Intel's D201GLY and Puppy - will they be a good match?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
iscraigh

#41 Post by iscraigh »

came accross this on the imedia site

http://www.imedialinux.com/latest_news/ ... tion_fixed

Thanks to Chayou Chen from SiS we have a new driver for Intel D201GLY which works with high resolutions and also provides 2D and XVMC (in testing) acceleration. This will be included in the next release.

Can't find the drivers but it gives hope

Craig
slvrldy17

#42 Post by slvrldy17 »

Craig,

Interesting post and link - hopefully the driver itself will be available for download in the future - let us know if you find/hear anything on it. I'm still working with Xvesa for the little time I've had to experiment with the setup so far. MU's driver from SUSE is on the list to try as soon as time permits.
Always give without remembering - always receive without forgetting.
Alice
iscraigh

#43 Post by iscraigh »

The suse driver works good but not for video, I am trying to combine my puppy with a myth frontend.

Craig
tempestuous

#44 Post by tempestuous »

slvrldy17 wrote:MU's driver from SUSE is on the list to try as soon as time permits.
The SuSE Xorg driver that MU referred to is the same one that I packaged and made available earlier in this thread -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 277#154277
http://www.bexa.org/pup/tempestuous/sis ... use.tar.gz
Note that I also suggested trying the Thomas Winischhofer "enhanced" SiS drivers.
iscraigh wrote:The suse driver works good but not for video
This may be the fault of the media player application, not necessarily the Xorg driver.
I suggest you install MPlayer
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=13216
and make sure that the "xv" video output option is selected in Preferences.
iscraigh wrote:I am trying to combine my puppy with a myth frontend.
MPlayer is the perfect backend application for MythTV.
iscraigh

#45 Post by iscraigh »

Not so much myth will use mplayer/xine/vlc for videos but not for tv, it uses the internal player which just does not like the driver @ all. I can only get TV in in a small window.

Craig
mano_negra

D201 works fine

#46 Post by mano_negra »

this mother is amazing to deploy graphic terminals on administrative installations.
works very fine with 256Mb RAM , booting from USB drive.
actually im working on a kiosk version , for public admnistrative purposes, that are read only and preconfigured to use NFS in order to
save the work. obviosly , the main trouble is the localization.
but referred to the D201 , works without amy problems.
raffy

NFS

#47 Post by raffy »

Welcome to the Forum, Hugo. I've seen your other post about language for 3.01, and you were already welcomed there by a number of members.

Am very much interested in NFS implementation (but don't know how to do it), and would like to help you introduce this feature to Puppy Linux.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].
iscraigh

#48 Post by iscraigh »

I run knoppmyth and used an included script to set up a diskless front end using nfsroot. It would be interesting if i could set up another to use puppy. The interesting things about this way of doing it is that you do not need to disable dhcp on your router. The dhcp server running on my myth box (after a small change) ignores dhcp requests and only answers boottp requests. I have not yet tried playing with it yet to see if I could get it to serve out the ouppy files instead.

Craig
slvrldy17

#49 Post by slvrldy17 »

Finally had the time to work some more with the Intel D201GLY and Puppy 3.01 NOPr1 - Tried installing MU's Unrpm44.pup package - no noticeable change in the quality of the image in Xorg - Its usable but not good - Xvesa is much better in terms of image quality. So for the time being I'll stick with that. Also tried the "enhanced" driver that Tempestuous posted about - result was Xorg completely crashed - had a black screen and cursor only - ended up rebooting in RAM only and then deleting the driver to get things back to normal. At this point if you are willing to settle for using Xvesa it is a workable deal - Xorg needs some more work. Next time the schedule permits I might try tweaking some settings in Xorg to see if that helps - anyone have some suggestions on what might work? Also am downloading 3.01NOPr3 to try maybe later today.
Alice
Babba

M1-ATX

#50 Post by Babba »

Hi Tony!

In case you haven't figured out the cause of your troubles yet, here is the answer:
http://www.imedialinux.com/intel-d201gl ... mance.html
"This system can be powered by the picoPSU-90 with a 60watt AC adapter . For applications where input voltage cannot be a regulated 12V source (example: car batteries, automotive applications), the M2-ATX Automotive power supply will be a good candidate. NOTE: Do not use M1-ATX as the D201GLY draws V(core) power from the 12V rail, therefore the M1-ATX might not work well despite the fact that it is a 90watt PSU."

So the M1-ATX has generally not enough oompf on the 12V rail - picoPSU rules anyway 8)

Guido
slvrldy17

Further fiddling with Puppy 3.01NOP and the D201GLY

#51 Post by slvrldy17 »

Finally with the holidays past and some more time to work with the D201GLY based box I can report that Xorg is now working well - the problems I was having with Xorg came down to a matter of getting the proper refresh rate set for the LCD monitor that I use - the default refresh rate of 75hz was way to high. With the rate set to the minimum setting of approx. 56hz the distortion problems disappear and Xorg is fully usable running Puppy 3.01NOPr3 - no additional drivers needed.

Also considerably reworked the setup - moved the D201GLY to a Morex 5677 case with a 60W power supply and it is set up to boot from a 4GB Sandisk UltraII compact flash card connected to IDE- no hard drive in this one! This one looks like a winner - no further changes are likely for the immediate future beyond installing some applications. As it is set up it's not quite as quiet as a fanless rig but very nearly so - the mini fans on the Morex case are very quiet. Looks like I've finally got my dedicated Puppy box!
Alice
veronicathecow

#52 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi Babba thanks for info. Since my post I've got a larget power brick and also a new 16x DVD SATA writer and all seems well. I had to botch on the extra SATA power and also the processor 12V fly lead but so far so good. I havn't looked at video drivers any more as at the moment it is working okay (If it ain't broke don't fix it!)
Many thanks
Tony
iscraigh

#53 Post by iscraigh »

intel now has a driver posted in the support section it appears to work well.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ ... *&lang=eng

I will post in the other thread only because it is so important.

If any one knows how to get Barry to add this please do.

Craig
slvrldy17

Thanks

#54 Post by slvrldy17 »

Thank you Craig - While I don't currently need them I downloaded and filed them away against future need.
Alice
magerlab

#55 Post by magerlab »

that's fine!
i'm just thinking to make a mini- Itx computer with this motherboard
but i saw that Sis chipset do not work fine with linux
are there special drvers for Sis?
tempestuous

#56 Post by tempestuous »

magerlab wrote:are there special drvers for Sis?
Yes. That's already been answered throughout this thread.
Possible versions of Xorg drivers are:
- SuSE rpm package
- Thomas Winischhofer driver
- Intel supplied driver
rover

d201gly2 needs 2.6.24 ???

#57 Post by rover »

I have spent a huge amount of time to try to get puppy running on my d201gly2 intel computer.
The only success I have had, is with Puppy 3.96 seamonkey.iso alpha 6 running
kernel 2.6.24

Will not run:
Puppy 400 alpha 7 –397-k2.6.21.7 seamonkey.iso
Puppy 3.02alpha3_Chihuahua-firefox.iso (2.6.21.7)
Teenpup 2008
Gamepup 2.16

I have reported bug reports to indicate that the alpha series would not run on this motherboard, but I now believe that there is just something about this motherboard and any kernel below 2.6.24.

The problems with all other versions on the d201gly2, is that even though the Ethernet network shows as sis900 module loaded, and my network is seen, it is unable to configure the network.

The next problem is that even though the usb modules are shown to be loaded, my usb dongle does not show up to be mounted.

I have come to the conclusion that it is something in the kernel version, since I am unable to run puppy 4 alpha 7 and I believe that that version uses a 2.6.21.7 version also.

The only thing I can run with this motherboard is the 2.6.24 alpha 6.

To me, this is a real hair puller outer, and my solution is to just wait for the next version that will use the kernel I can use.

Any other ideas????
is there some way i can load the modules or is this something that needs to be built into a kernel?

In closing, I would like to say that on my Toshiba m45 laptop, all mentioned versions work great. There is nothing better in the world than a good running puppy!
tia,
bk
geoff.l

it works fine for me

#58 Post by geoff.l »

The d201gly2 works fine for me with either puppy 2.17 or 3.01

I ended up falling back to 2.17 but only because I couldn't get my touchscreen working on 3.01. The touchscreen is a pretty esoteric requirement, without that I'd be happy with 3.01 on this board. I havn't tried any other release.

Mine runs from an IDE attached CF, but I've booted from CDROM, real HDD, and USB memory sticks, they all work fine.

A couple of vital comments tho'. You must specify acpi=noirq (or acpi=off) at boot time or the USB and LAN won't work. Also the supplied device driver for the SIS video chip is rubbish.

If you tweak both of these then puppy will work like a dream

I just stuck a couple of posts in another thread with the details on the video driver. Refer:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 900#187900
rover

d201ghy2 working with 3.02 and acpi=off

#59 Post by rover »

geoff.l

wow. this is like a new life!

thanks a million. i never would have thought of trying that. do not even know what acpi is but that will be my next study when i can get at it.

real curious,though.
why does this motherboard work perfectly with the 2.6.24 kernel in dingo alpha 6 before things went back to the 2.6.18? kernel. or haven't you had the same experience?

now,everything works when booted. usb,and is connected to my ethernet network and is connected to the internet when booted.
can't believe what a difference in feelings from complete despair to happy in 10 seconds when something works. anyway, thanks again.
Toshiba Satellite S 50-A, intel i7,8G ram, Intel wireless N 7260 card. Nvidia GeForce GT 740M Video.