What is the best remote desktop solution?

Booting, installing, newbie
ahiemstra

What is the best remote desktop solution?

#1 Post by ahiemstra »

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to remotely access my Puppy Linux box. Here is the situation:
  • The box will normally not have a screen/keyboard attached to it.
  • The solution should work directly after starting/rebooting Puppy, without first attaching a keyboard/screen to the box.
  • I will need to access the Puppy box from both another Puppy system as well as from Windows XP/Vista.
  • I am running vanilla Puppy v4.00.

What is the best solution to achieve this?

What are the steps to install the software?

Regards, Arjen.
Last edited by ahiemstra on Mon 11 Aug 2008, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.
gary101

#2 Post by gary101 »

Hi ahiemstra

I use remote access a lot, though I haver not tried from a windows machine to puppy, but I guess this would work just as well as from puppy to puppy/puppy to windows.

I use the x11vnc_server-0.9.4B.pet on the target machine download from here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=27424

If you are behind a firewall/router you will have to forward ports 5500, 5580 & 5590 to your target computers IP address.

For your needs you will have to start the server on boot, you will have this option the first time you start the server when you assign a password to it.

You should then be able to access your remote computer from any machine that has a vnc viewer installed by putting in the gateway IP address of the target computer followed by the display number which by default is 0 eg 83.xxx.xxx.xxx:0

Hope this helps.

Gary
ahiemstra

#3 Post by ahiemstra »

This looks good gary101!

I installed it without an issue so far. I was able to see the desktop from my iPhone. Now I need to install it on my VGA & keyboard-less box to see if that works too.

Thanks so far. I'll come back when it doesn't work. :lol:
Spanky

#4 Post by Spanky »

My needs were slightly different, and I went a different route. However there may be some more aspects to consider.

I remotely access my home puppy from the Internet. A TightVNC server provides the virtual desktop and an openSSH server provides the strong authentication and encryption.

My home network is on a DSL modem and wireless router. Although the ISP assigned IP address seldom changes (perhaps only when the modem is turned off/on?), I use the service provided by DynDNS which assigns a URL to my (dynamic) IP address. There is a pet somewhere of a program which keeps DynDNS apprised of my current IP address.

At the remote end, I use openSSH and TightVNC viewer (on Linux) or PuTTY and TightVNC viewer (on Windows).

Spanky
ahiemstra

#5 Post by ahiemstra »

That is what I originally wanted. But I got issues with missing libraries as I installed TightVNC. I did not have that issue with X11VNC. And X11VNC does the job for me.

Thanks for reporting though, I might come back to you about that in the future.