OpenOffice 3.0 FINAL - SFS package - ready to download

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
dogfish

#21 Post by dogfish »

Anybody know if OO will install on a pen drive? I've got win98 and puppy 4 storming along on an old Toshiba satellite 4090CDT (can't see it right now so number could be wrong). But I've got v. little hdd space, so I'd like to install OO on a pen drive and run it from there?

The DogFish
DaveS

#22 Post by DaveS »

I use Puppy totally from a 4GIG pendrive. No save/config files on the PC at all, and I use Openoffice 2,4.1, again on the pendrive with no problem. I had Puppy on the hard drive, but boot seemed slower. There is no drop in performance either, though the ramsaves take a bit longer. Great way to run Puppy if you have limited hard drive space, but of course your PC has to be able to boot from a pendrive.
disciple

#23 Post by disciple »

If your BIOS doesn't support booting from USB you can do it anyway by using a Wakepup floppy - although I guess you might as well use a liveCD with a save file on a USB disk.
But it would be painful unless you have USB2.x
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER
disciple

#24 Post by disciple »

Hang on - are you saying you've got Puppy installed on hard drive, but you want OOo on USB drive?

You could certainly do it (or on CD drive), but again, if you have slow USB it would be quite painful.

It might be a little tricky to union it, but you don't need to - you can just mount an .sfs and run it from anywhere - you would probably want to link the ooo executables and maybe menu files and things to your install though.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER
dogfish

#25 Post by dogfish »

OK, it was a late night and I wasn't making myself as clear as I could. So, take 2:

Puppy installed on hdd - works a treat and the main idea was to use it for surfing the net. More kids than PCs and it seemed a cool way to revive an old laptop that I was keeping because it has win98 and some games we have won't run on XP.

Now P2 Celeron with little hdd isn't cutting the youtube stuff very well, so not the best choice for the "youtube generation". Not being so fussy I thought if I could get OO3 on a pendrive then I could use the "clunky old thing" to work on while the kids chewed away on the newer XP bloatware.

So, how do I put OO3 on a pen drive? I'll keep puppy on hdd because I can't boot from USB.

I'm pretty good in terms of computer literacy (I don't get scared with regedit), but I'm a noob at the linux stuff (only started this week :oops: ), so I just need some clear instructions - if it can be done.

Thanks for reading the ramblingss and all the help. It will be the "service" of the linux community that will be the eventual downfall of M$.

Thanks again.
DaveS

#26 Post by DaveS »

I must say, it seems unlikely. I think the USB would have to be formatted like an additional partition, but the main problem would be the way Linux scatters files and dependencies all over the hard drive, even if each is small in itself. You could run Open Office from the .sfs file, but you would need it on your hard drive I think, and that would need 150meg of space. I will see if I can get Pup to load an sfs file from a USB as it boots from the HD, but it does not look hopeful to me..............
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#27 Post by Lobster »

Using Impress in the OO3 SFS
I have created these Puppy centric presentations:

ODP format
http://www.tmxxine.com/odp/puppy41_new.odp

PDF using export
http://www.tmxxine.com/odp/puppy41_new.pdf

Still working on them - so not quite perfect
but the Impress program is fast and stable

You can of course modify and use the presentation in any way you wish
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D
disciple

#28 Post by disciple »

I must say, it seems unlikely. I think the USB would have to be formatted like an additional partition, but the main problem would be the way Linux scatters files and dependencies all over the hard drive, even if each is small in itself.
Not sure what you're saying here - are you maybe saying that it would not work to format the USB drive as Ext2 and extract Openoffice in it?
I can't see why it shouldn't work, as it is even possible to format as ext2 and install a distro in it...
You could run Open Office from the .sfs file, but you would need it on your hard drive I think, and that would need 150meg of space.
Like I said, even if you can't union the sfs you can just click on it to mount it, and then run OOo from where it is...
Last edited by disciple on Fri 17 Oct 2008, 12:33, edited 2 times in total.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER
disciple

#29 Post by disciple »

BTW I tried the (developing) PDF import extension and it worked great!

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER
esmourguit

#30 Post by esmourguit »

Bonjour,

dogfish wrote
So, how do I put OO3 on a pen drive? I'll keep puppy on hdd because I can't boot from USB
Copy or move the directories /opt/openoffice.org and /opt/openoffice.org3 in one directory called OpenOffice, for example, in your pen drive, and you'll run scalc, simpress, swriter etc. clicking on their icons in /mnt/your_pen_drive/OpenOffice/openoffice.org/Basis3.0/program/scalc or simpress or swriter etc...
Not sure it's clear :oops:
Cordialement ;)
[url=http://moulinier.net/][color=blue][b]Toutou Linux[/b][/color][/url] - [url=http://toutoulinux.free.fr/pet.php][color=blue][b]Paquets français[/b][/color][/url]
bones01

#31 Post by bones01 »

Hi everyone, before I go to the effort of downloading a large file like this, I'd like your thoughts on how well it should run on my machine. I'm using an old Toshiba Satellite Pro 4300, Pentium 3, Celeron 600MHz, with 320MB Ram.

Tried Oxygen Office, but that wouldn't work and that may have been becuase the system couldn't handle it.

I'm using OO2.3 at the moment which seems to be working OK.

Thanks.

Bones01
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB
Dark_Fire

ooImpress fullscreen

#32 Post by Dark_Fire »

Im trying to run Open Office Impress full screen, but the menu bar at the bottom stays on top. How can I remove it?

Thanks
bones01

#33 Post by bones01 »

Downloaded it, dropped the .sfs into the right spot, and it works.

I'm pretty excited about that.

Bones01
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB
hillside

#34 Post by hillside »

Im trying to run Open Office Impress full screen, but the menu bar at the bottom stays on top. How can I remove it?
You can set the menu bar to autohide.

Menu | Desktop | JWM Configuration | Tray Management | Tray Autohide

You have to restart the window manager for it to take effect.
KC1DI

#35 Post by KC1DI »

Has anyone done a .pet OO file. I'm using a hardrive install and ths sfs file is quite cumbersome. I can't get it to auto mount in 4.1 it will mount the file but then in order to get the program have unmount and remount go to Opt etc. it's a pain.. would like to have a .pet to install the full version of OO 3.
Jim1911

#36 Post by Jim1911 »

KC1DI
I believe that since you have a HD installation that all you need to do is mount the sfs and then copy the OOo files to usr/local.
Jim
KC1DI

#37 Post by KC1DI »

Jim1911 wrote:KC1DI
I believe that since you have a HD installation that all you need to do is mount the sfs and then copy the OOo files to usr/local.
Jim
Thanks for the tip Jim that worked. now just have to find where they placed theIcons
:D
wpaule

#38 Post by wpaule »

Are there some simple instructions somewhere as to how to install this? I have downloaded the sfs file to /mnt/home, but then have to go to
/mnt/+mnt+home+mnt+home+OpenOffice-3.0.sfs/opt/openoffice.org3/program
to find swriter etc. Once there, I can run the programs ok. What have I done wrong???

Thanks in advance, Paul
DaveS

#39 Post by DaveS »

Paul, you have to activate it. Go to menu>set-up>wizard wizard>configure start up of puppy> then from boot configuration dialogue, chose 'choose which extra sfs files to load at boot up' Open Office should be showing. Add it and uncheck the ignore above user selection box. Re boot, and you will have all the menu buttons available in the usual way. Actually, when I did this, it tramped all over my desktop and put back a load of default icons I had removed :-)
wpaule

#40 Post by wpaule »

Thanks for the reply. Tried that, and I get this error message:

"Sorry, there is no SFS files in directory /mnt/home (or they all have the wrong '*_nnn.sfs' version number ) You will need to download and place one there first."

And checking the /mnt/home again, and OpenOffice-3.0.sfs is there right next to the pup_410.sfs

What am I screwing up???

cheers, Paul