Ntpdate doesn't set the right time in Puppy 4 (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
Anti

Ntpdate doesn't set the right time in Puppy 4 (Solved)

#1 Post by Anti »

Hi,

I'm a new Puppy user and a fairly new Linux user. I have managed to install Puppy to my compact flash card and it works pretty good.

There is one problem still though. I have installed the ntpd package ( http://puppylinux.ca/tpp/bugs/ntp-4.2.4p4.pet ) but when I try to use ntpdate() the time is not reported correctly.

I have set the time zone to GMT+1 but when ntpdate() sets the time it is corrected to GMT.

date() reports the time as GMT-1 whatever I set the setting to in X.

I'm pretty confused so if someone could help me would be good.

Anti

#2 Post by Anti »

I have now tried to use this guide to set the timezone manually, but to no avail.

I would be glad if someone could help me with this issue because I'm getting pretty frustrated.

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

Long time ago I learned something was backward. It showed when I started using a program to sync my clock.

So I stopped doing it.

Anti

#4 Post by Anti »

That was not really the answer I was looking for but thanks for the input anyway. Hopefully will someone else be able to at least explain why this happens.

Eyes-Only

#5 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Anti,

I believe you'll find what BruceB was attempting to tell you---in a rather humorous way (but it got lost? ;) )---was that this time thing has been an eternally (pun intended) on-going problem with Puppy that even BarryK, the Dev, hasn't quite been able to figure out.

At one time I'd gotten mine to work. The way I did it was---and I don't recommend everyone trying this!---was to completely erase/delete everything dealing with "time" on the hard drive install of my Puppy-Dingo 4.00. (That means the two files dealing with "time" in "/etc" and the "zoneinfo" directory in "/usr/share".)

What I did next was rather "unorthodox" to say the least: I hauled over the files from my LinuxMint-4.00 replacing those that I'd deleted in Puppy, and then some of course. However, the caveat is that this disables the ability to reset your time from the "Menu>Desktop>Set time". So how did I do it? I rebooted. It picked up my system clock as Puppy, for some ungodly reason, always decided to reset itself to my computer's localtime (hardware clock) rather than realtime---since my LinuxMint was set for ntpdate it was always being refreshed by Washington's atomic clock whenever I worked in that distro---and hence that's how Puppy would keep the time straight.

LinuxMint-4.0 is now a thing of the past for me, however, Puppy keeps perfect step with my Parsix partition---since LinuxMint and Parsix both share Debian as the mother/grandmother base.

I only have trouble with Puppy now and time whenever I choose to use Mandriva or NimbleX... -slap head-

Keeps life interesting at least.

Amicalement/Cheers,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

Anti

#6 Post by Anti »

Thank you Eyes-Only!

Doing the same as you did solved my problem. I took the zoneinfo from kubuntu but it worked perfectly.

Eyes-Only

#7 Post by Eyes-Only »

Glad I was able to help Anti! :) Let's both hope it keeps working, eh? You took a VERY bold and brave move to try that too. But that's also the FUN of playing with Linux, eh? ;) And especially the very nice thing about Puppy in particular: Break him---and in a few minutes you can have a brand-new install all set up and ready to cruise the net, crunch numbers, do digital graphics, make music files, or visit a wormhole and black hole if you know where to look on the net! (Space.com)

The possibilities are as endless as the human imagination---and then some. ;)

Again: Glad I could be of small help.

Amicalement/Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#8 Post by Béèm »

With Dingo 405 I couldn't change the timezone at all. Got a weird gtk error message. In fact I didn't have the timezone directory at all.
Mu was nice enough to upload his and now I can change the timezone at will.

Weird business this timezone in Puppy/Dingo
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Larro

#9 Post by Larro »

Recently I've started using 4.12 after using 3.01 for a very long time. The reason is unrelated to this post (trying to get Xinerama working), but I must say that I don't recall having any problems getting the time right in 3.01.

In 3.01 I was using the KDE.sfs file so this may have had something to do with this (alas! I can't seem to load this module in 4.12).

The reason I am absolutely positive my time was set "right" was that Last.fm scrobbler synchronized without a hitch (time synch is a prerequisite for logging in with user name and password). Even without the kde module loaded I believe I was able to synch Last.fm...hmm.

Hence! Why I am replying to this post right now, lol. My media player (Songbird) can not login to Last.fm...because the time is "wrong".

Just my two cents. I'll follow some of the suggestions above.

Thanks.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

Eyes-Only wrote:Hi Anti,

I believe you'll find what BruceB was attempting to tell you---in a rather humorous way (but it got lost? ;) )---was that this time thing has been an eternally (pun intended) on-going problem with Puppy that even BarryK, the Dev, hasn't quite been able to figure out.

At one time I'd gotten mine to work. The way I did it was---and I don't recommend everyone trying this!---was to completely erase/delete everything dealing with "time" on the hard drive install of my Puppy-Dingo 4.00. (That means the two files dealing with "time" in "/etc" and the "zoneinfo" directory in "/usr/share".)

What I did next was rather "unorthodox" to say the least: I hauled over the files from my LinuxMint-4.00 replacing those that I'd deleted in Puppy, and then some of course. However, the caveat is that this disables the ability to reset your time from the "Menu>Desktop>Set time". So how did I do it? I rebooted. It picked up my system clock as Puppy, for some ungodly reason, always decided to reset itself to my computer's localtime (hardware clock) rather than realtime---since my LinuxMint was set for ntpdate it was always being refreshed by Washington's atomic clock whenever I worked in that distro---and hence that's how Puppy would keep the time straight.

LinuxMint-4.0 is now a thing of the past for me, however, Puppy keeps perfect step with my Parsix partition---since LinuxMint and Parsix both share Debian as the mother/grandmother base.

I only have trouble with Puppy now and time whenever I choose to use Mandriva or NimbleX... -slap head-

Keeps life interesting at least.

Amicalement/Cheers,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
Perhaps some kind soul will make a .pet that does what Eyes-Only describes. :)