3.01: no sound & desktop too big for screen [SOLVED]

Booting, installing, newbie
puppyluv

3.01: no sound & desktop too big for screen [SOLVED]

#1 Post by puppyluv »

OK, got Puppy installed (3.01 with seamonkey). Went pretty smooth except for a few glitches in the grub but that was because of Ubuntu (have had this happen before - once I found gparted everything was smooth sailing).

Installed IceWin (WOW!). :D

I'm haven't gone through the CUPS-printing wizard yet as the network where I work is majority windblowz, so I'll worry with that later.

Anyway, the main two issues I'm having at the moment is sound and screen resolution.

Starting with sound, here's the output from when I start the ALSA sound wizard:

ca0106 05:02.0 Class 0401: 1102:0007
legacy Probe legacy ISA (non-PnP) chips
usb-audio USB Sound Device
aoa Apple Onboard Audio Driver (never even heard of this until today)

My sound card is Soundblaster 16 and Pro (it shows a listing of both these names)

I have gone through each of the above and still don't seem to have sound. I've upped the volume in various applications and sound prefs (my speakers are also plugged in, on and volume up). Before attempting to make some changes, I could open an mp3 file in Gxine and it shows that it's playing but there's no sound. If you need more info on the above please let me know.

Now for the screen resolution. I'm using 1024x768. I have an HP w1907 flat panel, and am used to using 1400 x 900 but 1024x768 is ok, however, the top bar of some applications is cut off not showing the "minimize", "maximize" and "close" buttons. Since I'm new to the latest version of Puppy (I only messed around with one of the initial releases a while back). If you need additional info please let me know.

Thanks in advance. If I can get these two things working, I do believe I have found my home with Puppy.
Last edited by puppyluv on Sat 22 Mar 2008, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]"Whatever is subject to origination is all subject to cessation." - [i]Kutthi Sutta[/i].

[color=darkblue]Dell PowerEdge SC430 Server | 2Gb RAM | Pentium 4 | SATA | Puppy 4.2[/color][/size]
puppyluv

#2 Post by puppyluv »

Got the screen resolution fixed the way I want it by re-running xorg video in Setup / Xorg Video Wizard.
[size=75]"Whatever is subject to origination is all subject to cessation." - [i]Kutthi Sutta[/i].

[color=darkblue]Dell PowerEdge SC430 Server | 2Gb RAM | Pentium 4 | SATA | Puppy 4.2[/color][/size]
Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

When apps are positioned like that, you can move them easily by holding [alt] and dragging with the left mouse button anyplace in the window.

You might have already done this, but if you haven't, run alsamixer and make sure that the volumes are unmuted in addition to be turned up. If they're muted, the box at the bottom of the slider will show 'mm' instead of '91' or whatever percentage it's set at. Pressing the 'm' key toggles this.

I recommend using alsamixer as opposed to other mixers because it shows all of the sliders. On my system, some other mixers don't show the "side" slider, which is what my rear speakers are plugged into. Some mixers don't even show the "front" slider. I also have to have the "pcm" slider up for most apps (which is nice, because then I can just move that rather than both front and side).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]
puppyluv

#4 Post by puppyluv »

YAY!!!! Thank you. That works. :D :D :D
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#5 Post by Béèm »

It is very well appreciated if you indicate your problem is solved.
Go to your first post and choose edit.
Add [SOLVED] at the end of the subject line and submit the modified post.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch