rt2500 Wireless PCMCIA card only worked first time **Solved*

Using applications, configuring, problems
tempestuous

#21 Post by tempestuous »

frankc,
I'm hoping that an upgraded wpa_supplicant might fix the problem.
Please first try the the stable release; wpa_supplicant-0.5.10
then if still no success try the development release; wpa_supplicant-0.6.3

Both of these packages re-install /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf and /etc/wpa_supplican2.conf, so you will need to re-modify these files to contain your SSID and Personal Security Key.

EDIT: attachments removed.
Last edited by tempestuous on Mon 04 Aug 2008, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

frankc

#22 Post by frankc »

Same results for both.

I ran dhcpcd two ways:
dhcpcd -t 30 -h puppypc2 -d wlan0
and
dhcpcd -I '' -t 30 -h puppypc2 -d wlan0

I did not reboot between installations of packages.

Frank

tempestuous

#23 Post by tempestuous »

Well I just spent some time investigating the rt2500pci driver on the rt2x00.serialmonkey.com forum, but I think the description in the kernel source says it all:
This is an experimental driver for the Ralink rt2500 wireless chip.
So until this driver matures the only way to get RT2500 WPA support with the 2.6.25.11 kernel is to revert to the older "enhanced legacy" rt2500 driver. Get it here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 099#221099

frankc

#24 Post by frankc »

tempestuous wrote:So until this driver matures the only way to get RT2500 WPA support with the 2.6.25.11 kernel is to revert to the older "enhanced legacy" rt2500 driver. Get it here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 099#221099
I can't check right this minute. Does this mean staying with version 4.1 Alpha 5?

tempestuous

#25 Post by tempestuous »

Yes. And any future Puppy versions with 2.6.25.11 kernel.

frankc

#26 Post by frankc »

I tried what you suggested and it was a nogo.

I installed the package and rebooted.

I then entered the following commands:
modprobe ieee80211_crypt_ccmp
modprobe aes
modprobe crc32c

iwprov ra0 set NetworkType=Infra

At this point, I went to look at /var/adm/messages but it was empty. However entering 'dmesg' showed a message that said that 'iwpriv <dev> set NetworkType' is deprecated, please use 'iwconfig <dev> mode' instead.
So I entered:
iwconfig ra0 mode managed
iwpriv ra0 set AuthMode=WPAPSK
iwpriv ra0 set EncrypType=AES
iwpriv ra0 set WPAPSK='my_psk'
iwpriv ra0 set SSID=my_ssid

Again there was a message about this being deprecated.

iwconfig ra0 essid my_essid

iwconfig
shows an empty essid

dhcpcd -t 30 -h puppypc2 -d ra0

The lights on the wireless card never come on. An invalid IP address (169.254.71.35) is assigned.

ifconfig ra0 down

dhcpcd -I '' -t 30 -h puppypc2 -d ra0

Same results.

So I guess at this point, I can not have a wireless network with this card until the ralink driver is updated.

Is there a list or something that I subscribe to or check periodically so that I'll know when this happens.

Again thanks for all the help,
Frank

tempestuous

#27 Post by tempestuous »

It was starting to sound like WPA iwpriv commands might have been abandoned by the legacy Ralink drivers ... but no.
Apparently there are now one or two deprecated iwpriv parameters, and these will cause a warning message in dmesg, but the rt2500 driver still supports WPA via iwpriv.
Here is the relevant section from the official README in the latest rt2500 source code:
Example IV: STA with AP using WPAPSK/TKIP(Authentication/Encryption)
1. iwconfig ra0 mode managed
2. iwpriv ra0 set AuthMode=WPAPSK
3. iwpriv ra0 set EncrypType=TKIP
4. iwconfig ra0 essid "AP's SSID" (1)
5. iwpriv ra0 set WPAPSK="AP's wpa-preshared key"
6. iwconfig ra0 essid "AP's SSID"

Example V: STA with AP using WPAPSK/AES(Authentication/Encryption)
1. iwconfig ra0 mode managed
2. iwpriv ra0 set AuthMode=WPAPSK
3. iwpriv ra0 set EncrypType=AES
4. iwconfig ra0 essid "AP's SSID" (1)
5. iwpriv ra0 set WPAPSK="AP's wpa-preshared key"
6. iwconfig ra0 essid "AP's SSID"

(1) Part of generating the wpapsk password. Needed when anything other than a 64 hex character string is used in step 5. When a 64 character hex string is used, step 4 may be omitted.

Some APs don't provide enough security information to allow the driver to establish a connection. If you are unable to connect using the above procedures, try specifying the BSSID (i.e. the AP's MAC address)
e.g.
iwconfig ra0 ap 11:22:33:44:55:66
So it appears you should use the commands from "Example V". I see that these commands are similar to those I explained in the "Ralink" section of the Wifi HOWTO ... but there are two differences of significance:
1. the order of the commands
2. I used "iwpriv <interface> set SSID ..." but this appears to be deprecated, and replaced by "iwconfig <interface> essid ..."
Note, too, that this command is run twice.

One final note; I see on the rt2x00.serialmonkey forum that some people suggest to run "ifconfig ra0 up" just before running the DHCP command.

If you can confirm that these commands work, I will update the Wifi HOWTO.

frankc

#28 Post by frankc »

Ok. I entered the commands in the order specified in Example V. I did NOT enter an 'ifconfig ra0 up'. It WORKED. Yeah. Thank you very much for all your time and effort.

So I'm assuming that the reason it worked the first time for me was that I had entered the command to set the essid twice and not realized it/placed an significance to it.

Again thanks for all your help.

BTW if you need/want someone to do some testing for you in the future, I'm your man.

tempestuous

#29 Post by tempestuous »

I suspect that your earlier success may be due to my older instructions being OK with the older release of the rt2500 driver.
WPA setup for the legacy Ralink drivers has always relied on a mix of iwpriv and iwconfig commands.
It appears that the "set SSID" function has been recently removed as a private ioctl of the driver, and this has forced the need for the revised command sequence.

I will update the Wifi HOWTO shortly.

Would you please edit the title of this thread to indicate "solved".

tempestuous

#30 Post by tempestuous »

Regarding WPA support in the "new code" rt2500pci Ralink driver, you could keep your eye on the "rt2500 (pci) Legacy 802.11b/g Support" section of the rt2x00 forum
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/phpBB/
and even post a query there. The developer, Ivo van Doorn, seems very responsive, particularly when you provide accurate reporting.
Regarding updated rt2x00 drivers; this is a little messy, since it involves upgrading the underlying mac80211 drivers at the same time. It would be best just to wait for a newer kernel before trying the rt2500pci driver again.

But apart from not being able to use the Network Wizard, you have a working solution in the most recent release of Puppy Linux. That's a win.