How to use either Puppy or XP on the same computer?

Booting, installing, newbie
76yrold

How to use either Puppy or XP on the same computer?

#1 Post by 76yrold »

As my username implies I am no spring chicken and while reasonably intelligent I think my comprehension may have slipped somewhat with age. That being said please be as clear with reply as possible . My system says I have 37.2 GB capacity and I am using 7.89 with home XP and have every windows update known to man. I guess I am looking for a dual boot initially if that means at boot I have a choice between Win & linux. So do I need a partitioning program or will puppy do it for me? Do I need windows partition, linux partition and a 3rd for whatever or what?
Finally what must I do about e-mail in puppy. Oh if it helps I am broadband and do use firebox. And anything else you can tell me. And hey I know its all been said before, but please humor me.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Jaybekay

#3 Post by Jaybekay »

There are lots of ways to use puppy, but the easiest way (for me) is to just always boot from the CD. The Puppy operating system can be loaded off of the CD instead of your hard drive.

When you power-off at the end of the session, Puppy will ask you if you want to save your session. You can save the session to your hard drive. By saving the session, I mean the configuration set-up, downloads, changes, new programs, browsing history, and files that you created or modified.

Next time you boot up Puppy off of the CD, it will look on your computer hard drive for a save file, and will automatically load it. So on your second puppy session, you will be set up exactly as you were the last time.

This is the way lots of people use puppy and there is no messing around with partitions and practically no risk of losing your Windows files.

If you want Puppy, put in the CD and boot up from there. If you want Windows, take out the CD and boot off of the hard drive. It isn't true dual-booting (2 operating systems on one hard drive) but it does the trick.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I agree with Jaybekay; booting from the CD with a save file on a hard disk is the best way to run Puppy (or run from a multisession DVD as I do, which doesn't require a hard disk at all.) Having said that, I'll attempt to answer some of your questions.

Puppy's installation program does not partition the hard disk. You have to do that manually, before attempting to install Puppy. Depending on the amount of RAM you have, you can boot the Puppy CD and use Gparted to partition the hard disk. If you don't have enough RAM to boot the CD (at least 128 MB? I'm not sure anymore.), there are ways to get around that.

As to how to partition the hard disk, there are no hard and fast rules, only general guidelines. It depends mostly on what you intend to use the computer for. Generally, if you have 256 MB or RAM or less, you should probably create a swap partition.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

Flash,

For benefit of our young Puppian, myself, et al.

Q: You seem to have nothing but success, what brand and type DVD do you use?

Q: You must burn an open session? What tool do you use?

Q: What about write cycles, is this only on shutdown? If not please explain.

Q: If you only have one DVD/CD-ROM device, can it be made available for other purposes during a session?

Q: Not asking for a minimum RAM requirement, I'm asking for an ideal minimum RAM requirement for this type of installation?

------------------------

Swap device considerations

Making a swap partition would involve (probably) making some free space using Gparted, then formatting the free space as a swap partition. I tend to worry about resizing operations, mostly praying for no power outage or program freeze.

I read a post (long series of posts) about someone having a tough time getting a swap file working on an NTFS. Why it failed, I'm not sure.

Q: Are people having success with swap files on NTFS?

Bruce

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Bruce B wrote:Flash,

For benefit of our young Puppian, myself, et al.

Q: You seem to have nothing but success, what brand and type DVD do you use?
Every brand and kind of DVD (+R, -R, +RW, -RW) I've tried has worked in every brand of burner drive.
Q: You must burn an open session? What tool do you use?
Puppy's Burniso2cd exclusively. There is no option to close or open. It just works.
Q: What about write cycles, is this only on shutdown? If not please explain.
If you mean have I "worn out" a rewritable disk, the answer is no. I've saved more than 100 sessions on one DVD without any problem. I usually only save at shutdown because if I use the "save" icon on the desktop, I have to start X with "xwin" the next boot. That may have been fixed in the last few versions of Puppy, I haven't tried "save" lately. I only save at shutdown if I've done something I want to save to the DVD, which isn't very often.
Q: If you only have one DVD/CD-ROM device, can it be made available for other purposes during a session?
Yes. You'll notice that I have a 500 MB swap partition, so Puppy loads completely and releases the drive.
Q: Not asking for a minimum RAM requirement, I'm asking for an ideal minimum RAM requirement for this type of installation?
I'd say about what I've got. 250 MB of RAM with a 500 MB swap.

------------------------
Swap device considerations
<>
Q: Are people having success with swap files on NTFS?

Bruce
I believe so. I think one forum member, I forget who, even got Puppy to share Windows' page file instead of having a separate swap file. This could cause problems if you hibernate Windows, because the RAM is saved to the page file.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

oli

#7 Post by oli »

We made a step-by-step manual. Please have a look at

http://www.puppy-linux.info/en/manual/main.html

or

http://www.puppylinux.org/manual

(It's the same manual at both websites).

Bruce B

#8 Post by Bruce B »

I think our next community project is to try and figure out how to make clickable hyperlinks.

Flash, thanks for your answers, I've got a few write once dvds on hand. And sorry to bother, but I have a couple more questions. It seems that handling everything on one DVD is ingenious to say the least and seeing your success, I'd like some first hand experience with the method.

Q: what pup_save size do you recommend?

Q: when I get to the end of the DVD is there a way to transfer the last session(s) to the new DVD?

TIA

cthisbear

#9 Post by cthisbear »

Boot from the CD.

Copy the pup_xxx.sfs and zdrv_xxx.sfs to your hard drive and boot.

The 2 files must be renamed to lower case if copied in Windows.
Different Puppies...different names where xxx is substituted.

With NTFS drives make sure Windows shuts down properly.
Otherwise Puppy will not see your 2 main files or the
swap and save files that it makes.

If you run Fat32 partitions this is not the case.
It's like a safety issue (simply expressed) that if XP does not
shut down properly...Puppy recognises this and does not
screw around with your files.

Do NOT partition your disk.
If you have another partition put the files there...no problem.
It will save you heartache.
I run Puppies all the time but still boot into XP.
Safer for you and simpler.
Still fast...I run Puppy on low to high end computers.

My E:\ Drive fat32 partition....example.

MSY_083.SFS
msy_save.2fs
pup_215.sfs|
zdrv_215.sfs|

contains the zdrv(Drivers) file for Puppy 2.15CE
and the pup.sfs file (Main files) as well for Puppy 2.15CE.
So if I boot up...and can connect with the internet..then setup the
firewall etc...screen size(usually 1024 x 768) etc,
I reboot and let it save the swap file-save files to the same
hard drive as the 2 main files.
The hard drives are named differently in Linux.
Make a folder named eg: 1 For Puppy Linux....
on the same drive or partition that you copy the
main files off the Puppy CD in Windows.

When you boot Puppy first...mount the drives and
see what Puppy calls the drive with the folder
1 For Puppy Linux.
Write it down to avoid confusion.
You must UNMOUNT the drives before Rebooting.
Puppy will ask you if you want to save your settings
the first time.
Make sure that it is the same drive as that folder.
Leave the CD in and reboot and - hopefully
all your settngs are saved.

The MSY_083.SFS and msy_save.2fs are from
MU and his Minisys Muppy08.
He only has one file combined for this Puplet.
Maybe this may be a better first time Puppy
for you...everything works straight up.
Just enable Firewall?

Depends on your Internet of course.
Some more specs would be good...ram etc.

Anyway good on you mate.
" no spring chicken " but a Rooster that's not
afraid to have a crow....so's to speak.

Welcome to Puppy.
There will be plenty of different opinions from
people smarter than I...
but this way is simple...works...no dramas.
Advance slowly.

Chris.

PS.
" Puppy's Burniso2cd exclusively.
There is no option to close or open. It just works."

However for Windows use this...not Nero.
Small..fast..always works..does DVD as well.

" BurnCDCC™

Version 2.00a Released 3/17/2006 (Click here for FTP Download)

This utility is used to burn an ISO file to a CD/DVD/BD disc.
Many new systems come with a limited CD/DVD software package
that lacks the ability to burn ISO files.

Burn CDs 32 - 40 speed...DVDs at a slower speed as well.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downlo ... ftware.htm

////////////////
Also:
Very handy for cleaning XP...copyng for backup etc.

Why I use Puppy to tuneup XP

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 413#131413

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

Bruce B wrote:I think our next community project is to try and figure out how to make clickable hyperlinks.
Meanwhile, all we have to do is remember to highlight the URL and then click the "URL" button above the compose window. :)
Q: what pup_save size do you recommend?
Multisession doesn't seem to use a pup_save file as such. I don't know how it works but somehow Puppy saves whatever you've changed. I don't think a multisession DVD would work very well if you do lots of complex work involving large files, but it works fine for me. One thing I recommend is to move your browser's cache to /tmp so it is not saved and loaded back into RAM at boot, using more and more RAM each time you boot. Also, switch to a web-based email such as Yahoo or Gmail. Apparently all email clients save everything including deleted emails, and then load them into RAM when you boot. :shock:
Q: when I get to the end of the DVD is there a way to transfer the last session(s) to the new DVD?
If Puppy sees that there is not enough room left on the DVD it is supposed to ask you to start a new one. Actually new versions of Puppy come out so often that I have only done it once, a long time ago. I have also tried simply putting in a blank DVD and shutting down, to force Puppy to start a new DVD. That was also a long time ago. I don't remember how well it worked. Sorry. :oops: If it does work, it is a way of effectively "defragmenting" a multisession Puppy.