Puppy 4: Firefox closing, caps lock staying on

Using applications, configuring, problems
blacktulipgirl

Puppy 4: Firefox closing, caps lock staying on

#1 Post by blacktulipgirl »

I installed Puppy 4.0 a while ago, and I am now running a dual boot with Windows, full install, with a bootleg copy of XP that has most of the extras stripped away. I have an Acer 3623 Laptop with 256MB of RAM and 40G HD. Its about 2 years old, I am the second owner.

I have installed Firefox 3.02 and it kept closing on me suddenly, so I installed Flash 7 and disabled 9. That seems to help, but it still sometimes closes on its own... just not every time. Should I completely uninstall 9? How would I do that?

Also, just in the last month my caps lock key will stay locked after pressing it, and i have to hold it down for ages to get it to stop... sometimes it can take 10 minutes. This is really ridiculous and disruptive. I want to use my Puppy side mostly and just use XP for school (I needed it for my online math course) but I have found myself using XP more and more because I needed to be able to write emails without the browser closing on me and not have caps lock engaged all the time... so people don't think I'm screaming at them.

Anyhow, has anyone got some helpful ideas? Let me know if you need more info.

Emms
[b][color=darkred]"I'm shiny, Captain."[/color][/b] Kaylee on Firefly [i](my fave show of all time!)[/i]

Acer Aspire 3623 Laptop w/256MB RAM, 40G HD, Atheros AR5005G Wireless, Intel Celeron M, Running Puppy 4.0 Full Install!!!

I LOVE PUPPY!!!

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

hi Emms...
I have installed Firefox 3.02 and it kept closing on me suddenly, so I installed Flash 7 and disabled 9. That seems to help, but it still sometimes closes on its own... just not every time. Should I completely uninstall 9? How would I do that?

the flash plugin will be somewhere like /usr/lib/firefox/plugins or could be in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugin. if 9 is still there its could still be running. check about:plugins in the address bar or right click on a flash movie to get version.

Firefox 2 maybe a more stable option...I still use 1.5 and flash 7...never has a fit.
You mention webmail...the crashing could be due to heavy javascript as well...again a different firefox/opera even though firefox3 is supposed to handle this better
.....can you choose an older version of webmail like yahoo do...i did as i found the new version far too slow (though didn't crash but felt like it would)

Keyboard....

i found this suggestion!!
try hitting Ctrl, then ALT, then Shift
secound finding...
run in console
xmodmap -e "remove lock = Caps_Lock"
disables caps lock...might work...i like that one...might use it myself :)

other suggestions welcome....

regards

mike

blacktulipgirl

#3 Post by blacktulipgirl »

Hi Mike!!
secound finding...run in console

This worked! So no more caps lock problem thank god.
mikeb wrote:the flash plugin will be somewhere like /usr/lib/firefox/plugins or could be in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugin. if 9 is still there its could still be running. check about:plugins in the address bar or right click on a flash movie to get version.

Firefox 2 maybe a more stable option...I still use 1.5 and flash 7...never has a fit.

But I can't find the flash 9 files where you specified, but if I type in "flash" to pfind I get lots of files and two files in /root/.packages/unleashed/ that are called "flashplayer-9.0.124.0.files" and "flashplayer-9.0.48.0.files" they open in Geany and say file locations- /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplayer.xpt and /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

Do I delete these files? or the files they list? I want to hold off using FF2 because I like 3... despite its closing. I tried 2 and I didn't like using it as much. Do you think my computer just can't handle 3?
You mention webmail...the crashing could be due to heavy javascript as well...again a different firefox/opera even though firefox3 is supposed to handle this better
.....can you choose an older version of webmail like yahoo do...i did as i found the new version far too slow (though didn't crash but felt like it would)
I'm using Gmail... is that java heavy? I'm not a big opera fan... I tried it found it didn't work nearly as well as it should.

I like Firefox, it is what I'm used to. I tried different browsers and I just don't like them as much. I would like to make 3 work, but if not possible at all, I would use 2 over opera.

Emms
[b][color=darkred]"I'm shiny, Captain."[/color][/b] Kaylee on Firefly [i](my fave show of all time!)[/i]

Acer Aspire 3623 Laptop w/256MB RAM, 40G HD, Atheros AR5005G Wireless, Intel Celeron M, Running Puppy 4.0 Full Install!!!

I LOVE PUPPY!!!

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

9.0.48.0 was supposed to be ok...124 seems better....

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplayer.xpt and /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so are what you need to be attacking/changing/punching/slapping

yo NO MORE UNWANTED CAPS

you can add

to /root/.initrc (hidden) near the top so it runs everytime you boot.

google mail...theres a link at the bottom 'basic HTML '...could try that...but doesn't seem heavy on the javascript.

You can use gmail with a client (eg thunderbird) using imap...this still gives access from anywhere if on the move...might be an option

jumping off

mike

SirDuncan

#5 Post by SirDuncan »

Gmail is very javascript heavy. In fact, all of Google's non-search stuff is. If Firefox 3 is giving you fits, try using Firefox 2. The 2 series is still being updated, at least for now, so you wouldn't really be using an outdated browser.

I haven't had Firefox 3 crash very often on me, except for when I'm typing something and I hit the "insert" key. This has been reported as happening on Firefox 2, 3, and various versions of Seamonkey. Nobody really seems to know why. If the crashing is mostly in Gmail, I would blame this bug.

Keep flyin'!
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

blacktulipgirl

#6 Post by blacktulipgirl »

SirDuncan, let me just say I love your nick, my boyfriends name is Duncan :)

Anyhow, I find FF3 crashes in almost everything. I forgot to mention this, don't know if its related, but if I use PFind, and I close it, it may appear the next time I turn on my pc, with the same search up again. So I have to close it repeatedly.

I really don't like using the html version on Gmail but if that will prevent it from crashing then so be it...

I tried to download firefox 2 twice now from these two links, because the one in my petget is 2.0.0.7:

This one said it was corrupted or something like that its Wolfpups FF2.0.0.17, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=30434 and this one is taking forever to download: http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/ttuuxxx/pr ... irefox.pet its ttuuxxs with FF2, Java and Flash...

So if you have a better link or if I should just be more patient let me know :D

Emms

I LOVE PUPPY!!!

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

Where did the firefox3 you used come from?

I recently tried the official version from the mozilla site and it works and is fairly well behaved...just a thought.
It comes just as a tar.gz that you unpack somewhere (is /opt in this case) and run from 'firefox' in the firefox folder.

If you are getting to total frustation point I could upload my trusty 1.5 version :)
no weird crashing, massive dump files and other oddities...just erm works.

mike

newsflash.....look here
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 677#235677

blacktulipgirl

#8 Post by blacktulipgirl »

mikeb wrote:9.0.48.0 was supposed to be ok...124 seems better....

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplayer.xpt and /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so are what you need to be attacking/changing/punching/slapping
mike
nope, the only ones coming up say they are Flash 7 files.

Also my download of FF2 the second one that was taking so long, by ttuuxxs finished... and then dissapeared. A search for firefox.pet did not bring up the file either.

Now I really need to find a reliable download of it!!

Emms

I LOVE PUPPY!!!

blacktulipgirl

#9 Post by blacktulipgirl »

mikeb wrote: newsflash.....look here
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 677#235677
I downloaded this, and there was the same problem- it says its corrupted, won't unpack... wtf is wrong with this pc!!! I never had problems with downloads before!

I don't know where my FF3 came from... It was from this forum, though... I have to run out to the grocery store but I will check later.

I am getting a bit despondent.

Emms :cry:

I LOVE PUPPY!!!

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

hmm...either corrupted downloading or the pet handler is playing up.

There is/was a small program called pwget ...uses wget which is a simple but efficient file downloader...you could try downloading with that.

as a further test try downloading and clicking on it to extract this...

http://indogo.org/firefox_1.5.tar.gz

chin up

mike