How to install Turboprint from .tgz file?

Booting, installing, newbie
Scoticus

#1 Post by Scoticus »

I have been attempting to install Turboprint without too much joy.

The download page displays the following information :

.tgz Archive (any Linux distribution)
With the TGZ archive you can adjust some installation parameters, e.g. installation path. You will also get a detailed installation protocol. The TGZ archive is required for use with LPRng spooler.

Installation: Extract the archive, change to the new created directory and start "./setup" (root login required):
tar -xzf turboprint-1.96-4.tgz
cd turboprint-1.96-4
./setup

I downloaded the TGZ file to my-applications and extracted the archive as instructed. This then displayed a blue folder within my-applications as Turboprint 1.96 and I assumed that this was the new created directory.

When I looked for the hidden setup file this could not be found. There is a folder bearing the name setup but no matter what I try nothing happens.

Obviously I am going wrong some where so once again I am seeking your assistance.

Thanking you in anticipation

Ian
[b]Puppy 4.0[/b]; AMD Athlon X2 4400 Processor; 2048MB DDR2 Memory; 320GB HD; nVidia 6100 Graphics; 16x Dual Layer DVD burner; Philips 190X5 monitor,Epson Stylus Photo R265 printer. Logitech LX 710 cordless keyb & mouse

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

Hi Ian,

after you've done:

cd turboprint-1.96-4

if you enter ls , is a setup file listed? If so, then you might need to give it executable permissions, before you can run it, with

chmod +x setup

If there isn't a setup file, then maybe the file was corrupted during download?

Scoticus

#3 Post by Scoticus »

Many thanks Muggins

I looked again at the installation and still no luck. Deleted files and tried again. Still no joy. Made 3rd attempt but used 32 bit this time and when opening the turboprint 1.96-4 folder and clicking setup it commenced working.

Went through the various stages and fell at the last hurdle. The print sample did not work and displayed error message of :

usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel/failed

the give away I suspect is the reference to parallel as my printer has a USB connection but there was no clue to what I should do to fix this.

Having saved everything so far and rebooted there does not appear to be any menu listing for Turboprint. How do I get that? Everything was working OK via CUPS prior to this problem.

Do you have any idea how I can resolve matters?

Once again thanks

Ian

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

Hi Ian,
Everything was working OK via CUPS prior to this problem.
I'm confused here? If printer works OK with Cups, why install turboprint? turboprint is useful if you can't find a driver for your printer but, unless you buy a license from them, it will print a turbo logo atop your printing.

With regard to setting up turbo, have you checked the online manual? In particular, chapter4, which is about using xtpsetup. If you run xtpsetup, from a console, does this setup gui start? If it does, then you should be able to use it to configure your printer as usb.

r__hughes

#5 Post by r__hughes »

I've been using turboprint for about 3 years now - since pup1.08 since my printer - a canon S520 was not well-supported by the pup system.

I recently installed a grub mounted frugal pup3.01 on an old WME machine and installed turbobrint from turboprint-1.96-3.tgz

I opened the tgz file by clicking it & extracted to /
this created a /turboprint-1.96-3 folder containing folders & filoes (see picture) -

Note I edited the system.cfg file to set
TPBIN_BROWSER=mozilla
then used right-click/window/terminal here to get a terminal window in which I printed
./setup
this created all the dependencies listed in the above cfg file - including the 2 main control files
/usr/bin/xtpsetup
/usr/bin/xtpconfig
I used xtpsetup to add my Canon S520 printer & print a test page
-- access cups by
http://localhost:631/
this showed by printer as tp0 but not as default printer - attempts to change it gave a password error - solved by setting root password
passwd root
root
root
(it complains the password is too short but accepts it anyway)
Changing cups printer default was now possible using the root password
-----------
useful terminal commands ---
lpstat -d --- show cups default printer
lpoptions -d tp0 --- sets tp0 as default printer (required for abiword & gnumeric)
lpoptions - d tp0@192.168.0.104 -- sets a network printer as default
----------
Attachments
tp.jpg
contents of the /turboprint-1.96-3 folder
(35.26 KiB) Downloaded 910 times
--- quad booting Slacko57NPAE, Slacko56NPAE, Slacko55PAE (with OO4, devx, Gimp) & WXP on DELL Dimension 2400 PC & DELL Latitude 630 Laptop using grub.
---USB-Flash booting same on Samsung N110 WXP Netbook and Lenovo q100 WXP netPC.

Scoticus

#6 Post by Scoticus »

Muggins

Firstly I thought that I had exclusive rights on confused! From seeking a suitable means of printing border less A4 photographs I was led to Turboprint as offering a solution. Are you saying that I am wasting my time with it? I used xtpsetup but did not find a way of registering the printer as USB

r__hughes

I found that using your guidance that I still can't print the test pages. Following your edit of the system.cfg I changed the browser to OPERA but when following on using the ./setup it displayed windows showing :

1. # ./setup
chown: unknown user name: lp
chown: unknown user name: lp
chgrp: unknown group name: lp
chgrp: unknown group name: lp
cp: cannot create regular file `/home/*/.gtkrc.mine': No such file or directory
chown: unknown user name: BUGREPORT

2. TurboPrint Installation
=======================
Keyfile not found: *.key
TurboPrint V1.96-4 (11-JAN-2008) (c)ZEDOnet GmbH

No keyfile present in installation directory.
Installing TurboPrint Free Edition.

Installation for CUPS printing system (TP_CUPS=1)
Configuration files will go to.. /etc/turboprint
Shared files will go to......... /usr/share/turboprint
Executable files will go to..... /usr/bin
Logfiles files will go to....... /var/log
Documentation will go to........ /usr/share/turboprint/doc
Browser for documentation....... opera

(edit system.cfg to change installation paths)

Restarting CUPS printing system...

Checking shared libraries:
(add missing libraries with your package manager)

gtk library found

Checking filter programs:
(if required, add missing packages with your package manager)

gs found (needed for PS,PDF,FIG,DVI,troff,html,ASCII)
lp found (command line printing)

Installation completed

Attempting to print the test page once again failed. I changed settings to CUPS URI and set the URL to the one shown in your advice. Again no joy with the printing.

Anything that I have tried so far has either not compared with the print quality currently experienced via doz or delivered border less prints.

I am totally open to any alternative that you may offer.

Thanks vm for everything so far

Ian

r__hughes

#7 Post by r__hughes »

I installed turboprint to puppy3.01 seamonkey and the only thing I changed in the Turboprint folder was the system.cfg reference to the browser - no other paths were changed. Installation went smoothly & installation of my printer via xtpsetup went without a hitch

Installing turboprint from the /turboprint-1.96-3 installation folder should create the following (after which this folder can be deleted)

/usr/bin/xtpsetup
/usr/bin/xtpconfig

clicking /usr/bin/xtpsetup should bring up the Turboprint Printer Setup window which lets you add printers by clicking the ADD button (see picture)

also folders
/etc/turboprint with files: system.cfg & turboprint.cfg
/usr/share/turboprint with 8 folders including printers & ppd files !!!
/etc/cups/ppd contains tp0.ppd (the installed turboprint printer driver) !!

Check if you have all these files/folders installed.
-- good luck
----------------------------------
03feb08 - edited to correct wrong tp0.ppd location (correct location is /etc/cups/ppd folder as now shown)
Attachments
tp1.png
clicking /usr/bin/xtpsetup opens this window - clicking ADD shows available printers (about 350)
(64.99 KiB) Downloaded 928 times
Last edited by r__hughes on Mon 04 Feb 2008, 00:34, edited 1 time in total.
--- quad booting Slacko57NPAE, Slacko56NPAE, Slacko55PAE (with OO4, devx, Gimp) & WXP on DELL Dimension 2400 PC & DELL Latitude 630 Laptop using grub.
---USB-Flash booting same on Samsung N110 WXP Netbook and Lenovo q100 WXP netPC.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#8 Post by BarryK »

Note, the default password for the 'root' user in Puppy 3.01 (and Dingo) is 'woofwoof'.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

r__hughes

#9 Post by r__hughes »

Scoticus - just noticed this reference to your printer as usb in your reply to muggins - apologies I must have missed it before
the give away I suspect is the reference to parallel as my printer has a USB connection but there was no clue to what I should do to fix this.
Have you invoked

Code: Select all

modprobe usblp
to enable usb printers? Does this help?

Scoticus

#10 Post by Scoticus »

r__hughes

Thanks for the guide on the USB problem. I checked through everything last night and confirmed that I had everything that you said I should have. I intended that tonight I would rip everything off my Gizmo and start again.

I will try your suggestion before I resort to drastic measures and advise further.

Barry

Thanks for the reminder of the password but in this instance it was not called for when installing Turboprint.

Ian

muggins

#11 Post by muggins »

Ian,

following on from r__hughes's point, what output do you get if you enter:

lsmod | grep usb
?

Scoticus

#12 Post by Scoticus »

r__hughes

This is where my level of knowledge lets me down. I am making slow progress in understanding what is going on but every now and again the feet are taken from under me. This feels like one of those times.

Your question of invoking code got me confused so I assumed that i should enter that into the consol. Other than accepting the code and showing a new # there was no sign of acceptance.

Muggins aked that I check and report back using another code and this did evoke a response.

The following was displayed :

# lsmod | grep usb
usblp 14080 0
usbhid 24928 0
usb_storage 83264 1
usbcore 127128 6 usblp,usbhid,usb_storage,ehci_hcd,ohci_hcd
#

and I now look to muggins to kindly enlighten me what is going on.

I attempted to print again and found that I am still unable to do so.

When I start the sequence the Print Setup displays as follows :

Printer : Epson_Stylus_Photo_R265_usb_1
Type : CUPS: Epson_Stylus_Photo_R265_usb_1

so it looks like the USB is accepted but still no prints.

In case it is me being daft how do I print. Do I have to go into CUPS first or what. I have been working on the basis of calling up a OpenOffice writer document and clicking print. This worked before but somewhere along the line that has ceased.

Once again my sincere thanks to you both

Ian

r__hughes

#13 Post by r__hughes »

Another thing to check - with your usb printer plugged in check
Menu/System/Usbview & verify your printer is shown as a valid connected usb device.

I've always used my printer with a parallel cable (so it is already defined as /dev/lp0) but this morning I connected the Canon S520 using a usb cable to make sure it all worked :)

I used the terminal to

modprobe usblp
since I'd never used it before on this T22 Thinkpad.

Confirmed that /dev/usb/lp0 & lp1 existed then used xtpsetup to add a second printer (the Canon S520 as a usb device)

When the S520 was selected xtpsetup immediately offered to connect it as
usb://Canon/S520
then added it as non-default printer & offered to print a Test Page which when accepted, came out within 20 sec.
The usb printer definition is shown in the picture below.

So I can confirm that pup301 with native CUPS & turboprint work OK for me.

Good luck

PS Once the printer is defined as a usb device it seems to automatically do a modprobe usblp on the next bootup - at least I can't find anywhere that I/m doing it.
Attachments
tp2.png
turbopprint xtpsetup window after adding the USB connected Canon S520 as a second printer
(10.97 KiB) Downloaded 1836 times

Scoticus

#14 Post by Scoticus »

Once again because of the time zones I am looking at this before I rush off to work. As I have a meeting tonight it looks very much like I will have to postpone further checking until Thursday evening.

Will look further into things then and report back.

Once again my thanks for all your kind assistance

Ian

Scoticus

#15 Post by Scoticus »

r__hughes

I feel that I am battering my head against a brick wall. I seem to be able to get so far and then no more. I think that I will go back to square one and reinstall everything again.

Looking at your screenshots it looks that you are working with Turboprint and not through the medium of CUPS. I will ignore the CUPS in the first instance and see what develops.

Will post further after the install.

Thanks again for all your assistance and patience

Ian

Scoticus

#16 Post by Scoticus »

I am getting nowhere fast on this. I have checked, checked and checked again and everything appears to be as described.

I was working from a USB pen drive and had at startup set up my printer on CUPS and could print reasonably from it but I could not get borderless printing of photos.

I downloaded another Puppy and saved this to a multisession disk but found that after saving everything I still could not print from Turboprint. Even more frustrating was that when I rebooted the DVD and went to find the Turboprint installation it was nowhere to be found.

I will re-try with a multisession again and see what develops.

If anyone has a fool proof way of printing borderless photos then please tell me before I go completely mad

tday

Turboprint

#17 Post by tday »

I bought a Turboprint key about five years ago, and it's been good through all their releases. I've used Turboprint with my USB Canon i250 right up to pups 3 to 4. Extract, select "setup" and follow prompts. Sometimes I've had to fiddle a bit, maybe change the order of starting Cups and Turbo, but no big problems. With 3.01 and 4.00 I get to "print test page" and there it hangs. No help here, just wanted to let others struggling with this that it's not the USB port, and probably not a corrupt file.

Why an ancient I250 for everyday printing? The ink's still cheap.

SamSung

#18 Post by SamSung »

Hi

I am trying to install turbo print also on Toutou Puppy the French version, I have extracted the files to / and then run ./setup

the program reports that it cannot start the xwindows installation tool but continues anyway then reports that that /var/log/turboprint/install.log does not exist, then it shows me where it will install files and asks me if I wish to continue I say yes and it again reports the above missing directory as well as lib/install-static.

I look for the executables in /usr/bin and they do not exist.

Any one have any ideas

Sam

muggins

#19 Post by muggins »

SamSung,

I just downloaded it to take a look. You could try either editing the file system.cfg & altering the TPPATH_LOG=/var/log, to say TPPATH_LOG=/var, or create the directory that it's looking for, (if it doesn't exist).

It would be better to do the last option, as there are quite a few files that refer to /var/log. Does this directory exist on your system?

SamSung

#20 Post by SamSung »

Hi Muggins,

thanks for the help,/var/log exists.

So I have run in the extracted directory for turboprint 1.96-4

ldd xtpsetup

which returns (how can I copy and paste from terminal-just an aside) a list of libraries;

linux-gate.so.1, libgtk-1.2.so.1, libgdk-1.2.so.1, libgmodule-1.2.so.1, libglib-1.2.so.1, libXi.so.6, libXext.so.6, libX11.so.6, libd1.so.2, libm.so.6, libc.so.6, libXau.so.6, libxcb-xlib.so.0, libxcb.so.1, libXdmcp.so.6.

I looked on MU's site, as I thought they may be there but no joy, can you help me find these files.

Thanks

Sam