Dingo4 hdd install doesn't recognize USB mouse, wifi SOLVED

Booting, installing, newbie
harryh

Dingo4 hdd install doesn't recognize USB mouse, wifi SOLVED

#1 Post by harryh »

Hi guys!

My own personal project "Moving from W to L" is going pretty well but sometimes there popup minor problems like this:
I downloaded Puppy4 (k2.6.21.7) some days ago and did a full hdd install because the live-cd worked perfectly. But surprise, surprise when rebooted, Dingo didn’t accept the rt73 module that the wifi USB-dongle (Cnet CWD-854) normally uses and nor didn't it recognize the PS2/ USB-mouse (Microsoft).
Can someone explain this? Why can the live-cd recognize the drivers but the installed OS doesn’t?
I have run the Dingo4 live-cd in two different computers and it’s working fine in both of them. The md5sum is verified and OK.

The full installation is on a Compaq Presario 1685 laptop with 380MHz AMD-K6 3D CPU, 192Mb RAM and 5Gb ext2 partition + 500Mb separate swap on the 40Gb hdd. There is also Puppy 2.16 on the same hdd but on an other ext2 partition with is working perfect for my needs. In fact it’s the only of v2-v3 and v4 distros I have tried on this choosy machine that works flawlessly.

It’s no panic here, I have two working systems – 2.16 on the laptop and 3.01 on my main machine – but I am a little bit curious.
I will try to install the v4 on the main machine (with WinXP on it) but first I must check if there are differences in the installing process between v4 and v3.01. The v3.01 I installed successfully strictly according to the “Lin’N’Win
Last edited by harryh on Thu 15 May 2008, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

When you make a full install, (which by the way I prefer), Puppy doesn't load the contents of zdrv_400.sfs like it does from the CD. Maybe the drivers you need are in there, and you will have to merge the contents of it to Puppy manually.

Another possibility is not all the file contents got copied in the install. This has happened before.
harryh

#3 Post by harryh »

Thx Bruce B for the hint.
I try it.

Harryh :D
harryh

Success

#4 Post by harryh »

Hi guys! :D

Wow, it (Dingo4) works on my laptop.
I “played with the files until I mess it up totally so I wiped out the hole partition and build a new one with Gparted, installed ones again and did a new Grub, rebooted and VOILA – it’s working.
Exactly what went wrong the first time I don’t know for sure, but I think it was Grub because when I added “pmedia=idehd