Install Puppy 4.0 from Live CD

Booting, installing, newbie
PaoloVIP

Install Puppy 4.0 from Live CD

#1 Post by PaoloVIP »

Hello to all, I,m new from puppy and i want to try to install it. The live cd has recognized all the hardware of my old Presario 1200, But I have a problem. My monitor resolution is (natively) 800x600 and it works well. But wen i go to Install icon and then click on PETget package manager I can't see all the window, so I don't see the Install button or ok button. I can see only Cancel button, there are no scroll bars. Is there a keyboard shortcut to start install, or can I do it from terminal ?

Thank you in advance

harryh

#2 Post by harryh »

Hi PaoloVIP

You don't need an "install button", only click the package name and the install begins.

Harryh

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

harryh wrote:Hi PaoloVIP

You don't need an "install button", only click the package name and the install begins.

Harryh
Harry, not using 800x600 I can't say if you are right or wrong. My thoughts prior to reading your post was that inststalling a package requires a series of dialogs which require user interaction.

Using a 640x480 should drive a Puppy user insane, this might not be a problem because a 640x480 user could alread by insane.

Pizzagood knows how to manage (reclocate) dialogs that go off screen, this much I remember, but I don't remember his advice.

Presuming PaoloVIP has a legitimate problem and I do. He could post a screen pic for validation He could also change resolution to 1024x768 and side step the problem during installs.

Bruce

harryh

#4 Post by harryh »

Hi Bruce B

Maybe I was a litle bit fast and/or short in my reply.
First I assumed that PaoloVip use puppy4 then he didn't tell with package he aimed to load. Depends of how many packages there are you may have or may have not a scrollbar.
I use 800x600 in my monitor so I'm aware the problem, but now I know that there isn't other buttons then the "cancel" and when I click the package name the installation begins right away. Sure there come's dialog boxes but they are in the middle of the screen.

Regards Harryh

Edit: An idiot question, how du you change the resolution?

PaoloVIP

#5 Post by PaoloVIP »

:oops:

I was thinking that Install icon was not only for add/remove packages but also for install the distro on the hard disk. After realized this (thank you to everybody) I found what it was necessary for me: Menu -> Setup -> Puppy universal installer.

Thank you again

:oops: