Anybody tried Puppy on the HP MiniNote 2133?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
mdd

Anybody tried Puppy on the HP MiniNote 2133?

#1 Post by mdd »

Has anybody tried Puppy on the HP MiniNote 2133? I installed 3.01 on it (on a 16GB ExpressCard SSD). It boots fine, but can't find the hard drive. Also, the wifi card seems to be recognized, but can't connect.

This laptop is HP's eee competitor, and has several design advantages over the eee (great keyboard, 9" screen, bluetooth, etc.). It would be a great Puppy machine, if everything worked.

--MDD
tinker

#2 Post by tinker »

I'm really thinking about one of these. There's one for US$549 at HP with 1GB memory, 120GB hd and Suse linux.

I would be concerned about the wireless. My own Toshiba Satellite has been a bear in terms of getting the wireless to work in Puppy and I wouldn't want to set myself up for that much difficulty again.
eob

#3 Post by eob »

Mine arrives Monday. Would be a fantastic machine to release a Puppy edition for, wouldn't be long about cornering the market as the OS of choice for that device. And I think the Mini-Note is going to sell like hot cakes. It really is an awesome device.
nickd

#4 Post by nickd »

And I think the Mini-Note is going to sell like hot cakes
I'm not so sure. It's still a bit of a geek toy, and these people are going to be put off by the Via C7-M processor when they can get the Atom in the other machines.
Here's a review from PC Pro (in the UK):http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/201324/h ... =mini+note
Replace the decrepit VIA processor with one of Intel's forthcoming Atom chips or, dare we say it, add a Windows XP version to the lineup and, for many people, the 2133 would have little trouble in deposing the Eee from its pearly white throne
Unfortunately I think that's the truth.

It kills me, as there's nothing out there (yet) to touch the HP chassis.

Perhaps Dell will sort it out this week?
Tigger1

#5 Post by Tigger1 »

As a past owner of the mini-note I can say that Puppy will run perfect on the mini-note.I'm what some would call a crosser,My small home office has both windows,and puppy installed on our computers (21) total. The mini-note uses puppy 3.98 as it was the only version that saw the hard drive as for the wireless,well it just wont work with puppy at all.The wifi card installed in the mini is a poor choice and the drivers (bcm43xx and bcm43) have trouble or cant work with the firmware in the HP. So we used an external linksys usb to get wifi.39.00 us saves us hours of trouble.We even had 3g set up on the mini with puppy with no problems that was a amazing.(Sierra wireless air card 875 was used.Puppy 3.98and 4.01 have been and are the distro versions that we use.So far it has worked damn near perfect on all netbooks including,Everex cloudjunk,EEEpc 701-901,hp mini-note and now it works perfect on our MSI-Wind U-100s.It takes some work to get the puppy trained but the forums have the answers,dont give up on Puppy.
Summers

4.1works great...

#6 Post by Summers »

Howdy folks - I just wanted to let folks know that my experience has been great with running Puppy 4.1 on my new hp 2133...I'm typing this on it using my home wireless LAN. I picked up a SUSE linux version of the HP on ebay for a bargain (with a 120gb HD vs. the SSD), and so far I'm very happy with it.

I'm a complete linux noob, but what can I say, essentially everything just works using Puppy 4.1, including sound and wireless...the very things that people spend days setting up when using Ubuntu. Right now I don't think suspend works properly, and I haven't tested the webcam, but I'm very pleased with this little puppy currently. Boots in 30 seconds...

HP 2133 owners should RUN, not walk, to Puppy 4.1... 8)
cthisbear

#7 Post by cthisbear »

Summers:

Good on you and welcome to Puppy.

" HP 2133 owners should RUN, not walk, to Puppy 4.1... 8)"

I have a job lined up putting XP on a Vista laptop from HP. ..
DV5 1007TX?

Oh! Dear...
I have already spent hours reading forums, downloading
and burning discs, printing etc.
But amongst all that sadness I will be fearless and either
put on my cheat frugal of 4.1.1 or Minisys Muppy 08 as
well as XP.

Ah! that thought makes me feel better already.

Chris.
mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/HP2133

very useful link ^^.

Working well with puppy 4.12 full install and also worked from sd card but frugal to hard drive would not boot even in sata compatability mode.

Gradually working through hardware features...wifi ok but fails on local ie fast connections so will try the driver from broadcom soon.
Have chrome9 driver from suse/via working give correct resolution and xvideo though with gxine display is too bright..ok with vlc. xgamma had no effect though may need backlight control sorting out. Waiting to test a web cam driver found on this forum too.

If a crash occurs...(eg flat battery cause charger was not plugged in oops)
then booting stalls at usb detection and gives prompt...typing reboot and return seems to sort it out but sometimes sound is lost and have to run alsa wizard again. Also seems alsa 1.1.17 is needed to sort out the headphone socket not muting the speakers.

Overall looking good so far...get about 2 hours battery life under general usage...browsing/documents...the original suse setup was just too sludgy.

regards

mike
mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

Update...

the via chrome driver is too buggy...gxine plays too bright...vlc better but often a green line at the bottom but worse still if 2 instances of a video player are opened then total freeze occurs....reverted to xorg vesa driver which is default for puppy 4.12. The backlight can still be controlled from the function keys.

Although wireless works out of the box disconnection can occur under large lan file transfer and randomly. The broadcom driver pet gives rock solid performance ... wep only it seems.

Webcam works using videoview...drivers loaded automatically.

mike
JohnB

Webcam & Microphone

#10 Post by JohnB »

Just treated myself to one of these with hard disk and SLED10. By luck coincided with Puppy 4.2 so since the SLED OS is useless I loaded Puppy.
Worked a dream as you would expect faster and better.
However two snags I haven't resolved (they existed in SLED) getting the webcam and microphone to work.

For the webcam the machine has identified the webcam as an USB Interface and I have downloaded XawTV which fires up but does not seem to be able to find the camera. It gives a message:
open(/dev/dsp) No such file or directory
3 lines of complaint that it cannot find things then
can't grabdisplay.
I think I must be close to getting it to work. How can I bring my cam and viewer closer together?

As for the microphone; cannot get any sign of life on either the built in or external microphone. The playback on the speakers in ALSA is very good but no feed in. I have been having the same problem on my desktop running Puppy 3.1, 4.1, etc. Thought it might be my sound card but no improvement when I replaced it. Any suggestions to solve this, I want to record my banjo playing on the Mini Note and become a noise hazard throughout the land!javascript:emoticon(':lol:')

I know from searches on the Web that these problems on the 2133 exist on lots of other distros but we have come to expect miracles with Puppy.javascript:emoticon('8)')
Believe in the Kiss principle "Keep it Simple Stupid"
JB
mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

Check the uvcvideo (and related) module is loaded and grab a copy of videoview
http://www.linux-projects.org/modules/m ... .php?cid=5

The wrong driver is loaded for audio...alsa 1.1.17+ is needed to solve that one....

mike
JohnB

Webcam & Microphone

#12 Post by JohnB »

Thanks Mikeb. When I tried to download Videoview before it didn't send anything. Worked fine this time. It is really a nice application and the webcam is suprisingly good.

Now need to crack the microphone. It is hard miming banjo.

I take it that the ALSA in Puppy 4.2 is not a late enough version. Any advice as to how to upgrade? Is it just a matter of loading some drivers? If not any chance of a PET? My capability to compile things is highly suspect.

If these issues can be solved promises to be a serious Puppy machine.
JB
mikeb

#13 Post by mikeb »

I take it that the ALSA in Puppy 4.2 is not a late enough version. Any advice as to how to upgrade? Is it just a matter of loading some drivers? If not any chance of a PET? My capability to compile things is highly suspect.
I have popped the odd hint around and wait patiently. Alsa is currently at 1.1.19 but compiling kernel modules is not my strong point...it's the hda one that central to this and other recent sound cards
If these issues can be solved promises to be a serious Puppy machine.
yes I decided to by this one off the lodger :)

mike
mikeb

#14 Post by mikeb »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 132#330132
alsa 1.0.20 yay...now have headphone socket cutting off speakers and working internal and external mics

mike
JohnB

Miming Banjos

#15 Post by JohnB »

Great following in your tracks mikeb. Got the HP2133 working in most ways with Puppy 4.2 it is a nice Puppy box and might now try Skype on it. Was looking for a simple recorder to use on it, thought that Lobster had produced something but had trouble finding it as a PET any recommendations for a simple and small recorder?
JB
mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

Attached something that might be simple enough...newer alsa needed of course

mike
Attachments
simple_recorder.tar.gz
(1.1 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
JohnB

Recorder

#17 Post by JohnB »

Thanks Mike big and fat it is not but does the trick quite adequately. First banjo music has been recorded. Might not get an immediate call from the Philharmonic orchestra but I like it.
JB
mikeb

#18 Post by mikeb »

Might not get an immediate call from the Philharmonic orchestra
yer never know :)

mike