How do I burn a live CD from the Puppy iso?

Booting, installing, newbie
Confused Computer User

How do I burn a live CD from the Puppy iso?

#1 Post by Confused Computer User »

I just finished downloading the PuppyLinux .iso file and I managed to identify in my CD burning software (CyberLink DVD Suite and CyberLink Power2Go) the option that allows me to burn a bootable CD. Now my question is: once this is done what should I see on the live CD if I read it with Windows Explorer. I can only see two files which are BOOTCTG.bin and BOOTIMG.bin. Is this right or did I do something wrong when writing the CD? Any hints or pointers are greatly appreciated.
NOTE: Saying that I’m a newbie is kind of stretching it a bit. So please explain as much as you can. Thank you in advance.

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

Not knowing more than what you wrote, it might be good. (think we aren't talking about a Puppy CD)

How about leaving the CD Disc in the tray, reboot the computer, see if it works and report back?

Confused Computer User

#3 Post by Confused Computer User »

Good point but the CD is meant for an older computer which has moth balls by now (I exaggerate for effect). So I was kind of hopping to get a confirmation that I have a good CD before having to fiddle around the BIOS settings in the old relic. :oops:

puppyluvr

ISO CD

#4 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello

@D/L Burncdcc for windows and burn the iso with that..
You should see vmlinuz/pup.xxxsfs/zdrvx.xx ect...
Not an img. file..
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

oblivious

#5 Post by oblivious »

waste of time
Last edited by oblivious on Mon 09 Jun 2008, 03:32, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce B

#6 Post by Bruce B »

If you burned Puppy Linux and if it was 4.00 these files should be visable

VMLINUZ
ISOLINUX.BIN
BOOT.CAT
ISOLINUX.CFG
INITRD.GZ
BOOT.MSG
PUP_400.SFS
ZDRV_400.SFS

Did you make a UDF? I think if it was Puppy you made a coaster.

The mentioned Burncdcc is almost foolproof, don't burn a maximum speed and set it for verify the burn. (no nag freeware)

Download at TerraByte Unlimited

Evil20071

#7 Post by Evil20071 »

If you have it, try burning it with PowerISO. I did that and it worked flawlessly.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

Confused, what happens when you try what Bruce suggested and leave the CD in the drive when you reboot the computer which burned it? If the CD is correctly burned it should boot, and it won't do anything to the computer if you simply turn off the power after it boots.

Oblivious, I don't want to get into an argument here but I'm pretty sure that Confused does want to burn a "bootable" CD with whatever burning program he's using. If it doesn't work it won't be because he chose that option.

paulh177

#9 Post by paulh177 »

The trouble is there's bootable and bootable.
If you burn an iso to CD using say BURNCDCC then the cd is of course bootable.
But most of the burner programs I've used also offer an option to "burn a bootable cd" which copies the iso (or whatever file) to the cd but creates a cd which boots into what looks like DOS.
I discovered this to my cost when experimenting with a windows burning program called NTI with which I wasn't familiar.
Using BURNCDCC is just about foolproof for windows users.

paul

oblivious

#10 Post by oblivious »

Waste of time
Last edited by oblivious on Mon 09 Jun 2008, 03:32, edited 1 time in total.

Confused Computer User

#11 Post by Confused Computer User »

Well, oblivious was right. I was using the wrong option but I got it in the end and found out what I had to do in order to burn an image. I apologize if I use some terms wrong but as I stated in another post, saying I’m a newbie is kind of stretching it. :) So I got it to boot in the end.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#12 Post by Flash »

Confused, this thread will be a waste of time for anyone who reads it hoping for the answer, unless you tell us in more detail what you did to make a bootable CD. This forum is not just to help you, but also a record of problems which have been solved, for other people to learn from. Also I would like to know where my advice was misleading. :oops:

Thanks. :)

Bruce B

#13 Post by Bruce B »

Flash wrote:
{cut}

Also I would like to know where my advice was misleading. :oops:

Thanks. :)
The only advice that could have confused confused, which you gave, was not advice to confused, but a comment/advice to oblivious.

Here's what you wrote:
  • Oblivious, I don't want to get into an argument here but I'm pretty sure that Confused does want to burn a "bootable" CD with whatever burning program he's using. If it doesn't work it won't be because he chose that option.
I think the part confused didn't catch was any inference to use BURNCDCC. On the other hand, it was a comment clearly directed to oblivious. Oblivious was your subject of the communication, and he surely didn't have a problem with it. In that context, no mistake at all.

Bruce

urban soul
Location: "Killing a nerd is not as much fun as ist sounds" B.Simpson

#14 Post by urban soul »

take it easy. I remember some 20 years ago when I burned my first CD, I chose to create a 'data disc' with that one image file on it and then make it 'bootable' while finalizing it... I then tried playing it with my cd player but the sound was confusing ...

good to know that confusing computers can boot from cd anyway even if old compaq presarios are in place.

puppyluvr

#15 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hey, Im posting this from an old Compaq...It loves Puppy... :D
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

oblivious

#16 Post by oblivious »

Confused, this thread will be a waste of time for anyone who reads it hoping for the answer, unless you tell us in more detail what you did to make a bootable CD.
Okey dokey. I'll remove my advice. You can wait for confused to return and tell you what option he selected in the particular application he's using to burn the .iso as an image and NOT make a bootable cd.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#17 Post by Flash »

I figured this would happen. I just have to show off my ignorance. 8)

Oblivious, evidently what you mean by a "bootable" CD is one that's had the special files burned on it that a bootable floppy has on it. What I mean is a CD that boots Puppy. :)

So what I'm asking Confused to do is share with us in detail what he did to burn a live Puppy CD. Is that better?

Bruce B

#18 Post by Bruce B »

Flash wrote:
{cut and snip}

So what I'm asking Confused to do is share with us in detail what he did to burn a live Puppy CD. Is that better?
Flash,

I didn't think it would happen, that's why I intervened. Look at the handle, Confused Computer User, this should tell us something. For one thing don't expect coherent answers, he's in over his head, or at least feels that way for now.

Obvious is an other handle example. If I remember correctly, obvious was sincere in the handle, at first anyway. Having learned he's no longer obvious, yet keeps the handle all the same.

Comments, am I wrong?

Bruce

oblivious

#19 Post by oblivious »

No, but it would be a bigger waste of time to say it for the third time. Let everyone wonder.....

Bruce B

#20 Post by Bruce B »

oblivious wrote:
No, but it would be a bigger waste of time to say it for the third time. Let everyone wonder.....
Yes Flash, it's better and I wish more people would say:
  • Thanks, I tried what you suggested, BURNCDCC worked like a charm.
(if that's the case)

It is often a thankless job helping others. Some times good deeds go punished.

When was the last time someone thanked you for your years of service and selfless dedication as a primary moderator?

Ever?

Flash, thanks for keeping this forum under your good moderation and organization. Thanks for your good work and dedication.

Oblivious, was I wrong about what I said about you and your handle? PS please forgive the previous spelling errors of your handle.

Bruce