older systems up to date which because of their not being capable of running anything later than 2.12

I was puzzled that the utility did not actually create an ISO file - which I think might be just as useful as burning a new bootable CD. Creating an ISO is something I've only ever done once, in MS Windows, where I put together a number of utilities I had as a sort of Windows equivalent to the System Rescue CD and I doubt that if I could remember how I did it, that it would work with creating a Linux ISO.

So I'm still mystified about what to do next.

Richard in Adelaide.

Edit
Just seen from a menu screencap of 2.15 that it has two remaster CD options possibilities - I haven't tried Dougal's... is that the way to go, perhaps? And I wonder if I can retro-fit it to earlier Puppies.

As in is there a dotpup for it rather than a pet which don't work on earlier versions?
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]
Sit Heel Speak

#8 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

(deleted by SHS, see below post)
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Tue 26 Feb 2008, 03:40, edited 1 time in total.
Sit Heel Speak

#9 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

richard.a wrote:...So where do I go from here?...

Code: Select all

Bummer, could not run '/etc/init.d/rcS': No such file or directory
...I wonder if that gives a clue?
I succeeded in remastering 2.02CE (see Derivatives section), but it took some work. I learned that the following guidelines apply to remasters of 2-series Puppies:

1. Build the puppylivecdbuild in the same Puppy version you wish to remaster (duh--obviously).

2. You can then use Puppy 2.17 to open pup_2nn.sfs and copy its content filesystem, in entirety, into a work subdir. I found it gets confusing unless this work subdir is on another partition.

3. If the remaster does not succeed in putting the desired config file in puppylivecdbuild (and hence in the work subdir location), then reboot the liveCD of the desired-to-remaster version, make the adjustments to e.g. Rox or Seamonkey, then copy the prefs.js or Options or whatever relevant config file to a temporary holding subdir out on a disk drive.

4. Copy it in, i.e. overwrite the "wrong" version in the work subdir with the "right" version in the temporary holding subdir (I do it this way because it saves confusion, when you do it you'll understand).

5. Boot up the version you wish to remaster and use (very important) its version of mksquashfs to re-pack pup_2nn.sfs from the working subdir. It's not a bad idea to first compare the filesystem structure of the puppylivecdbuild folder with that of the working subdir, and if anything is missing from the working subdir, copy it in from puppylivecdbuild. Repeat boot-from-2.nn-liveCD, modify, copy-changed-config-files-to-holding-area, copy-these-"right"-config-files-into-working-subdir until it looks all copasetic.

6. Copy (overwrite) the pup_2nn.sfs in puppylivecdbuild with the one you just built.

7. Use mkisofs from the version you wish to remaster, to create the .iso.

8. You can use any burn program you like then, in any Puppy, to make an .iso. PBurn in Dingo works well. So does tkDVD in any 2.nn Puppy, just click "burn iso9660 image", make sure (with PMount) that the burn device is correctly named, select the source .iso, go to the second screen and select "burn speed 1" (on mine this does not limit it to 1x, but for some unknown reason does make burns more reliable), close the second screen, and back in the first screen click "burn".

tkDVD works even in Puppy 2.02CE.

Trying to speed things up by using mksquashfs in Puppy 2.17 when the remaster target was 2.02CE, resulted in the liveCD giving me that same "Bummer, could not run '/etc/init.d/rcS': No such file or directory" error message and hang at boot time, as you saw. I guess the version of mksquashfs used in 2.17 produces squashfiles which the 2.02 kernel cannot unpack and mount.

HTH, SHS
leehanken

lost all personal settings

#10 Post by leehanken »

Hi, I had a similar problem, I'm running puppy from a memory stick, and it keeps any modifications to the filesystem in a file, which it loads at boot and saves at shutdown. When I booted up the other day a lot of my personal settings had disappeared, including desktop wallpaper, icons, subscribed newsgroups for SeaMonkey, security files for SeaMonkey without which it will not use SSL. My guess is something happened to the /root/ folder, but I am puzzled.
Sit Heel Speak

Re: lost all personal settings

#11 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

leehanken wrote:Hi, I had a similar problem...When I booted up the other day a lot of my personal settings had disappeared...My guess is something happened to the /root/ folder, but I am puzzled.
A sleuth would require more information, e.g. Which version of Puppy? How are you booting (e.g. Grub in the MBR on harddisk? WakePup2 floppy? Native USB stick boot using ISOLINUX, SYSLINUX, LILO, or...? Which version of everything? Are there any other savefiles on the system?)? Is the savefile on the USB stick, or somewhere else?
XIONG1

#12 Post by XIONG1 »

Hello to everyone.I'm new to this forum .I heard goods things about it..
leehanken

#13 Post by leehanken »

Using Linux puppypc 2.6.18.1
Booting using SYSLINUX
Savefile is on stick (there are no other storage devices on this PC)

I just want to know how to restore the security component for web browsing, as both SeaMonkey and Firefox both complain it is missing. Are there certain files (encryption keys) that should be in the user home directory?