How can I run Puppy Linux without X server

Booting, installing, newbie
tommyhill

How can I run Puppy Linux without X server

#1 Post by tommyhill »

I would like to run a Ventrilo server without X server... Does anyone know how to turn off X server... ?

Tommy

MU

#2 Post by MU »

rename /usr/X11R7/bin/xwin

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

Anti

#3 Post by Anti »

I edited the file extlinux.conf. I added pfix=nox in the file and X is not started automatically.

My install is a full install to a CF but maybe you could use the same method on your install anyway.

tommyhill

#4 Post by tommyhill »

Thanks Mark -

One more question :) If I want ventrilo to start automatically, where to I place the program name and path ?

Tommy

tommyhill

#5 Post by tommyhill »

Thanks Anti -

I'm not sure where the extlinux.conf file is located, but I'll give it a try...

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

extlinux.conf is called syslinux.cfg in USB installs, or isolinux.cfg in LiveCD, and is located on the USB drive or CD, respectively. Modifying isolinux.cfg would require burning a new CD of course... You can test this option in LiveCD installs by supplying it during the 5-second pause, like this:
puppy pfix=nox
That isn't permanent though.

If you use a full or frugal install, you'd modify the menu.lst file instead, which is usually at /boot/grub/menu.lst of whatever partition Grub is installed on.

You could also just edit /etc/profile to not start X (it's near the bottom).

To auto-start things, these are two ways: Add a command to /etc/rc.d/rc.local, write a starter script that accepts 'start' and 'stop' options and place it in /etc/init.d.

Note: You can't use the /root/Startup method in this case because that only runs after X has started.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

tommyhill

#7 Post by tommyhill »

Thanks Pizzasgood -

I found the file you were talking about... I went to the bottom and was not sure which part to remove... Do I remove everything ?

#v2.16 have gone to full ls, now need this...
#auto: only creates ansi color codes if o/p to a tty, not in a script...
alias ls='ls --color=auto'

#v1.0.5
#personal customisation file...
[ -r /etc/profile.local ] && . /etc/profile.local

if [ ! -f /usr/X11R7/bin/X ];then
#v2.00r1 now support a text-mode-only puppy...
if [ -f /usr/local/bin/elinks ];then
if [ ! -f /tmp/bootcnt.txt ];then
touch /tmp/bootcnt.txt
exec /usr/local/bin/elinks file:///usr/share/doc/index.html
fi
else
echo
echo "\\033[1;31mSorry, cannot start X. Link /usr/X11R7/bin/X missing."
echo -n "(suggestion: type 'xorgwizard' to run the Xorg Video Wizard)"
echo -e "\\033[0;39m"
fi
else
#want to go straight into X on bootup only...
if [ ! -f /tmp/bootcnt.txt ];then
touch /tmp/bootcnt.txt
# aplay -N /usr/share/audio/bark.au
dmesg > /tmp/bootkernel.log
exec xwin
fi
fi

Anti

#8 Post by Anti »

The line "exec xwin" starts X if that is what you are asking. Removing this line will prevent X from starting. There is a risk that removing the line will brake something. Either you try it or wait for a better suggestion by someone.

Pizzasgood

#9 Post by Pizzasgood »

EDIT: removed erroneous advice to avoid future confusion. The above method of commenting out 'exec xwin' works fine, use that instead.
Last edited by Pizzasgood on Sat 23 Aug 2008, 03:34, edited 2 times in total.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

tommyhill

#10 Post by tommyhill »

Thanks again for the info... I'll give it a try and see what happens...

I looked for isolinux.cfg ( not to be found ) I looked in all the directories and could not find the file isolinux.cfg... Is it possible it's been named something else ?

Where would isolinux.cfg be located ?

Bruce B

#11 Post by Bruce B »

Anti wrote:The line "exec xwin" starts X if that is what you are asking. Removing
this line will prevent X from starting. There is a risk that removing the line will brake
something. Either you try it or wait for a better suggestion by someone.
I can assure you that commenting out the 'exec xwin' line doesn't cause any
problems. I just doesn't execute xwin and leaves you at the prompt. Then if you want
you can type in xwin.

Pizzasgood

#12 Post by Pizzasgood »

Clarification:

'isolinux.cfg' is only relevant if you boot from CD. If you do, this file is located on the CD and cannot simply be edited. What you could do is dig out the .iso file you used to burn the CD and use IsoMaster to replace the file, then burn a new CD (or re-burn a CD-RW). I recommend using one of the alternate methods of disabling X in this case, as they don't require burning a new disk.

If you instead boot from USB, there will be a 'syslinux.cfg' file directly on the USB drive, which can simply be edited.

Otherwise, chances are you boot from the HD using Grub, which means you need to edit your menu.lst file, which is usually at /boot/grub/menu.lst or /mnt/home/boot/grub/menu.lst.

tommyhill

#13 Post by tommyhill »

I remastered the cd with all the suggested changes -

The good news is X server did not start... The bad news is the screen was totally blank... I did something wrong and went into some type of infinite loop.

I didn't really know how to create a start script... I just added the following line to the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file.

/root/ventrilo_srv/ventrilo_serv 'start'

That's all the information I put in the rc.local file... Then I remastered the CD and booted it up...

Where did I go wrong ?

Anti

#14 Post by Anti »

try
/root/ventrilo_srv/ventrilo_serv -f/path/to/your/ventirlo/files/ -d
instead.

the -d makes the ventrilo server run in daemon mode. The -f is the path to your ventrilo ini file and some other ventrilo files.

Section 3 in the guide describes how to run a ventrilo server. The information to get your system running seems to be there.

Here is a guide to setup the Ventrilo system:
https://ventrilo.mycp.net/docs/ventrilo_srv.htm

tommyhill

#15 Post by tommyhill »

Thanks Anti -

Then the following script should look like this :

/root/ventrilo_srv/ventrilo_serv -f/root/ventrilo_srv/ -d

I also placed the word "exit" before the following line to stop X server from running :

exit

if [ ! -f /usr/X11R7/bin/X ];then

Is this what Pizzasgood meant when he said "exit" or is it something other than the word "exit"
Last edited by tommyhill on Sat 23 Aug 2008, 01:34, edited 2 times in total.

Anti

#16 Post by Anti »

I think the command is exit 0.

Pizzasgood

#17 Post by Pizzasgood »

I'm sorry, I gave you bad advice. I just tested it, and exiting /etc/profile apparently causes you to be logged out. Puppy is set up to automatically log you in, so as soon as it logs out it tries to log back in, but then it gets kicked out again, and so on.

So don't use my advice. Just comment out the 'exec xwin' line by placing a '#' in front, like Anti and BruceB said above.

tommyhill

#18 Post by tommyhill »

Not a problem - It's better to receive bad advice than non at all LOL I'm just grateful you guys are here helping me : )

I'm going to remaster another cd as soon as I finish this message... I have a feeling it's going to work this time...

I'll keep you posted -

tommyhill

#19 Post by tommyhill »

I remastered the cd and got as far as the following screen :

Setting up network interfaces...
Executing personal config script /etc/rc.d/rc.local done

#

That's it... and I'm not sure if ventrilo is working!!! I tried connecting with the ventrilo client and there was no response.
Last edited by tommyhill on Sun 24 Aug 2008, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.

tommyhill

#20 Post by tommyhill »

I went into X-Server to check the ventrilo_srv.log and found ventrilo is working 100% The network configuration is the problem. When I checked the settings, everything was set to 0.0.0.0 ( all zeros ) I lost the original network configuration.

Is it possible to set the network configuration so it remains permanent ?