How to Check MD5 Sum the easy way

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
GeoW

#21 Post by GeoW »

Yo Wolf Pup,

Thank you for the positive feedback. I am currently over 560 views
but the positive feedback has been Lobster, Pizzasgood and you.

I think they are trying it, and I think they would complain if it did not
work as advertised. Still, it is a little unnerving.

Also, Wolf Pup, a very special thank you for turning these scripts and
mime types into .pets - allowing a five click installation.

GeoW
Pizzasgood

#22 Post by Pizzasgood »

I needed to tinker a little to get the
"Error" to come out in red. I couldn't find documentation so I just poked
at numbers until I found the one that controlled the color.
Ooops, sorry about that. I had the color worked out on my end, but I must have goofed up the copy-paste :lol: Actually, red was the first color I used, which I grabbed from something else I had. Then I fiddled to get the green.

FYI, changing the '1' in front to a '0' will either make it not-bold, or make it darker, depending on the terminal in use. For Puppy's Rxvt, the '1' does bold.

I can't remember what those are called, but I think they're usually documented in an appendix for Bash control characters or something. There's a bunch of other combinations to do things like clear the screen, move the cursor around, change the background color, make things blink, hide the cursor, etc.

I mostly just use them to make my '#' prompt a more interesting color by modifying the PS1 environment variable.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]
dogle

Juicy Bone Award

#23 Post by dogle »

GeoW, WolfPup, this is a beauty - thanks so much.

I also had some probs to begin with, so may I suggest you make your instructions even clearer - edit "md5 file" to "md5.txt file" in the last line of the Howto proper, and if possible separate the current Howto from the historical text of your original post even more definitively. [Yes we really can be that stupid out here].

This is too good to miss, so maybe links on the manual/wiki would be appropriate.