How to save to floppy disk?

Booting, installing, newbie
Ketracel

How to save to floppy disk?

#1 Post by Ketracel »

I've written something in abiword, I'd like to save it to the floppy disk drive.

How do I do that?

when I go to save, I can't find anything that looks like a: or floppy ???

I've looked in root and elsewhere...

HALP! need this ASAP!

thank you!!

alienjeff

#2 Post by alienjeff »

First you must "mount" the floppy. Use Pmount for this. Then when you go to save, look for /mnt/fd0.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

Ketracel

#3 Post by Ketracel »

I found the drive icon at the tray (bottom of screen) and clicked on it and said to mount floppy but it said:

"unable to mount fd0"
in red and I clicked ok

8-bit

#4 Post by 8-bit »

Did you have the floppy disk inserted before you tried to mount it by clicking on the floppy icon?
Was the floppy disk formated?
Under Filesystem in the menu you should find an entry that says format floppy disk.
When you go to save your document to floppy, you can save it to /mnt/fd0 or save it to your hard drive and then drag the file to the open floppy drive window and select copy.
I say select copy rather than move because that way if it messes up you have a backup on your hard drive.

Ketracel

#5 Post by Ketracel »

yes, I had the floppy disk in there when I clicked to mount (pmount - I think)

so what does that mean?

I don't think the floppy is formatted or if it is it is formatted for windows

sorry but the rest of what you wrote flew over my head... could you please write it in step by step instructions? that I can follow.

thank you

8-bit

#6 Post by 8-bit »

It sounds like you are running Puppy 4.
So here goes.
(1) Insert floppy (I hope we are talking about an internal and not USB one.)
(2) Click MENU
(3) Click SYSTEM
(4) Click FORMAT FLOPPY
(5) Click on the Floppy icon if you have Hotpup running.
The floppy should mount and an empty window with /mnt/floppy shown in the title bar of the window.

Drag your saved file to the floppy window.
When you close the window, the floppy will be unmounted and the file will have been written to it.
Do not remove the floppy before you close the window and get the prompt to unmount it!

This has also shown me a bug using AbiWord
I tried to save to /mnt/floppy and got a message saying it could not save to ///mnt/floppy!
I am now wondering where the xtra // came from.
So for now, just save it to the hard drive and copy the file to the floppy by dragging it to the floppy window.

Ketracel

#7 Post by Ketracel »

Thanks, I've followed your instructions but I'm confused. when I go to save the file from abiword, I still don't see the floppy fd0 or anything like that as an option!

I want to save the file to the floppy disk. you mentioned to drag/drop the file but I'm not sure what you mean by that. do you mean to open the window/folder which contains the file and then the floppy directory/window folder and then to drag/drop?

is there a simpler way of doing this? like just telling abiword, save as... then the location and filename?

I come from the land of windows where this stuff is already taken care of.

why do I need to do all these steps just to use a floppy? shouldn't the fact that I put a floppy in the drive automatically signal that I want to use it?

also, is there anything else I need to prepare on this laptop? I mean, if this is what I have to do to get be able to use a floppy, what do I have to do to use the CD rom? or to connect to the internet? or to use a wireless usb adapter?

these are all simple things which I'm using to just doing on a windows platform. do they also have a long process to set up?

one more Q re the floppy, can I take the floppy that I've just (hypotethically) put a file on, and put it into a windows machine?

will it be able to read it?

thank you!

Bruce B

#8 Post by Bruce B »

The floppy disk format was called IBM format. Virtually all disks come formatted in the box.

These days I find about 1 in 3 new floppies are bad out of the box.

Linux can read this format and the alternate os can also.

You must mount the disk before copying to it.

Saving from Abiword? Sure save to /mnt/floppy after it's mounted.

Puppy used to include a GUI for DOS, look in your official pet packages for mtoolsfm. It makes things more DOS like for you and therefore maybeeasier.

But this should not be a hard task to perform.

8-bit

#9 Post by 8-bit »

Bruce B wrote:You must mount the disk before copying to it.

Saving from Abiword? Sure save to /mnt/floppy after it's mounted.

Bruce B:
I tried writing a oneliner in AbiWord and saving it to /mnt/floppy.
I got an error that it could not save to: ///mnt/floppy!
In the /mnt directory, the properties of floppy show it as a mount point.
In the same directory, fd0's properties show it as an inode directory.
I can save a file to /mnt/fd0 after mounting the floppy using Pmount and have the file appear on the floppy. But no such luck using /mnt/floppy when I use the HotPup icon to mount it.
So is this an issue of floppy being classified as a mount point and not an inode directory?
Or is it a bug with AbiWord inserting the 2 additional forward slashes in the filename.
I posted a message in the bug section on this and I am sure you can duplicate my error!