Reboot of puppy4 install fails at "Detecting analog modem...

Booting, installing, newbie
tqwe

modem

#21 Post by tqwe »

i have posted results with 214. i decided to install puppy4 dingo to hdc. now have xppro,214 dingo4 all full installs workng ok. i tried to boot 4 with xircom plugged in, sopped at loading analog modem new install..........when i unplugged xircom from cardbus puppy4 contnued to load ok. the novatech wireless works in cardbus.

thank you tqwe
Attachments
view.png
(131.7 KiB) Downloaded 273 times

rerwin

#22 Post by rerwin »

tqwe,
I have searched for what seems like hours, but don't get much out of it. But some desperate ideas occurred to me.

1. It might be helpful to know more about the hardware IDs. I infer that the modem part of the Xircom combo card is ID 115d:0103. That apparently has a few flavors; so getting the "subsystem ID" might be useful. With 2.14, just use "lspci -v" and for that entry (the last) please report the line with the Subsystem ID (the second line of the entry).

2. I assume you run with only the Xircom card and not with the wireless one at the same time.

3. Just to be safe, because there have been differences in the behavior of full installs, try a frugal installation or just run from a Puppy 4.00 CD with pfix=ram.

4. It is possible that the hanging occurs while the ethernet part of the combo card is being initialized. That could happen because that is done in the background, at the same time the modem is being detected. I saw an old report of its (xircom_tulip_cb) driver hanging. You could try disabling it by using the BootManager to add it to the blacklist, while running without the card, then (saving and) rebooting with the card in.

5. I saw reports that the modem does work with linux, but at one point in the past it did not work with the 2.6 kernels. I would hope that would be fixed by now.

6. In my Puppy 4 modem testing some time ago, I saw a modem that took a long time to get detected, maybe a half-minute. I assume you waited at least that long.

I hope this gets you somewhere. Thanks for working with me.
Richard

tqwe

modem

#23 Post by tqwe »

i hope i am not wasting your time with this as this modem can only work at 33k. i did pick up a usb modem that i would like some help with when were done with the xircom. the xircom has ethernet it woked in 214 so maybe it is good to pursue anyway. i like to help when i am able, thankyou.

in 214 xircom in sub id= 115d;1181

xircom fills whole cardbus, one ata time.

cd live ram pup4 xircom in stalls ot detecting analog modem, pull out xircom pup keeps loading correctally.

pup4 no xircom to blacklist in boot manager.

xircom works in 214 and 301

tqwe

usb

#24 Post by tqwe »

just a little update on 301. boot with hdc with xircom in cardbus and something in usb port ,usb works when you unplug usb and retry usb it does not work. if i re boot with xircom out usb is ok. 4 remains still unchanged.

rerwin

#25 Post by rerwin »

tqwe,
Apparently you can blacklist only those modules already loaded; but you cannot get that far. So after booting without the xircom card, just edit the /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG file, line 30, to append the xircom driver names: xircom_tulip_cb and xircom_cb. The current line 30 is:

Code: Select all

SKIPLIST=" arcfb cirrusfb cyber2000fb cyblafb hgafb neofb pm2fb s1d13xxxfb sstfb tdfxfb tridentfb vga16fb aty128fb atyfb radeonfb i810fb intelfb kyrofb nvidiafb rivafb savagefb sisfb btaudio es1371 i810_audio kahlua trident via82cxxx_audio "
The updated line 30 would be:

Code: Select all

SKIPLIST=" arcfb cirrusfb cyber2000fb cyblafb hgafb neofb pm2fb s1d13xxxfb sstfb tdfxfb tridentfb vga16fb aty128fb atyfb radeonfb i810fb intelfb kyrofb nvidiafb rivafb savagefb sisfb btaudio es1371 i810_audio kahlua trident via82cxxx_audio xircom_tulip_cb xircom_cb "
Be sure to leave a space as the last character before the final quote.

Shut down, saving to a pup_save file, insert the xircom card, and boot up. If it does not hang, then try removing the "cb xircom_cb" from the MODULESCONFIG file and reboot. If that still hangs, put it back and remove the "xircom_tulip_cb". That would isolate the module doing the hangup.

Since the card works in 3.01, the only difference with 4.00 might be the version of the xircom driver modules. We may need tempestuous to join in here, since he knows drivers.

Thanks for the subsystem ID. Here is the entry in the "PCI.IDS list:
115d 0103 Cardbus Ethernet + 56k Modem
- - - 1014 9181 Cardbus 56k Modem
- - - 1115 1181 Cardbus Ethernet 100 + 56k Modem
- - - 115d 1181 CBEM56G-100 Ethernet + 56k Modem
- - - 8086 9181 PRO/100 LAN + Modem56 CardBus
That info could be useful if the modems use different chipsets and drivers.

One other thing: I assume you are using Puppy4 with the older kernel, 2.6.21.7, which is the same as for 3.01. Please don't use the later (2.6.25) kernel.

If blacklisting the xircom drivers lets Puppy4 boot (or even if it doesn't), try getting the modem to work by having the BootManager load the additional modules: ltserial and slamr. I am not sure that forced loading will work, but will try that out shortly. Forcing, even though it still hangs, would test whether the absence of a modem driver causes it to hang.
Richard

tqwe

xircom

#26 Post by tqwe »

Richard thank you.
using 26217 kernel
i tried editing the mod file still stalls at analog modem
tried adding diff modules as well as blacklisting as you suggested still same.
4 still keeps loading if i remove xicom

rerwin

#27 Post by rerwin »

tqwe,
One more thing to try with the 4.00 puppy: boot with the parameter "loglevel=7". That might give us a clue. Can you record the screen with a digital camera and attach the photo? Or just examine the screen for anything interesting.

To verify that the above mods are effective, Please try them on a clean 3.01 system, since the xircom does work on it. First, just add the ltserial and slamr modules. Gather evidence by copying the /tmp/bootsysinit.log file someplace you can get it from to post the contents. In addition, copy /var/log/messages, to add as an attachment to your posting.

Then add the xircom modules to the "skiplist" in /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG (and reboot); copy /tmp/bootsysinit.log again to another file, for later posting. That should tell us whether the blacklisting is accomplished.
Richard

tqwe

xircom

#28 Post by tqwe »

i blacklisted yenta_socket and with zicom in puppy4 now loads
modem wizard will not see xircom now when i probe for modem.
so far for blacklisting or not this is the first time 4 loaded all the way.
i am no to sure how to boot with loglevel+7 but i am willing to learn
thanks

rerwin

#29 Post by rerwin »

tqwe,
Good thinking! Blacklisting yenta_socket makes it so the xircom card is not seen, at all. At least that gets us into P4, so you could try blacklisting all three xircom modules: xirc2ps_cs, xircom_cb, xircom_tulip_cb, but not yenta_socket. That should avoid any driver interaction with the card.

Adding "loglevel=7" to bootup is easy. If you boot from the CD, at the first prompt enter "puppy loglevel=7" You could add " pfix=ram" to that, if you need to. If you have set up the grub menu to boot 4.00, when you see the grub menu select the 4.00 entry but press "e" instead of <enter>. You will see the content of the menu entry. Select the "kernel" line and press "e" again. Then type "loglevel=7", which should then be appended to the "kernel" statement. Press <enter>, then "b" to start the boot-up.

If you prefer to modify the grub menu itself, just add "loglevel=7" as an additional parameter on the Puppy 4.00 "kernel" statement.

Interestingly enough, Barry is mentioning a xircom combo card in his blog. When he gets his card to be recognized, there may be hope for yours, too. But first we have to avoid the hangup.
Richard

tqwe

modem

#30 Post by tqwe »

richard with xircom in xircom modules blacklisted yenta soket loaded p4 still hangs at modem....new setup. unplug xircm p4 keeps loading.
i tried a normal boot, nothing blacklisted added loglevel=7 xicom in and p4 loaded all the way??
i tried to boot p4 normally xicom in pup loaded normal. modem detected at ttyLT0. the network wizard shows xircom on eth0. it seems all is well i have no idea what happened except that the loglevel=7 thing seemed to do something?? the problem i have now when i try to use wvdial p4 locks up solid have to powerbutton my way out.
i have added some logfiles seems like were making progress,thank you,tqwe.
Attachments
test.zip
(17.4 KiB) Downloaded 199 times

Rark

XIRCOM PCMCIA - Modem detection hang

#31 Post by Rark »

I have recently installed Puppy 4.0 on my Dell Inspiron 5000.

I have a Xircom PCMCIA card inserted (ethernet + modem combo card).

Model: Xircom RealPort Cardbus Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56 RBEM56G-100

When attempting the Puppy 4.0 install the system hung at detecting modem. On the second attempt (and when appearing to hang), I popped the PCMCIA card out, and the install continued.

When in the OS, I placed the card back in, had P4 detect the Xircom ethernet card and gain an IP from the router. Internet surfing fine.

On save/restart, with the Xircom card inserted, it again hangs at the detect analoge modem, unless I pop the card fully out.

Is there a way to stop it attempting to detect the modem? I only require the ethernet part of the combo card.

Thanks in advance, Rark.