Wine broke puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
Nightbyer

Wine broke puppy

#1 Post by Nightbyer »

Yesterday, I installed a Wine pet. Now, whenever X is started, I get what some have referred to as the black screen of death. I've tried other windows managers but to no avail.

I could always reinstall puppy because I don't keep anything important on my laptop, but I'd like to keep all the settings and programs that I had to search around for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dingo

#2 Post by Dingo »

what wine version? Have you installed only wine or other wine related packages (like openGL), anyway, is better make a backup of puppy before install wine
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

Nightbyer

#3 Post by Nightbyer »

I believe I also installed some OpenGL thing as well! Thanks for reminding me. Is this the cause? Can I fix it?

code_m

#4 Post by code_m »

I believe that if you booted using

Code: Select all

puppy pfix=purge,nox
that it could fix your problem. Make sure to reboot as soon as you get to the promt.

Hope you the best!

Nightbyer

#5 Post by Nightbyer »

Thank you for your quick response! I am a newbie, though. How would I go about settings these boot options? I'm running a full install.

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

Edit your menu.lst file for Grub. It is probably at /boot/grub/menu.lst.

(That is a lower-case L, not a 1 or u-case i. Just in case your font leaves it ambiguous.)

Those would be added to the 'kernel' line.

I don't recall exactly what the purge option does, but the name makes me think it should be reserved for after you are out of other ideas for 'fixing' the problem.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by black screen of death. Do you mean Xorg freezes when it starts, or that it simply fails to start and dumps you back on the commandline. Sounds like you mean the former.

Either way, try checking /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see if it gives any indication as to why Xorg is dying.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#7 Post by Béèm »

Nightbyter,
I would boot from CD, mount the HDD your install is on and save /root/..... to a save place.
Then re-install.
You will have to re-install the pet's you have done before, but with the information saved from /root/..... you will get the configuration of the pets back , I suppose. Never did it.

As for installing wine, see the instructions to install glib or dri, there is a different version for the puppy versions (2,3,4)

Oh yes, I could rescue from a similar situation, but in frugal install, to copy the xinitrc from a working pup_save to the one that didn't allow to boot from.
You could maybe to the same and take the xinitrc from CD you boot of and copy it to the HDD install.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]