How do I multi-boot from hard drive?

Booting, installing, newbie
Cerberus

How do I multi-boot from hard drive?

#1 Post by Cerberus »

i was wondering is there any way to have it so that rather than booting puppy using grub you could boot it in a list system, like when you have multiple windows installations there i a back screen with a list of OS's and you move the keys to select which one, or it autostarts after 30 seconds

As well can grub run windows?

lastly is there any way to remove grub from your MBR (just a good thing to know)

raffy

Easy - just read

#2 Post by raffy »

Easy - just read. There is a WinXP install of Puppy pointed to in the link below.

As to removing Grub, fixmbr (in WinXP), fdisk /mbr (in Win98).
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Cerberus

#3 Post by Cerberus »

sorry, i should have been a bit more specific

the pc i want to install this on does not have windows on it
i was just mainly wondering if that was a windows feature or if it was something that came with the bios

also couldyou give me a link to a good site with directions on updating a bios and for finding the bios files to flash to the system

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

The answer for removing grub is basically the same regardless if you have windows. You typically use an fdisk utility.

As far as flashing the bios, go the the motherboard mfg site and see if they have updates available. They usually provide kit with instructions.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

You say you want to be able to choose which of several OSes to boot on your computer from a boot-time menu. This is exactly what GRUB is designed to do when it is configured properly. Why do you want to remove GRUB?

Cerberus

#6 Post by Cerberus »

i hope someone answers qickly...

i want to remove grub temporarily becasue it is giving me problems when i have my windows boot disk in the drive

i want it off of there for now so that i can be back to a virgin system, which i work nest with