How to Download to Desktop?

Booting, installing, newbie
DLWood

How to Download to Desktop?

#1 Post by DLWood »

Okay, I had two questions:

1. How to establish a "Desktop Icon" shortcut, and
2. How to download an internet file to the Desktop

I think I managed to answer the first question by searching........ just open ROX and drag the file to the desktop. I assume this creates a link, and does not copy the whole file.

I've searched on everything I can think of, but I haven't found the answer to the second question. When you download a file, it asks where you want to save it..... easy enough to save in "/root/my-documents", but where is the desktop in Puppy? In other Linux distros, it's in ~user/home/desktop.

I have a frugal install of Puppy 2.17 on hda4, with several other Linus OSs on hda.

thanks.

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

In Puppy, the desktop isn't an actual location like it is in Windows and other ditsros. Instead, it's a text file (/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin) which stores the location, command, and caption for each icon.

So you have to just download to a normal location and drag to the desktop to make an icon.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

DLWood

Thanks!

#3 Post by DLWood »

Thanks a bunch Pizzasgood, that helped my understanding considerably. :D

MU

#4 Post by MU »

Another way:
If you create a folder /root/Desktop , it is used by applications like Firefox and KDE in fresh installs.
To have quick access to it in Rox-Filer, drag it on Puppys desktop.
Then you can click on that folder, to see downloaded files for example.
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

DLWood

#5 Post by DLWood »

MU wrote:Another way:
If you create a folder /root/Desktop , it is used by applications like Firefox and KDE in fresh installs.
To have quick access to it in Rox-Filer, drag it on Puppys desktop.
Then you can click on that folder, to see downloaded files for example.
Mark
After reading Pizzasgood's info, this crossed my mind and I wondered if it would work, but didn't try it. Thanks MU for verifying it.