grub's being retard and hangs and gives error on ke (SOLVED)

Using applications, configuring, problems
Runemaster

grub's being retard and hangs and gives error on ke (SOLVED)

#1 Post by Runemaster »

ok on menu.lst
ive got

title Puppy Linux 3.01
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0) /vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 pmedia=idehd
initrd (hd0,0) /initrd.gz
boot

ok i don't know what the fudge i'm doing wrong. At the kernel line it hangs and says " it needs to be an absolute filepath" and it is and i even tried /boot/vmlinuz and samething. its is a 30gig ide western digital i believe. I even tried....

find kernel /vmlinuz
(hd0,0)

and it says vmlinuz needs to be loaded before initrd can and vmlinuz is in both / and /boot, i sit there and stare at it and say why wont you boot.

any suggestions??????
Last edited by Runemaster on Thu 06 Mar 2008, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
Adventurer: I seek knowledge and strength.

Seer:Knowledge comes from experience.....Strength comes from battleaxes.

alienjeff

#2 Post by alienjeff »

Try removing the space between ")" and "/" on both the kernel and initrd lines. Save, pray, reboot, report back here.

Some versions of Puppy prefer "IDEHD" instead of "idehd"
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

JustGreg

#3 Post by JustGreg »

This works for me on my hard drive for puppy 3.01 full installation and a frugal installation. I think from your menu.lst You are trying to boot a frugal installation. It is different than yours.

Code: Select all

# Linux bootable partition (hd0,1) config begins, full install
  title Linux 3.01 (on /dev/hda2 or hd0,1)
  root (hd0,1)
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro vga=normal
# Linux bootable partition config ends

# Linux bootable (hd0,3) partition config begins frugal install
  title Puppy 3.01  Frugal (on /dev/hda4 or hd0,3)
  root (hd0,3)
  kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda4 ro vga=normal pmedia=idehd
  initrd /initrd.gz
# Linux bootable partition config ends
I know that rootnoverify is the usual command, but, I have tried the plain root command and it does work on hard drives. I suggest you try both rootnoverify and root. Which ever works first, then keep. I as think the parameter root=/dev/ram may also be part of the problem.

Did you use the "grub configuration wizard" to set up grub? It is under the menu system item as "grub boot loader config". I normally use it to set up grub. As long as the device partitions configuration is not to out of the ordinary, it has work for me. I hope this helps you.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

Runemaster

#4 Post by Runemaster »

ok solved it. jeff, i killed the spaces and all caps'd the idehd and it booted like a charm although i wanted to see which one actually did the trick and it was the spaces. but questions still remain so stick around.

1. if the pc im going to be using it in gives me shutdown problems then i can use the command "acpi=force" and if so what line do i stick it in.

2. how can i get grub to automatically choose puppy so i dont have to stay there and wait on the boot process only to choose the only OS on the menu.

alienjeff

#5 Post by alienjeff »

Runemaster wrote:ok solved it.
Excellent!
1. if the pc im going to be using it in gives me shutdown problems then i can use the command "acpi=force" and if so what line do i stick it in.
Try either:

acpi=off
acpi=on
acpi=force

One of 'em ought to do the trick for you. However, if this is a laptop you're using this on, be mindful of how hot the lappy gets and whether the fan seems to be stuck "on."
2. how can i get grub to automatically choose puppy so i dont have to stay there and wait on the boot process only to choose the only OS on the menu.
Easy. In menu.lst, change:

#timeout 30
to
timeout 5

That will autoboot your default OS if no there is no keyboard input after 5 seconds. I advise keeping the 5 second delay in case you want to hot-edit menu.lst.

Have fun.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

jamesbond

#6 Post by jamesbond »

put the acpi=force (or the other variation as suggested by jeff) on the kernel line.

Code: Select all

kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 pmedia=idehd acpi=force
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Runemaster

#7 Post by Runemaster »

ok the machine that i put the puppy hdd in didnt give me any acpi problems and i figured out what you were talking about. just let it sit there and time out for 5 seconds and whatever is highlighted will be booted. ok thanks guys!!!!