Muppy 008.4c (final release)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Ray

#201 Post by Ray »

Newcomer to Muppy (and Puppy) and have installed the Muppy live cd version onto a spare hard drive. I have downloaded the Muppy Dvd version, checksum verified, burnt to dvd-rw at 2.4 using K3b and verified the burn. My attempts to load the live dvd have been less than successful, I am trying to run on the same computer that I installed Muppy Livecd final so the computer is probably not the problem. The machine has 2GB ram, the process messages are as follows:

Loading the msy_084_sfs main file copying to ram failed
Writing /mnt/tmpfs/msy_084_sfs ; No space left on device
Mount mounting /dev/loop0 on /pup_r02 failed
Dumping last lines of kernel log
<6>Ext3-fs mounted file system with ordered data mode
<6>kjournald starting commit interval 5 seconds
<6>Ext3 FS on hdc4 internal journal
<6>Ext3-fs mounted filesystem with ordered data mode
Pausing for 60 seconds
Setup unionfs layered filesystem Done
Perform 'switch_root' to the new filesystem - kernel panic - not syncing. Attempted to kill init

The hard drives used have in excess of 30GB spare so I guess that I am probably doing something wrong, I have tried the pfix=ram option with much the same result.

Anyone with any idea why the Live dvd does not boot with this configuration.

Thanks in advance.

Ray
Auda

#202 Post by Auda »

I have tried Muppy and like everyone else I'm impressed.
However I have to re-enter my static IP address every time, its not saved as other settings are. It boots directly to KDE for example.

Muppy server has a similar problem but worse, it wont accept any static address, says that its invalid even the one it gets via DHCP !

I also can't play videos in Muppy. Mplayer has sound but no video and the other player has video but no sound or vise-versa

Auda
Ray

#203 Post by Ray »

Refer my post 2 up re problems.

I have now tried the Muppy Livedvd on one of my other computers and it has loaded without any problems at all. The problem would seem to be the relationship between the recorded dvd or the dvd player, they just don't play nicely together. Since I now know the Live dvd is functional I'll reburn to another type of dvd and see how I go.

Ray
MU

#204 Post by MU »

Auda,

right-click mplayer to get the Preferences menu.
There you can set a different driver in "Video".
x11 should always work.
The others support acceleration and stretching, if the card supports it.

Concerning the IP:
Please try the latest network-wizard:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=315
The oct-5th dotpet.

You also might try to delete/move /etc/init.d/rc.muppy-autoconnect.
It runs dhcp at startup.
Maybe that conflicts with the wizard using a static IP?

Mark
MU

#205 Post by MU »

Ray, at moment I have no idea.
We see from messages here, and other threads, that some computers just fail.
On some, the version with kernel 2.6.21.7 works.
On others, only k2.6.25.16.
On some, both work.
And very seldom, none.

This happens with Muppy and Puppy, though I once have read, that Puppy works, but Muppy did not.

However, your error is very untypical.
If it is an issue with your DVD drive, you might have luck using a frugal installation.
As you used k3b to burn, there is already another Linux?
If yes, one might just copy vmlinuz, initrd.gz, msy_084.sfs and zmsy_084.sfs to an own folder like /muppy0084.
Then add some lines to the grub bootloader from the other Linux.

I could post examples, if you need them, then please tell me, to what drive you copied the files.
Mark
shr1k

#206 Post by shr1k »

:D WOW
This is working great on my hp lap top
Compaq Presario v6719nr
wireless -with madwifi the patched version for the eepc
same xorg set up and procedure as wNOP ( I have to edit xorg from the wizard to get the nvida driver to work)
most of the media players have video some dont have sound
compiz works
wine works
pnethood works( I never could get that to work before)
I have to run the network wizard at each boot. settings don't stick
I am booting the Muppy-Mini and the addons and mega pack from an 8 gig usb stick. I set the usb stick up from wNOP with out even burning a cd. That took me some time and quite a few tries to get it right, as I have never booted from usb.
If any one has a similar laptop and needs some help please ask I will do my best to help.

Thanks for all the work that went into this.
I know I will have some questions when I use this some more.
Thanks again
zgp152

#207 Post by zgp152 »

I reported a few messages earlier about bad experiences with LiveDVD

My prime 2 Gig DVD is Memorex DVD-R, and it works well.

I again tried to use the other DVD (800Meg) but it does not find the save file and what's more surprising, it claims that the previous session had ended uncleanly. So it proposed that the backup file be taken to use. I allowed it to do it, but the boot went only halfway and ended in # prompt. I exited by powering off.

1) Maybe rrror created in burning the second DVD, or bad type in the first place.
It is DVD-RW (read-write, minus!), made by Sony. Burned on low speed from ISO with BURNCDCC (content check ON).

2) Something else?

I suspect that it is the DVD type.

Verdict, anyone?

zgp152
MU

#208 Post by MU »

zgp152
but the boot went only halfway and ended in # prompt.
Here you must type:
xwin

This prompt appears, if Muppy was shutdown improperly.
Mark
zgp152

#209 Post by zgp152 »

MU wrote:zgp152
but the boot went only halfway and ended in # prompt.
Here you must type:
xwin

This prompt appears, if Muppy was shutdown improperly.
Mark
Yes I know that it is the default thing to do. I tried earlier to do it, but it did not lead to a stable result.

I bet that when I again boot with DVD-R, there will no problem, this appears with the particular LiveDVD only.

zgp152
zgp152

Multimedia worries

#210 Post by zgp152 »

Finnish Broadcasting Co (FBC) uses audio and video stream decoding that works on windows only. Bad solution for a public service! Sigh.

Having tested the multimedia players that come with Muppy, I have had very limited success with FBC. Gxine has sometimes worked a bit but inconsistently and unpredictably. So Muppy is not supporting wannabe Windows escapees in this player area. I believe other Linux distros have difficulties here as well.

As one side effect of my experiments I had CPU running at full load after closing the players. How this condition generated, I do not know. Obviously there is no "CPU cooler" button, and killing all via close/poweroff SW button seems to lead to unclean shutdown. So this time I was sure it was a condition that MU predicted (above). Indeed, after next boot xwin was the way to go on, the system started back to normal condition etc. Only my downloadings were lost as the backup file was taken into use.

I would be willing to hear about any good way to get rid of full CPU load and to avoid unclean exit!

zgp152
Auda

#211 Post by Auda »

Ok I have tried the new network-wizard and the patch neither worked. However deleting /etc/init.d/rc.muppy-autoconnect did work.

Mplayer works with x11 set, that might be a better default if it should always work.
I havent re-tried muppy server yet.

Thanks Auda
Sage

#212 Post by Sage »

Finnish Broadcasting Co (FBC) uses audio and video stream decoding that works on windows only.
Downright disloyalty. Is 'Linus' a popular name on the W Coast of the US?

We still have some problems with BBC output. The gurus are busy working on Open Source solutions, but SW expert Blair sold us down the river and awarded Billyboy an honorary gong. As they say, you get the politicians you deserve.
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#213 Post by Béèm »

Finally I decided to download the LiveCD and booted with my Virtual PC (qemu) of 512MB ram and 10GB HDD.

After some 2 hours of hard labor I finally got at the xorg/xvesa selection window.

I might have done something wrong as the next thing I saw is a login screen, asking for a userid. (and probably password)

Well I suddenly thought why not root and woofwoof and I got the command prompt.
Could type xorgwizard and chooses xvesa.
Wait and see again, will come back later.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
zgp152

Streaming SOLVED (partly)

#214 Post by zgp152 »

Sage wrote:
Finnish Broadcasting Co (FBC) uses audio and video stream decoding that works on windows only.
Downright disloyalty. Is 'Linus' a popular name on the W Coast of the US?

We still have some problems with BBC output. The gurus are busy working on Open Source solutions, but SW expert Blair sold us down the river and awarded Billyboy an honorary gong. As they say, you get the politicians you deserve.
SOLVED (partly)
To my surprise, I had success with an old computer running Firepup and viewing videostreams that I did not see earlier. See more here.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1&start=75

Yes, some of the BBC streams seem not to open with GXINE but may require RealPlayer.
Rgds ZGP152
zgp152

Muppy backup functionality for Puppy 4.00?

#215 Post by zgp152 »

Hi.

I like the way MuppyBackup works. If the functionality in Muppy is designed by MU, I would applause if he/you would create a pet with that functionality, suitable for installation in Puppy 4. In case such an addition exists already, I would grateful for a link to it. I did not see such utility in a major pet list that I studied.

Regards
Timo
MU

#216 Post by MU »

Muppybackup requires a patched initrd.gz, so it cannot be installed as a pet.

There is just a version with reduced functionality for other Puppys:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 368#222368

But that can not backupp/restore at startup, just backup the running system.

Mark
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#217 Post by Béèm »

Béèm wrote:Finally I decided to download the LiveCD and booted with my Virtual PC (qemu) of 512MB ram and 10GB HDD.

After some 2 hours of hard labor I finally got at the xorg/xvesa selection window.

I might have done something wrong as the next thing I saw is a login screen, asking for a userid. (and probably password)

The (virtual) PC is now running for a little over 10 hours.
I could define the xvesa in 1024x768x24.
I am still in the boot of CD system.

I had to start the Puppy Installer several times.

I could with gparted format the hda1 partition and the last thing I saw in the installer is the copying of files to hda1.
I can see there is now 213MB used on hda1, but in the meantime the PI did quit again, but I let go for the moment.
It is slowly rising. To where should it normally go? Up to the full size of the live CD?

What I don't understand is that muppy sees the swap partition, but don't use it.
Well that look quite logical as conky says that onle 15% of the ram from the 504MB is used.
Why not as much as possible to have more performance?
Also I see a new hdd1 device I didn't configure. It is used 5% of the 507MB. What device is this?

Up to now not very workable.

Till next report.
Time savers:
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
Béèm

#218 Post by Béèm »

Béèm wrote:
Béèm wrote:Finally I decided to download the LiveCD and booted with my Virtual PC (qemu) of 512MB ram and 10GB HDD.

I could with gparted format the hda1 partition and the last thing I saw in the installer is the copying of files to hda1.
I can see there is now 213MB used on hda1, but in the meantime the PI did quit again, but I let go for the moment.
It is slowly rising. To where should it normally go? Up to the full size of the live CD?

What I don't understand is that muppy sees the swap partition, but don't use it.
Well that look quite logical as conky says that onle 15% of the ram from the 504MB is used.
Also I see a new hdd1 device I didn't configure. It is used 5% of the 507MB. What device is this?

Till next report.
OK, uptime now 11hrs and some.
512MB written to hda1 and swap is used now for 25MB.
Still wondering why the whole process is so slow.
Time savers:
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
Béèm

#219 Post by Béèm »

Béèm wrote:
Béèm wrote:

Till next report.
OK, uptime now 11hrs and some.
512MB written to hda1 and swap is used now for 25MB.
Still wondering why the whole process is so slow.
OK now running for 13hrs and 849MB transfered to hda1.
Time to go to sleep. Will leave the PC running.
Time savers:
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
MU

#220 Post by MU »

is Puppy also so slow?
Of course it takes a while to copy 2 gig of data.
And qemu is slow.
But that now looks really extreme.
I have not enough experience with qemu, but as it emulates a whole computer I would think, that there is a driver issue.
Normal drives sometimes can be made faster using "hdparm".
That can set up DMA modes.
So maybe qemus drives cannot use DMA, and so run in a very slow defaultmode.

Mark