Compiz-Fusion for Puppy 4.0

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
tombh

#21 Post by tombh »

@dinky: My best wishes to dinky junior v2.0 :)
[url=http://www.tombh.co.uk/colour_memories/contribute.php]Colour-Memories Database[/url]
dinky

#22 Post by dinky »

Thanks matey... about a week now left... well, anytime actually. Cheers.
~dinky
aoiyamoto

#23 Post by aoiyamoto »

Getting this error when I try to run it:
# compiz (core) - Fatal: No GLXFBConfig for default depth, this isn't going to work

How do I fix it?
aoiyamoto

#24 Post by aoiyamoto »

# cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep dri
X.Org XInput driver : 0.7
(II) LoadModule: "dri"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri.so
(II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//intel_drv.so
ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.7
(--) intel(0): Will try to allocate texture pool for old Mesa 3D driver.
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
(EE) intel(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI.
#

Is my dri thing.
tombh

#25 Post by tombh »

What video card are you using?

Could you attach your /var/log/Xorg.0.log as a tar.gz to thread please?

Thanks.
[url=http://www.tombh.co.uk/colour_memories/contribute.php]Colour-Memories Database[/url]
aoiyamoto

#26 Post by aoiyamoto »

I'm not 100%, but I think it's intel.

Log attached. Tell me if it's the right one, or I need to send another one after doing something.
Attachments
xorglog.tar.gz
my log
(7.75 KiB) Downloaded 518 times
aoiyamoto

#27 Post by aoiyamoto »

Here's another one, after I tried running compiz again.
Attachments
2nd.tar.gz
2nd log
(19.47 KiB) Downloaded 488 times
tombh

#28 Post by tombh »

Thank you aoiyamoto for this, I am 99% certain that your problem is caused by a bug that fails to fetch the i915 module from zdrv_400.sfs, to remedy this please add the line

Code: Select all

modprobe -n i915
to the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local and reboot.

I have now amended the How To for Intel cards to include this fix.
cb88

#29 Post by cb88 »

tom you might want to add that you can also use rox as the desktop in combination with a *box WM ie openbox oroborox fluxbox etc....

start rox with rox -S then run the WM in the .xinitrc or just start it with a simple script
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30
aoiyamoto

#30 Post by aoiyamoto »

Thank you very much. it now "works" enough to not crash when I try it, but I am getting two new errors. first is "Can't load plug-in dbus." and second is that the emerald theme thing isn't showing up even with emerald --replace. I had to type emerald --replace. after I got the dbus error so I could get te window buttons to show up, but there is no window. Also, is there a way I can use my other window border instead of emerald?

edit: fixed the emerald theme thing, but I'd still like to know if I can use others.

edit 2: The CCMM python package is missing "libtcl8.5.so and libtk.8.5.so"
Can someone tell me where to get those? Google doesn't help much for them.
tex

same problem

#31 Post by tex »

Compiz is working, but I cannot configure it. I am missing libtk8.5.so and libtel8.5.so which belong to: usr/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/_tkinter.so. I too have looked and cannot find any info. I really appreciate this great how to!
tombh

#32 Post by tombh »

@cb88: I've never tried that myself, but thanks for mentioning it.

@aoiyamoto: Great news! Thanks for persevering, it will inspire others I'm sure. The dbus error is just a warning and nothing to worry about, if you autostart CF at boot time then you won't see any errors. As far as I know the only other window-decorators, as they're called, that you can have with CF are the gtk-window-decorator and the kde-window-decorator, neither of which are included with my CF dotpet -- they need to be configured in at compile time. However, forum member wow has a CF dotpet for Puppy 4 that does have the gtk-window-decorator with it.

@tex: This is great news too! What graphics card do you have?

I'm going tohave to look into these missing python deps as I've not come across the problem before -- though I suspect it is to do with the fact that my How To links to the Puppy 3 version of Python. Ah! stevenbinion has compile python and essential modules for Puppy 4. You will need the python-cairo, python-gtk and python-gobject modules too remember. I think they'll already be included if you decide to use stevenbinion's SFS. I'm not sure whether installing this newer version will overwrite the older version. Please let me know how this goes, so I can update the How To, if there is success.
aoiyamoto

#33 Post by aoiyamoto »

Still missing those two files after installing all of his .pets.
Also, I don't know if I should or not, but I don't have a " /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ccm/" directory.
Max Headroom

Sorry Tom I'm Feeling Soo Stupid!

#34 Post by Max Headroom »

:? My Card is NVidia GeForce FX5200, does that mean it is Gf5?
tex

System and Graphics card

#35 Post by tex »

I have a Dell 700m system with Intel(R) 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller. I am using SkinnyPup 4.0a. I installed XFCE-442-Dingo.pet and it needed zlibsCups.pet. I followed all your suggestions for installing Compiz. Adding modprobe -n i915 to rc.local fixed my dri problem.
Thanks again!
aoiyamoto

#36 Post by aoiyamoto »

Okay, so I managed to fix everything, or at least 90% of it by just taking the lib files I needed and other files I needed from wNOP. Anyway, I need help with a few things.

First off, when I have my windowmanager text file set to startxfce4 it loads up my icewm than my xfce4m also, it paints the icewm screen until I press a buttion, or until I click something. This does not happen if I type startxfce4 at the prompt though. So is there a way I can have it call startxfce4 instead of startx?

Secondly, Where do I put the line "LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 compiz --replace --indirect-rendering --sm-disable ccp &" ?? I need to know exact placement, cause I didn't know where near the top to place it.

Thanks for all your help so far, by the way.
tex

Tried .sfs and .pets

#37 Post by tex »

I was wondering where on the menu ccsm should be? It is not on my menu and will not start from the terminal with the ccsm command. Is that because of the missing python files? I uninstalled python for ccsm and installed the .sfs from Steve Binion, but that did not cause ccsm to work and my windows became huge. I tried installing all the .pets, but I came up with other missing files, libORBit-imodule-2.so.0 and libORBit-2.so.0. Compiz runs at start, but I cannot configure it.

Aoiyamoto, my .xinitrc file starts like this:
!/bin/sh
# $Xorg: xinitrc.cpp,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:54:30 cpqbld Exp $
LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 compiz --replace --indirect-rendering --sm-disable ccp &
sleep 3
37fleetwood

#38 Post by 37fleetwood »

ok, I'm here. I have an unaltered wNOP cd on my computer.what do we need to do first? tell me exactly what to do and I'll do it and we'll get this thing working. first order of business is to get 3d accelleration working without actually running it. I can either boot in with vesa or I can edit xorg.conf from the xorg wizard and remove

# Needed for Compiz-Fusion to function 
Load "dri"
which will get xorg going but not 3d accelleration. which is best for you? also I understand from some of the reference threads that I need to be in 24 bit color which is no problem. xorg will let me run 1440 x 900 @ 24bit color with no problems. I've been reading the posts and none of them address what to do if you can't get the computer to run in xorg with 3d messed up. they all seem to assume the computer will at least run without the screen scrambled so I was lost as to what i should do. I can't really do the diagnostic stuff described as it requires dri to be loaded, doesn't it? also do you think the fact that I'm running on the DVI cable have any bearing on the situation? I know I tried suse once and it would go on svga but not on DVI. maybe I'll try restarting hooked the other way just for giggles.
Scott 8)
Last edited by 37fleetwood on Tue 23 Sep 2008, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
tombh

#39 Post by tombh »

@aoiyamoto: I reckon those missing files are part of the Tk toolkit (a widget library like GTK) which Barry stopped supporting by default in Puppy 4. I wonder though whether just installing all stevenbinion's pets will automatically replace the old python. What do you get when you type

python --version
My feeling is that stevenbinion would have compiled his python in Puppy 4 without Tk, thus making his python pets non-Tk dependant. Anyway, CCSM works now, that's the main thing!

Does tex's advice for .xinitrc help?
Aoiyamoto, my .xinitrc file starts like this:
!/bin/sh
# $Xorg: xinitrc.cpp,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:54:30 cpqbld Exp $
LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 compiz --replace --indirect-rendering --sm-disable ccp &
sleep 3
@Max Headroom: I reckon it does -- go for it!

@tex: Fantastic! Compiz-Fusion running in SkinnyPup, you're paving the way to making any puplet wobbly-compatible :) So where are you now with CCSM? You've uninstalled python_for_CCSM and installed stevenbinion's SFS and pets? I would suggest only using one -- either the pets or the SFS. What happens when you type

python --version
Yes, CCSM should have a menu entry, what happens when you type

which ccsm
and what is the read out when you just type

ccsm
@Scott: Hi there, we need to start with Puppy 4 here, remeber wNOP is based on Puppy 3 and is not applicable to this How To -- so get either the standard Puppy 4 Dingo or forum member grey's NOP 4.0. Then let me know how it goes following the instructions to set up DRI...
37fleetwood

#40 Post by 37fleetwood »

ok, running nop4.0 with xorg 1440 x 900 @24bit color boots fine.
installed "xorg_xorg_full_dri-7.3.pet" and made changes to "findhostbridge" and "rc.local" as directed, also made the changes to "xorg.conf" as directed.
saved to hard drive so I could still use the disc later after however many tries this takes. upon reboot same scrambled crap I've been getting with wNOP v0.2
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and restart x in vesa.
downloaded "glxinfo" (which is a .pup by the way and NOP doesn't have the stuff to allow it to be installed, and I didn't feel like wading through all the forum to find it! it worked withought it anyway I think.)
ran

glxinfo | grep dri
resulting in:

Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual
ran

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep dri
resulting in:

sh-3.00# cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep dri
        X.Org XInput driver : 0.7
(II) LoadModule: "dri"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri.so
(II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//ati_drv.so
(II) ATI: ATI driver wrapper (version 6.7.195) for chipsets: mach64, rage128, radeon
(II) Loading /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//radeon_drv.so
(II) RADEON(0): [dri] Found DRI library version 1.3.0 and kernel module version 1.25.0
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] created "radeon" driver at busid "pci:0000:01:00.0"
(II) RADEON(0): [dri] Visual configs initialized
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x23
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x24
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x25
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x26
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x27
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x28
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x29
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2a
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2b
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2c
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2d
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2e
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2f
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x30
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x31
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x32
(II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/X11R7/lib/dri/r200_dri.so
sh-3.00# 
again, sorry I'm too new to know much about what this all means. :oops: I can however see clearly enough that something is saying it doesn't support something I have. please let me know what to do next.
thanks
Scott 8)