3.01: password authentication fails in wvdial/partly solved

Booting, installing, newbie
tqwe

3.01: password authentication fails in wvdial/partly solved

#1 Post by tqwe »

I am using wvdial 1.5.I have a USR 5637 USB dialup modem. On pup 301 when i use wvdial it tells me password authentication failed it then goes into pppd for along time eventually stopping with error19.i tried gkdial it makes the modem light up as well but does not connect.I am ot sure but I think it connected once with wvdial when it was going through pppd mode. When i use wvdial I always see that authentication failed at the password prompt?

When I use wvdial on the 2geee it give me the same thing about the password when i am trying to connect.If i close wvdial and start gkdial I will be able to connect to the internet. It is strange because gkdial does not light up or say it has connected but blinky starts up and i am on the internet. If i want to disconnect i have to use wvdial, gkdial wont disconnect. This is how i am able to use the usr56337 usb dialup modem on the 2geee.
Last edited by tqwe on Wed 02 Jul 2008, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
tqwe

modem update

#2 Post by tqwe »

I am now using gkdial pup301 hdc install dellc600,usb modem on dialup to post this.I am not sure of connection speed but it is faster than the 33kbs that the cardbus xircom I was using.I will use the xircom when out if I can not recieve wireless,for the ethernet.
This is what I did so far.
-use bootmanager to load cdc_acm reboot
-in rxvt type mknod /dev/ttyACM0 c 166 0 press enter
type chmod go+w /dev/ttyACM0 press enter
type cd/dev/ press enter
type ln -s /dev/ttyACM0/dev/modem press enter and reboot
-install wvdial1.5 newest one and reboot with usb modem plugged in.
-open wvdial, probe modem it should find it on ttyAcm0,reboot.
-open gkdial enter your prefrences, put /dev/modem/ttyACM0.
Now you should be ale to use gkdial with usb dialup modem.I do not know why but for some reason you have to use wvdial to detect the modem then after that gkdial sees it.Some of the info here was used from other posts for me to make this work. Thankyou.

PS the 2geeestill works but i have to use gkdial to open and wvdial to disconnect. edit new info: The modem now works on the eee2g.I had to revert back to pupeee3 and do the above.Now gkdial works on both laptops.
FrankA

#3 Post by FrankA »

US Robotics model 5637 USB fax-modem is reported to be fully working in lucid puppy 5.1 . a major step forward, since it is readily avilable OVERPRICED as of 2010.
Karl Godt

#4 Post by Karl Godt »

at 4.1.2 and 5.1 I had to rmmod usb_serial at console to make the default delivered pupdial working.

First I also thought that would have something to do with pppd --version.

I also copied pupdial from 4.3.0/1 to 4.1.2 and luci-218 to make it work.

sdiff /pupdial-4.3 /pupdial-luci218 showed off roundabout 70 changed lines.