Pupeez 1.0 ** NEW PUPLET**

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
nutts4life

#81 Post by nutts4life »

squeeto / vg1,

vg1 is right you can edit the prefoveride file and this will give you some additional options in the menu one of which allows you to change the theme.

That said and this is a note to squeeto and vg1. I did make alot of changes to pupeez that went away from the standard puppy way of doing things. The major change being the automated menu. When you install an app, the app will not appear in the menu as i wanted to simplify the menu as much as possible.

you can do this by hand though (updating the menu file manually).

I appreciate your encouragment vg1. I have been working on a new version of pupeez ever since i first released it.

It is going to be very different, but much more powerful (equally as simple though).

The new one is using firefox 3, but i'm keeping a very close eye on firepup as this seems to be a very smart idea. I'd rather it was build on the newset gecko version though (firefox 3). As 1.5 is very old.

Thanks,

n4l

Squeeto

#82 Post by Squeeto »

Thanks for the tips Vg1.
Thanks for the puppy Nutts4life.

ttuuxxx

#83 Post by ttuuxxx »

nutts4life wrote:squeeto / vg1,

vg1 is right you can edit the prefoveride file and this will give you some additional options in the menu one of which allows you to change the theme.

That said and this is a note to squeeto and vg1. I did make alot of changes to pupeez that went away from the standard puppy way of doing things. The major change being the automated menu. When you install an app, the app will not appear in the menu as i wanted to simplify the menu as much as possible.

you can do this by hand though (updating the menu file manually).

I appreciate your encouragment vg1. I have been working on a new version of pupeez ever since i first released it.

It is going to be very different, but much more powerful (equally as simple though).

The new one is using firefox 3, but i'm keeping a very close eye on firepup as this seems to be a very smart idea. I'd rather it was build on the newset gecko version though (firefox 3). As 1.5 is very old.

Thanks,

The Gekko version in the latest firepup 4.1 isn't all that old.
Here's the specs
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.12) Gecko/20081022 Firefox/1.5.0.12
n4l
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

realistpnoy

#84 Post by realistpnoy »

i burned the iso to cd and when i restarted my laptop it says error cannot find puppy on cd boot media...how do you fix this????

Fossil

#85 Post by Fossil »

What do you see when looking at the CD? Is there just a single ISO or, is there a series of files? If it's just one large ISO, then you need to burn the disc as an image.
If you are using Windows, have you tried Burncdcc?
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downlo ... ftware.htm

realistpnoy

#86 Post by realistpnoy »

heres what it looks like inside the cd

when i tried to burn it with burncdcc using my desktop pc it says pls insert a blank disc but it is empty so i just used dvd decrypter to burn the iso

im trying to install it on my dell cpx laptop
h500gt
500mhz
p3 128 mb ram

thanks!

sullysat

#87 Post by sullysat »

realistpnoy wrote:
im trying to install it on my dell cpx laptop
h500gt
500mhz
p3 128 mb ram

thanks!
realistpnoy,

I've had similar issues with some of the CDs I've tried. Usually its been about RAM or the HD. Did you try booting with the pfix=ram option?

Pupeez is a cool puplet but I'm running the exact same hardware with Dingo 4.0 and Opera. Is there a special reason you're looking at this puplet? There might be better choices for you.

Sully

realistpnoy

#88 Post by realistpnoy »

sullysat wrote: realistpnoy,

I've had similar issues with some of the CDs I've tried. Usually its been about RAM or the HD. Did you try booting with the pfix=ram option?

Pupeez is a cool puplet but I'm running the exact same hardware with Dingo 4.0 and Opera. Is there a special reason you're looking at this puplet? There might be better choices for you.

Sully
can you recommend me linux or use the latest Puppy Linux 4.1.1? and how much ram do you have on yours sullysat? and whats pfix=ram option?

sullysat

#89 Post by sullysat »

I'm running the same machine you have.. Dell Cpx, 500MHz w/ 128MB RAM.

I'm running a full install with a 256MB swap partition.

I use this machine for web browsing, keeping up with my todo list, a tiny bit of writing, and the occasional small game. It streams video well with Seamonkey or Opera and does everything that I need to do.

Puppy 4.0, simply because its the most recent distro that reliably saves my wireless settings. 4.1, 4.1.1, and 4.1.2 have some cool and interesting features, but there are some issues that don't work well on this machine. I limit myself to one desktop because there simply isn't enough RAM for a lot of multitasking.

I've tried almost every distro made for low end hardware and none of them beat Puppy for reliability, compatibility, and speed. You don't have to use an older version, even though some of them are VERY cool, just because of your hardware.

If you're new to Puppy, or linux (like me), my recommendation is to use a 'standard' version because its just a little easier to get help since almost everybody knows how things are supposed to operate.

I love them all, but this has been my experience, especially with this particular machine.

Sully

nutts4life

#90 Post by nutts4life »

sully,

Glad you are almost enjoying pupeez.

I'd take realistpnoy advice. Download 4.1.1 and see you can burn that and run it.

I have a feeling this maybe your burner. I've had similar issues.

I use deepburner as it's the only one i could get working properly.

Anyways, try both 4.1.1. Pupeez is based on 2.17 puppy hence why it's so small. you may find some limitations with wireless etc.

Give em both a go and most importantly... enjoy it.

nutts4life.

Volhout

Pupeez and LCD driver

#91 Post by Volhout »

Enthousiastic about Puppy (2.17 and 4.1.2) I wanted to try the Pupeez 1.0 puplet. I use a Gateway Solo 2500 laptop, and have both 2.17 and 4.1.2 running on it (although 2.17 has some problem with audio).

Puppy: The LCD screen was not recognized by the wizard, so I had to manually configure it for 1024*768*16 in XorgWizard. Vesa did not work.

Pupeez: When I install pupeez is defaults to Vesa, so no video (I can see part of the desktop in a shady green, but text is not readable). I cannot see what I'n doing.
I tried to interrupt the installation sequence after "loading kernel modules" and manually start Xorgwizard. But when I do this, the manually chosen settings are ignored. Resolutions (after test) are "blank".

Any idea how I can resolve this ??

Sage

#92 Post by Sage »

1. Never buy a laptop
2. Never buy Gateway
3. Never buy proprietary junk.

If it's new, return it for a full refund because it's clearly not fit for purpose under the Sale of Goods Act. An x86 computer has a minimum specification. Yours doesn't have this. How much longer will it take to get the message out. In my opinion, America and Americans are the problem in this world. But that's all about to change, with a bit of luck?

Volhout

#93 Post by Volhout »

Sage,

Thanks for the constructive response.

vg1

#94 Post by vg1 »

Volhout,

puppeez is a good derivative of p217, one of my favourites. But it does not have xorg. I have the same problem with my old Toshiba laptop. It will only run with xorg, so cannot use pupeez there. I guess you could add xorg [there's a pet here: http://puppylinux.ca/tpp/bugs/ISO/White ... _addon.pet], and remaster it on another pc. That should work

vg

Sage

#95 Post by Sage »

Thanks for the constructive response.
You're welcome. I like to help. Try not to shoot the messenger.
I took my cue from hayagix on this occasion:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 8&start=15
although the mantra is not a new one.
Netbooks may be worth the effort, depending on your requirements. So far Toshiba haven't released one and the HP/Compaq ones don't seem to be constrained according to their usual configurations, probably because they had to rush them out to compete and their engineers weren't given enough time to bork them?

vg1

#96 Post by vg1 »

...er, the pet above won't work, it's for white fang only. But you should be able to find xorg pets in the official repos. Or just use the package manager

vg

nutts4life

#97 Post by nutts4life »

Agreed, use the pet package:
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... IC-7.0.pet

Sorry, i took Xorg out of pupeez as the idea was to get the main puppy file below 64 Mb for loading into 128 Mb RAM.

Just pop it back in and 'Roberts you fathers brother'

Thanks,

n4l

Volhout

Thanks

#98 Post by Volhout »

Thank you all for the reply.

Summarizing:
- I have downloaded the xorg package identified to a USB stick.
- I will install Pupeez on a PC that is VESA compatible and has a CD /DVD burner (and USB).
- I will install the xorg from stick
- Then I master a new pupeez CD.

This new CD should (at virgin install) show xorg setup.
I'll keep you informed of my findings.

vg1

#99 Post by vg1 »

Yes, that should work. I did it myself after I posted above. I dloaded the basic pet nutts4life mentions [albeit from the nluug mirror], and installed it. I then rebooted my frugal install, ran xorgwizard and changed to xorg. Now i'm using xorg on my main pc frugal instal. I will remaster & install on the Toshiba when I come round to it.

rgds, vg

ssme

#100 Post by ssme »

i'm a relative newbie with puppy, and with a P1 333mhz, 64mb ram, i thought pupeez would be ideal for my hardware (it runs 4.1.2, but a little slowly).

as i don't have a cd drive, i boot all my versions of puppy with unetbootin from windows. this worked fine with 4.1.2 and also edupup (based on puppy 3). essentially, you unpack the cd to the hard drive (hda1, the c drive), point unetbootin at the kernel file and the initrd file and it allows you to boot linux by rebooting.

when i try this with pupeez, it tells me it is "looking for puppy on hda1...hda4...hda5...hda6" and then "looking for pup_save.sfs on hda1...hda4...hda5...hda6", and then stops, leaving me with just a command prompt. it seems to be looking for something, but i can't figure out what it is as normally every version of puppy just zips through this stage. is there any way around this?