Can't get Canon Pixma IP4200 printer to work **SOLVED**

Booting, installing, newbie
gamfa

#61 Post by gamfa »

pakt...been bouncing the mention you made about making the cups.pup installation more selective. In the long run it might confuse more than help. Probably most users really don't know what they need other that "the printer has to work". I knew what I needed from working with cups and my i560 drivers and it was a rather simple modification to add 6 #'s to the installation script. Maybe the KISS method is still the best approach.
"Don't tell my cattle that I have leather seats in my truck"

"I don't let my schooling get in the way of my education"...Mark Twain
gamfa

#62 Post by gamfa »

Hi gary, there are no ink tanks in the status monitor window. It just says "Ready". No reaction with the lid up either. I tried without paper loaded and it did not spot that either.
Then something is not right then. Does the printer make any sound like the heads positioning or does a light blink? Do you at least get a print? Any messages in the terminal window?

msumner

#63 Post by msumner »

The printer goes through all the usual motions and then it prints ok. no msgs in terminal. Mike
gamfa

#64 Post by gamfa »

OK..lets try a couple (or more) things..
using the same methods below
Open a terminal..
key in "cngpijmon &" <ret>
then key in "cngpij .bashrc" <ret>
When you have the the status moniitor and the settings GUI's open...in the Settings GUI..
go to "Maintanence>Nozzle Check>" and run a nozzle check pattern....do you get the pattern?

Then "Maintanence>Power Off"..can you power down the printer?

Then go back to the "Main". As you see there are 4 resolution settings. I would like you to issue a print with "High" in the "Print Quality" and try to pay close attention to the speed at which the print is made.
Then go through the process again and issue the print with "Standard" print quality and again with "Fast" print quality. Hopefully you can preceve a distinct difference in the speed of each print (high the slowest, fast should shoot that pup out) and the quality of each of the three prints.

Let me know please...

pakt

#65 Post by pakt »

gamfa wrote:pakt...been bouncing the mention you made about making the cups.pup installation more selective. In the long run it might confuse more than help. Probably most users really don't know what they need other that "the printer has to work". I knew what I needed from working with cups and my i560 drivers and it was a rather simple modification to add 6 #'s to the installation script. Maybe the KISS method is still the best approach.
I originally made the CUPS dotpup after following long threads with Puppy users struggling to use rarsa's excellent instructions and his three CUPS installation scripts.

I decided then that the KISS principle was the most practical solution and created a simple dotpup containing one general script (which also checked for the correct perl files - some versions of Puppy had missing perl modules) even if some users ended up with unused files. In hindsight, this was the best approach.

Most posts since the introduction of the dotpup have been concerned with printers like Mike's, where it isn't listed or the .ppd for it isn't easily available.

Pity that some printer drivers only come as rpms, but in this way the printer manufacturers are actually also following the KISS principle - providing you're using one of the distros that use rpm packaging :roll:

I suppose that if one *really* wanted to, it would be possible to create a more or less general 'wrapper' script that would take printer rpms and install them in Puppy. The extra bloat would be offset by the ease of installation.

Paul
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux
msumner

#66 Post by msumner »

Hi Guys, been out all day, just got back. Tried what you suggested gary. The good news is that the nozzle check works. Power down works. after that, nothing when I switched back on so reboot and in the status monitor window it shows as "unknown printer". :?

This is from the cups page, "canon1" is what I called the printer:

canon1 Canon iP4200 Ver.2.60
Description:
"Unable to open USB device "usb://Canon/iP4200": No such device"
Device URI: usb://Canon/iP4200

The printer lights showed it to be in a ready state.
I will delete it and re-install. Then I will run through all the actions in the maint. etc. windows and report back what works?
Cheers, Mike
kinjeng

install canon iP1880

#67 Post by kinjeng »

how to install canon iP1880 on firehydrant 3.0 ?

i allready read all treathment above and its not work
can someone guide me?

thx all
muggins

#68 Post by muggins »

kinjeng,

this link, on openprinting.org, says it works perfectly with the "xes" driver, (which is apparently included in ghostscript).

http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cg ... xma_ip1880

But a quick google shows that canon does have a linux driver available, in the form of 2 .rpms:

cnijfilter-common-2.70-1.i386.rpm
cnijfilter-ip1800series-2.70-1.i386.rpm

What I've done is converted these to a .pet package & uploaded this here(1.6Mbytes):

http://rapidshare.com/files/96321539/ip ... 6.pet.html

Then you need to do is download & install this, then see if you have the required library file, /usr/lib/libxml.so.1.

ls /usr/lib/libxml*

On pup2.16, this file doesn't exist, so I got around this by symlinking:

ln -s /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2 /usr/lib/libxml.so.1

Lastly, you need to follow the final steps outlined in this thread:

http://ibr94.blogspot.com/2007/08/canon ... buntu.html

First, if your pupversion doesn't come with cups, you need to install this. Then, open up a browser & go to http://localhost:631/

Then do:
Turn on the printer and connect the USB to the printer.
Open the printing from System->Administration->Printing
Double click the new printer
Select Printer Type " Local or Detected Printer"
Select a Detected Printer : Canon iP1800 series ......
Then go to the next page
I can't find the iP1800 on the list, so I select the "Install Driver" button and point to
/usr/share/cups/model
and select canonip1800.ppd
Go to the next page and press the apply button.
You will see on the Printers window, there will be iP1800 icon on it. You can make it default printer by right click and select "Make Default"
This part, voila, you are ready to print!
kinjeng

#69 Post by kinjeng »

Thx muggins, its work now!

now, how to seting a printer option? coz there limited option in cups,
and when i try to key in
" cngijp1800 & " it show but it can't save
the message is
lpr : error unable to accses "printer_name" : no such file or direktory

what it's mean?
muggins

#70 Post by muggins »

Hello kinjeng,

You might need to download the 1880 Printer Driver guide & FAQ. These are available from these 2 locations:

http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/conten ... 19601.html
http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/conten ... 19505.html

Just go down the bottom, of the two pages, & tick Download.